Asking About GuideLine on Area Source in Hazard Module.

Byung Sung Choi

Aug 20, 2015, 12:10:24 AM8/20/15
to OpenQuake Users
Dear Global Earthquake Model:

Hello.
I am a MS student of Seoul National University, South Korea.

Nowaday, I try to apply PSHA to Korea Peninsula using OQ engine.

Unfortunately, it is not well established study-field about seismic source model in korea.
After research some paper about local application of PSHA on Korea, I found that the properties about active faults are not well identified.
Since seismic hazard  is not so crictical disaster in Korea Peninsula, it seems like that some experts in Korea used area source model to perform an initial-level PSHA in Korea.

What makes me curious is that , in the case of area source without any well-identified active faulat properties, how do I set the strike, dip, rake which are needed to be input in the configuration file <.ini>?
Since I think they are properties about fault and they are also related to the surface of ruptures on a fault, I do not know how to input the appropriat values in my case...
If there is any guideline or opinion about this matter, please let me know and help the poor boy...

In addition, is there any recommandation about lower/upper seismo depth related with focal depth in OQ engine?
Although I have some professional estimations about focal depth in Korea, I have no idea on  lower/upper seismo depth...
Is there any guideline for this problem? (adding on aforementioned the strike, dip, rake matters...)

I always thank your passionate supports and advices, GEM
Hope looking your bright future.

Thank You!

Marco Pagani

Aug 24, 2015, 6:59:14 AM8/24/15
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Byung,

Thank you for your email. My notes in line.

On 20/08/15 06:10, Byung Sung Choi wrote:
> Dear Global Earthquake Model:
>
> Hello.
> I am a MS student of Seoul National University, South Korea.
>
> Nowaday, I try to apply PSHA to Korea Peninsula using OQ engine.
>
> Unfortunately, it is not well established study-field about seismic
> source model in korea.
> After research some paper about local application of PSHA on Korea, I
> found that the properties about active faults are not well identified.
> Since seismic hazard is not so crictical disaster in Korea Peninsula,
> it seems like that some experts in Korea used area source model to
> perform an initial-level PSHA in Korea.
>
> What makes me curious is that , in the case of area source without any
> well-identified active faulat properties, how do I set the strike, dip,
> rake which are needed to be input in the configuration file /<.ini>/?
> Since I think they are properties about fault and they are also related
> to the surface of ruptures on a fault, I do not know how to input the
> appropriat values in my case...
> If there is any guideline or opinion about this matter, please let me
> know and help the poor boy...

Unfortunately there are no specific guidelines for this. What you can do
is to search for seismotectonic studies and use the information
provided. Otherwise you'll have to make your own hypotheses based on the
information available.

> In addition, is there any recommandation about lower/upper seismo depth
> related with focal depth in OQ engine?

No, because these depend on the specific characteristics of the
investigated area.

> Although I have some professional estimations about focal depth in
> Korea, I have no idea on lower/upper seismo depth...
> Is there any guideline for this problem? (adding on aforementioned the
> strike, dip, rake matters...)
>
> I always thank your passionate supports and advices, GEM
> Hope looking your bright future.
>
> Thank You!

I suggest you to take a look at PSHA studies performed in areas
tectonically similar to South Korea i.e. stable continental areas.

You can take a look at the latest USGS model for US:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/products/conterminous/

The SHARE model for Europe:
http://www.share-eu.org/

and the model recently developed for the central and eastern part of US:
http://www.ceus-ssc.com/

Sorry for not being very helpful.

Best regards,

Marco

Byeong-Seong Choi

Aug 25, 2015, 4:28:38 AM8/25/15
to OpenQuake Users
I always thank for all you, GEM.

I will study harder and more about this issue.

Thank you!

2015년 8월 24일 월요일 오후 7시 59분 14초 UTC+9, Marco Pagani 님의 말:

Saeed Nozhati

Apr 16, 2021, 3:36:49 PM4/16/21
to OpenQuake Users
Do you have the full and declustred catalog of South Korea?