Open source feeders

१,१४९ भ्यु
नपढिएको पहिलो सन्देशमा जानुहोस्

cf

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, ००:३९:२८१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
I found this kickstarter project for open source feeders,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1973759599/open-source-smd-parts-feeders

There also was a project page

http://www.richardspelling.com/?p=683

But I haven't been able to find the actual design unfortunately.

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, ०१:५२:२२१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
I see 3d printed parts. 8)

Jason von Nieda

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, ०१:५४:३२१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Richard posted some of the designs to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25995

I don't know if this is complete or not. He does mention the Kickstarter on there.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Karl Lew <ka...@firepick.org> wrote:
I see 3d printed parts. 8)

varun s

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, ०९:०७:३२१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, १०:५८:१२१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Varun that is very interesting on a couple counts:
1) I cant find that part on ebay today "10488BD059" but another ratchet feeder was available for $699, so sourcing is a concern
2) they were going to make their own from laser cut but it was cheaper to hack

Personally, I would pay more for a repairable feeder with easily sourced or manufactured components. In addition, an OSHW design can be improved by the community to suit individual needs with public collaboration and review.

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, ११:२६:०८१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Ah, thanks Jason, I missed the Thingiverse stuff.

Here is what I saw:
1. tiny motor with worm gear turns sprocket wheel
2. sprocket wheel advances tape
3. unclear how tape cover is removed.

cf

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, ११:५५:३८१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
It seems like the back side of the thing has a pickup spool for the cover tape, dont know how it works

If you look cloesly you can see the cover tape is twisted and it goes back inside the feeder

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, १४:२०:२३१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
cf, that makes more sense now.

Here's my current hypothesis:
1. tiny motor with worm gear turns sprocket wheel
2. sprocket wheel pulls back cover tape
3. cover tape pullback advances component tape

That makes more sense because the thingiverse doohickey has a thin slot that probably takes the cover tape (I originally was confused about how the component tape went through that slot and why it needed to bend around the sprocket)

Jason von Nieda

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, १४:३१:१६१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Richard wrote quite a bit about his feeders and even posted some videos describing them and how they worked. I don't have the exact threads handy, but you can find them by his name.

Jason

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, १५:५९:१८१३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl, hi everybody,

Richard was here before you came with Sylvester,
He explained how it works before, check the older postings.
I remember he explained there's a dc motor with gearhead and wormdrive and sprocket, etc etc.

I think he should read our messages from time to time, if you cry loud enough he should hear you.

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ जनवरी ३१, २०:२०:१११३/१/३१
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Ami/Jason, thanks for the deja vu.

I was about to say he was using a dc motor, etc. with some sort of feedback, but there you go.

What stunned me is Richard's claim of $30 per feeder, because his feeders seem quite capable and I would have no idea how to get that price. The Shapeways cost of his feeder would easily be $10-$20. The Ponoko cost would be even higher. And gear motors on Sparkfun are about $15. And none of that includes the PCB, the worm gear or the drive sprocket. I'd guess that any attempt to source this stuff entirely vanilla-style without eBay scrounging would be about $60-$70 for just the head. That would not include reel holders or any other stuff.

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी ५, ११:२६:१११३/२/५
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
I added Zippy to the OpenPnP Hall of Machines since we keep rediscovering Richard's innovations.

Guys, don't be shy. Please add links to your own machines. It really helps us browse all the wild creativity out there.

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Machines

(cough) you, too, Ami. I would love to see more about your machine in one place. 8)

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी ५, ११:४५:४३१३/२/५
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
;-) Hi Karl,

Man, I don't like drawing, and I hate show-and-tell. Kindergarden was a nightmare I want to forget ;-)
I'll see if Sylvestre is not shy.

I've been sharing with you guys detail by detail on different aspects of my experience building it,
I'd like to think that it's useful to all of you guys, it's just that I haven't had the time to put it together in a page, writing it down, etc.
Perhaps one day, OK, no promise, and anyway it's not quite done, I have other things in mind to improve it.

