Attractive data sets wanted

Eric-Jan Wagenmakers

Jan 10, 2014, 9:49:35 PM1/10/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Together with a number of colleagues, my lab is in the process of
designing an open-source alternative to SPSS. The idea is for the
program (JASP) to provide both "regular" frequentist tests and default
Bayesian tests. At first we will focus primarily on the most popular
analyses such as ANOVA and regression.

We have made a lot of progress in the past months and now we are
looking for interesting data sets that we can use as benchmark
examples. Please let me know if you have cool data sets you'd like to
share. "Cool" means easy to explain, relatively straightforward,
perhaps with interesting stimulus material, a slightly non-standard
setup, or an implausible hypothesis.

Right now we have zero data sets, so anything is welcome (t-test,
correlation, ANOVA, regression, frequency tables, etc.).

Cheers,
E.J.
Eric-Jan Wagenmakers
Department of Psychological Methods, room 2.09
University of Amsterdam
Weesperplein 4
1018 XA Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Web: www.ejwagenmakers.com
Book: www.bayesmodels.com
Email: EJ.Wage...@gmail.com
Phone: (+31) 20 525 6420

“Man follows only phantoms.”
Pierre-Simon Laplace, last words

Bob Ryan

Jan 13, 2014, 10:20:30 AM1/13/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Here is some data you can use that I believe matches the criteria you need. I've attached a copy of the publication reporting the data, as well as a code sheet, to help explain it. The data is in both Excel and SPSS format.

--- Bob Ryan

Robert S. Ryan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
385 Old Main
Box 730 - Psychology Department
Kutztown University
Kutztown, PA 19530

Voice: 484-646-4325
Fax: 610-683-4467
office email: rr...@kutztown.edu

Home:
214 Taft Ave.
Reading, PA 19605-2154
610-698-9108
cogpro...@gmail.com

=== So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains ===
=== And we never even know we have the key ===
=== (from "I'm Already Gone" by The Eagles) ===
Ryan, Wilde, & Crist 2013 Web exp vs lab.pdf
Ryan_Wilde_&_Crist_2013_Exp_2_1351_cleaned.xls
Ryan_Wilde_&_Crist_2013_Exp_2_1351_cleaned.sav
Ryan_Wilde_&_Crist_2013_Code sheet.doc

Eric-Jan Wagenmakers

Jan 13, 2014, 12:34:30 PM1/13/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bob,

This is a great data set! Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,
E.J.

Bob Ryan

Jan 13, 2014, 1:38:51 PM1/13/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Glad to help. An open source alternative to SPSS would be wonderful, especially if it were available for Linux as well as Windows and Mac,
--- Bob

Eric-Jan Wagenmakers

Jan 13, 2014, 2:20:33 PM1/13/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
That's the idea; open source and cross-platform. We hope to release a
first version of the software this year.
E.J.

Simonsohn, Uri

Jan 13, 2014, 3:01:56 PM1/13/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this will fit the bill, but the journal Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org/) has been requiring data-posting for like 2 years, plenty of datasets there.

Uri

Stephen Martin

Jan 31, 2014, 8:02:44 PM1/31/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Is there a reason one cannot use PSPP as a base?

Stephen Martin

Jan 31, 2014, 8:09:17 PM1/31/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I just realized I had another thought.

Is there any reason not to make (or improve) a front-end for R?
Is there any way I could see the JASP project, just 'for fun'?

Eric-Jan Wagenmakers

Feb 1, 2014, 4:37:19 AM2/1/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah so basically, R is the engine and there is some C++ GUI on top
that may look similar to SPSS. The code should be available on GitHub.
We can provide some more details soon.
E.J.

Denny Borsboom

Feb 1, 2014, 5:03:24 AM2/1/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Klinkt wel cool. Ga je het binnenkort een keer presenteren voor de groep?
Gr

Denny Borsboom
Department of Psychology

University of Amsterdam
Weesperplein 4
1018 XA Amsterdam
The Netherlands
+31 20 525 6882
d.bor...@uva.nl
http://sites.google.com/site/borsboomdenny/dennyborsboom

Denny Borsboom

Feb 1, 2014, 5:05:11 AM2/1/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, hit the wrong reply-button.
Best

Lutz Ostkamp

Feb 2, 2014, 9:41:54 AM2/2/14
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

have you head of http://academictorrents.com/ ?
It's a new site that indexes papers and datasets for download. The site currently has 1.5 petabytes of data, apparently.

cheers,
Lutz
signature.asc