Can't Sync to Controller 2.5 on Raspberry Pi : Error Msg: The path 'file:/../webapps/controller' doesnt exist.

johan

Oct 14, 2016, 4:37:13 PM10/14/16
to OpenRemote
I have an existing, working design in OpenRemote Designer and I only needed to create a new OpenRemote Controller based on a Raspberry Pi 2

I installed Jessie Operating System and upgraded to latest version with apt-get upgrade

oracle-java8-jdk was already the latest version installed

I installed Openremote Controller 2.5 in /opt/openremote

I started the OpenRemote Controller via sudo /opt/openremote/bin/openremote.sh start

In OpenRemote Designer, I linked to the correct MAC address of the Controller

In my Browser, I connected to the OpenRemote Controller via http://10.4.1.74:8688/controller and got the usual dialog box got to enter my login credentials

However, when I try and sync OpenRemote Designer, I get the following error msg:

         The path 'file:/../webapps/controller' doesnt exist.

Any help?

error.png

Stuart Hanlon

Oct 14, 2016, 4:40:19 PM10/14/16
to OpenRemote
I've had this one quite a lot.

I think it's to do with write permissions.

If I start OR from rc.local it works perfectly.

If I stop and restart it afterwards from a command line, even using sudo sh openremote.sh start, it has the same error.

Eric Bariaux

Oct 17, 2016, 11:51:37 AM10/17/16
to OpenRemote
Your resource.path is configured as
resource.path=../webapps/controller
in your config.properties file.

Controller will try to resolve this based on your current working directory when starting up.
So either go to /opt/openremote/bin and do a ./openremote.sh start (or run), either update your config.properties to use absolute path.

Stuart Hanlon

Jan 9, 2019, 7:36:30 AM1/9/19
to openremot...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I've just had the same issue with a new installation on an Ubuntu 16, Odroid C2, when trying to start OpenRemote using a systemD service file.

Thankfully this topic helped me to edit the

../webapps/controller/WEB-INF/classes/config.properties

file to set the absolute path :-)

The SystemD method of starting OpenRemote now works perfectly :-)

If anyone is interested, here is a copy of the text from the service file, from /etc/systemd/system

Please note that I setup a SymLink from /opt/OR-Pro to wherever my OpenRemote 2.x instance is located, but the Absolute path within config.properties is that of the OpenRemote 2.x installation

#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

# This unit gets pulled automatically into multi-user.target by
# systemd-rc-local-generator if /etc/rc.local is executable.
[Unit]
Description=OpenRemote
ConditionFileIsExecutable=/opt/OR-Pro/bin/openremote.sh
After=network.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/opt/OR-Pro/bin/openremote.sh start
ExecStartPost=/bin/bash -c "/bin/touch /var/log/openremote.log"
ExecStartPost=/bin/bash -c "/bin/echo OpenRemote  Started $(date) >> /var/log/openremote.log"
ExecStop=/bin/bash -c "/bin/echo OpenRemote stopped $(date) >> /var/log/openremote.log"
ExecStop=/opt/OR-Pro/bin/openremote.sh stop
TimeoutSec=0
RemainAfterExit=yes
StandardOutput=journal+console
StandardError=journal+console

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

   For those that would have to search for the commands for systemd methods, (like I did), here are the highlights.

create the openremote.service file in /etc/systemd/system

make sure it belongs to the root user and group

sudo chown root:root openremote.service

get systemd to reload the service files

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

enable the openremote service, so that it loads at boot up

sudo systemctl enable openremote.service

FYI

sudo systemctl disable openremote.service

will do the opposite

From a command prompt, you can use any of these commands at will.

sudo systemctl start openremote

sudo systemctl stop openremote

sudo systemctl status openremote

sudo systemctl reload openremote

Jamie Ortiz

Mar 23, 2020, 4:46:41 PM3/23/20
to openremot...@googlegroups.com
Hello, excuse my newbieness as this is the first attempt at any type of open source for me. I have this same error  The path 'file:/../webapps/controller' doesnt exist. when trying to login and cannot figure out how to get around it. I have linked my Designer to the correct Controller and all.

I am on MacOS

Thank you for any assistance.