For now I'm going fishing mackarel with Sylvestre.
Ciao!

cf

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी ११, १८:३५:४५१३/२/११
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

I found another design made out of lego and lift card spools :)

I found it another forum that is discussing SMT tech a lot and DIY feeders

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी ११, २३:३०:२५१३/२/११
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Yay! Lego!

The FirePick mascot is the Lego Crash Dummy minifig. 8)

Note the use of shape memory to activate the feeder. I have long wanted to use nitinol, but it's never made itself into any of my projects. It's slow and requires long spans to achieve useful contraction. See the long lengths of wire behind each feeder and the time (seconds) it takes for the wire to recover for the next feed. Great video, but I'm sticking to servos and steppers!

Thanks for the link, cf. Looks like Lady Ada has her own PnP village. 8)

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, ०४:०४:००१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
How does it work?
Is it a motor puller that advances the tape?

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, १०:२७:३७१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
The wire contracts when heated by the current passing through it. The contraction advances the ratchet and tensions the pullback spring. When the current is turned off, the spring pulls the tape forward slowly as the nitinol relaxes in about 1-2 seconds. This mechanism is very precise since nitinol contracts about 3-5% when heated. That is why you see about 8-10cm of wire behind the feeder. The current required to heat the wire varies with wire diameter, but the pull is quite strong, so the controller is simple and just sends 100-300mA to heat the wire. Elegant.

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, १०:४४:०७१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
No. I am wrong. The black cord pulls back the cover tape and is part of a security badge pullback thingy. You might use fishing weights. 8)

The nitinol is probably in a linear actuator like this
http://www.imagesco.com/nitinol/linear_muscle_wire_actuator.html

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, १०:४९:५६१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
note that the motor stroke length is, haha, 4mm. Exactly what you need for 8mm component tape advance.

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, ११:००:३७१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

You're right, it has nothing todo with lego.
Marketing gimmick!

But the "muscle" motor is interesting. How many times can it do like that?
Will it get uricemia after long run?

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, ११:५१:३६१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
You know what?
I think the badge yoyo is the most interesting part of the video.
With drag feeder and cut tape, it's the best solution for low volume feeder.

why not?

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, १२:१५:३११३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I just watched the video again and realized the gantry is nearly identical to my design...

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, १७:२१:२७१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

Here are my collected thoughts on feeder via drawing.

The gears, worm and motor are off the shelf eBay specials:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-1-PRECISION-MOULDED-PUSH-FIT-WORM-GEAR-SET-10-pieces-/160948863213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25794cc0ed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPACT-3-6-VOLT-DC-HIGH-TORQUE-MOTOR-10-pieces-/160917013856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257766c560

The small motors should have plenty torque with a 34:1 reduction.
As the motors are 24mm diameter,  staggering the pullers would give a tighter fit per tape...

Michael

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, १८:४९:२५१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

And here it is with the motors staggered allowing for tight spacing between feeders.
Feeder 1, 3 & 5 are driven off the bottom, 2, 4 & 6 from the top...

The gears are a bit narrow but still wider than the tape cover.
A guide would keep the tape cover aligned with gears.

Michael

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, २०:३७:२११३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

Hmm, a test with plastic gears on the cover tape reveals it requires a good bit of pressure to bite.
Not an insurmountable amount but that cover tape is really slippery...
A metal gear may have more bite, one metal will probably suffice.

At least with the slot sensor it won't matter if it slips.

Michael

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १२, २१:१७:१०१३/२/१२
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Easier than metal, the plastic gears are nylon 66.
A bit of heat (~268 C) and a sprinkle of fine sand might turn the gear surface into a sandpaper traction wheel...

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ००:५०:३५१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

I looked at the last couple of PCB designs I did and counted about 25 to 35 individual smd place-able parts.
With a bit of effort these designs could be trimmed to around 20 to 30 parts maybe.
About or over 90% of these parts are on 8mm tape as I tend to gravitate towards discreet parts for cost.
The other ~10% are MCUs and ICs, very few large size caps as ceramics have improved so much in capacity and price.

