Formation/Class of carriage

Andrew Powell

Dec 13, 2016, 5:54:51 AM12/13/16
Hi

Is there a way to get the Formation of the carriages on a train and also the class of train and carriage? Using Darwin or NROD

Many thanks

Andrew

Peter Beevers

Dec 13, 2016, 5:58:06 AM12/13/16
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Class of train is in the timetable.

Peter Beevers

Dec 13, 2016, 6:19:25 AM12/13/16
In both NROD and Darwin?

NROD has the schedule. I may be confused about class. When i say class I mean the wagon class. e.g. type of wagon.

We cant to know the layout or type of wagon so we can map it to a layout.

thanks

Andrew

Peter Beevers

Dec 13, 2016, 6:22:21 AM12/13/16
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Goods travel in wagons, passengers have the luxury of carriages.

Peter Beevers (07733 312404)

Dec 13, 2016, 7:03:10 AM12/13/16
Ok, yes sorry, I have been asked to get class of carriage but don't believe it is the passenger class such as first class,

Is there a means of getting the carriage code that we can use to find out more about a carriage.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Powell

Dec 13, 2016, 7:05:02 AM12/13/16
Hi

I should have also asked, what field is this under in the Darwin feeds?

Thanks

Andrew

George Goldberg

Dec 13, 2016, 7:07:27 AM12/13/16
to Andrew Powell, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
On 13 December 2016 at 12:03, 'Andrew Powell' via A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community <openrail...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Is there a means of getting the carriage code that we can use to find out more about a carriage.

The short answer to this is unfortunately no. Train "consist" data, i.e. which rolling stock is being used for which particular service, is not open.

However, you can, with varying degrees of success, get an approximate idea from the CIF schedule NR publish through the open data platform. Various fields give you some insight into what type of train might be running a particular service (this works much better for Diesel than Electric, with many electrics not being identifiable as anything more than just "EMU"). This only tells you what was planned in the timetable though, so it isn't always what happens in reality.

--
George

Andrew Powell

Dec 13, 2016, 7:13:27 AM12/13/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, andrewpe...@googlemail.com
Thanks George,

Ok so that sounds like for wagons, so sounds like I cant get that data for passenger carriages either

I appreciate the helpful response

Many thanks

Andrew

George Goldberg

Dec 13, 2016, 7:18:15 AM12/13/16
On 13 December 2016 at 12:13, 'Andrew Powell' via A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community <openrail...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Ok so that sounds like for wagons, so sounds like I cant get that data for passenger carriages either

I was referring to passenger trains. I'm not certain for freight, but I think all you can get is "Locomotive: trailing load 500 tonnes" level of information. The freight companies are pretty secretive, citing commercial reasons, so very little about their trains is open data.

--
George

Rail Ale Fan

Dec 13, 2016, 12:57:32 PM12/13/16
Hi Andrew,

FYI in case it helps, in a real-time context "length"  (number of coaches) is sometimes available from OpenLDBWS (and OpenLDBSVWS)

https://lite.realtime.nationalrail.co.uk/openldbws/

It's not yet widely populated, but the majority of Thameslink and South West Trains services include it.

Cheers,

Andrew Powell

Dec 14, 2016, 4:20:31 AM12/14/16
Thanks I will have a look at this