New OpenRefine v2.6 smoke test kits available

Tom Morris

Apr 30, 2015, 1:59:05 AM4/30/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I've built new kits from the current development sources and uploaded them to Github.

https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/releases/tag/v2.6-rc1

Although they're labeled RC1, they are not real release candidates, but more like a quick checkpoint to allow us to verify all the fixes that have been made since beta 1 and figure out what remaining loose ends need to be cleaned up.

Please take them time to do some testing and provide feedback.  If you can help with updating the issue tracker as well, that would be very useful.

Tom

Thad Guidry

Apr 30, 2015, 9:02:05 AM4/30/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com

Tom
I will try to run through some testing tonight.
Thanks for triage and building!

Martin Magdinier

Apr 30, 2015, 9:11:03 AM4/30/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Thanks for putting the RC-1 together.

Should we take this as an opportunity to finish the branding change? The only things left is renaming Google Refine Expression Language to General Refine Expression Language.

If other committers / contributors are ok with this change,  change is ready for merge here: https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/pull/982

Will do some testing on the RC-1

Martin

Tom Morris

Apr 30, 2015, 10:21:30 AM4/30/15
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Martin Magdinier <martin.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Should we take this as an opportunity to finish the branding change? The only things left is renaming Google Refine Expression Language to General Refine Expression Language.

That's a small enough change to put in easily.  I've put up a survey form to collect votes from the community on a new name.

I'm also thinking about either changing Jython to Python or making it something like Python (Jython) to make it more recognizable.  I forgot to include that in my email, but will add it as a postscript.  What do folks here think?

Tom

Thad Guidry

Apr 30, 2015, 10:26:42 AM4/30/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com

I'm also thinking about either changing Jython to Python or making it something like Python (Jython) to make it more recognizable.  I forgot to include that in my email, but will add it as a postscript.  What do folks here think?

Think about a change of Jython to instead have a label of Python as an expression language in the editor dialog to make it easier for folks to understand ?

Sure. +1

Thad

Tom Morris

May 14, 2015, 3:54:43 PM5/14/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone been able to do any testing on 2.6-rc1?  On what platforms?

I'm going to add another bug to the Must Fix list because Google just turned off the API that we were using to create Google Spreadsheets uploads:

Tom

Thad Guidry

May 14, 2015, 10:39:11 PM5/14/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
My quick cursory pass with a few tests in various areas on Win7 64bit with Chrome latest:

Expression Editor: OK
Sorts: OK
Records handling: OK
Import/Export with Templates: OK
Project Saves, Creates: OK
Column handling: OK
Faceting/Operations: OK
Undo/Redo: OK

I think it looks fine actually for shipping.

Martin Magdinier

May 15, 2015, 5:33:29 PM5/15/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I've been using it on ubuntu 14.04 + firefox since the release of 2.6 RC1 and reported all the issues.
Looks fine for the next steps.

Qi should also be able to comment on the RC1

Martin

qi cui

May 15, 2015, 6:22:12 PM5/15/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I tested on the same platform as Thad. Looks fine for me.

Plus, I have 2 PR in the queue for the 2.6 milestone:
PR #1000 for issue #540 to skip the empty URL when submit the import form
If you have time, you can review/merge them and close the tickets.

There's some imported issues which are quite old. Some of them may be are not valid any more, we can also consider to close it or update it. such as:
Issue #400  Numeric facets not being refreshed after Undo/Redo

Tom Morris

May 15, 2015, 8:36:20 PM5/15/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Perhaps I'll ping the general list to see if I can scare up a Mac user or two as well as any others who'd like to be alpha testers.

Qi - I'm working my way through the PRs and will definitely get to yours before release.

All - There's not question that there are obsolete, invalid, miss-categorized issues -- not just the old one's pointed out by Qi.  All help in verifying, triaging, prioritizing, etc is gratefully accepted.

In addition to a final pass through the PRs and open issues, the other big thing on my list is to figure out the migration strategy for notifying Google Refine 2.5 users via the auto-update mechanism on the old site and directing them to download from the new site (as well as the hosting for new auto-update mechanism).

Any other loose ends that people know of?

Tom
Tom

Thad Guidry

May 15, 2015, 10:38:39 PM5/15/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, we need to pay you for doing most of the work!  Redirect BountySource funds perhaps ?

Martin Magdinier

May 28, 2015, 11:09:23 AM5/28/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Tom

Do you plan to have a RC2 to review the latest pull request submitted / merged?
How many RC should we planned before the final release?

Thanks for your help on this.

Martin

Tom Morris

May 28, 2015, 12:20:05 PM5/28/15
to openref...@googlegroups.com

I plan to create at least one more release candidate and ask for additional testers on the main Refine list.

I'm at Google I/O this week and at the Open Data Science Conference over the weekend (anyone else going?), so won't happen until next week.

Tom