My machine width (minus head offsets) gives me enough space on the front to run about 48 feeders (8mm tape + ~5mm between).
After that I'd have to fit stuff in the back and/or use trays.

I had a quick peek at the options for driving 48 motors and sensing 48 slot interrupter inputs.
The MCP23017 ($1.30) is a 16 channel i/o expander for i2c, it would work for sensing as well as switching the motors via L293DD.
Four motors can be driven by a single L293DD ($3.50) or 3 with the weaker T6817 ($1.95) which happens to include the serial expander and can be daisy chained.

The half bridge is ideal (as opposed to low side fet) for switching the motors as when off it would short the motor for a more controlled stop.
At some point I'll make another isolated USB Arduino layout with i/o for 48 feeders and 5v smps.

Michael

Paul Kelly

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०३:५८:१८१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

I think the badge yoyo is the most interesting part of the video.

Seriously guys. If you think that a badge yoyo with 300mm of travel is acceptable for your application then:

A: You would be better off with  a static/strip feeder

B: You don’t need a pick and place machine, you need an assisted manual placer.

We regularly end up with tape and cover tape beards that reach the length of the workshop after ony an hour or two of operation. Having to re attach a clip on every feeder, every 300mm of tape would be a misery....

Paul Kelly | Design Engineer
CASWA Pty Ltd
9/4 Roper Street, O'Connor  WA  6163
M 0402 177280 | P +61 8 9277 0900 | F +61 8 9467 0550 | E te...@caswa.com

CASWA logo.png

                                        www.caswa.com

P Be earthsmart.  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

--

image001.png

Paul Kelly

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०४:००:०३१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

Our “gears” are more like square toothed timing pulleys.  On larger feeders (ie >= 24mm) the cover tape gets folded in half and runs through soft rubber pinch rollers...

PK

Paul Kelly | Design Engineer
CASWA Pty Ltd
9/4 Roper Street, O'Connor  WA  6163
M 0402 177280 | P +61 8 9277 0900 | F +61 8 9467 0550 | E te...@caswa.com

CASWA logo.png

                                        www.caswa.com

P Be earthsmart.  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openpnp/-/lLNSC4ui4DUJ.

image001.png

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०४:१०:१८१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
:-D I love it when PK rises up like that to keep us motivated ;-)

Paul Kelly

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०४:१२:३०१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

J Just trying to help keep it real!

PK

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openpnp/-/wmir_RWuAzYJ.

image001.png

Miroslav Pejic

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०४:४९:५८१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,
How about a picture of this "badge yoyo"? Didn' find this.
Thanks,
Miroslav
image001.png

Ami

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०९:४८:३५१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miroslav,

It's just a badge holder with retractable cord that is used to pull the smt-cover tape. I call it badge-yoyo.
You can see it in the video link sent by cf. It's the black round thing that pulls the smt cover tape.

Basically OpenPnP can do the tape advancing using drag-feeder. (the head lower a pin to drag the tape)
The remaining thing to do is to pull out the cover tape.
Normally this is done using fishing weight (around 50 gr) to pull the cover tape until the weight reach the floor.
The retractable badge holder can replace this fishing weight, which is alright if we don't have a lot of boards to run, or for some of the less used parts (1 item per board).
This thingy can pull like 60cm of tapes. For 8mm tape that gives 150 parts.
The only drawback is that your machine will look like chinese harp,

But Papa PK is right, the badge yoyo is not improving a lot from our current situation: ie. after a while we need to re-attach the clip like we raise the weight.
The challenge for us pnp-maker is to make a device to pull out the cover tape automatically, using either motorized system or mechanical system so we don't have to tend for the machine once it's launched.
We shall not give up from this task at hand! So forget the yoyo!
(Just between us, if you want to place order, it cost around 30 cents per 100 pcs, please don't tell PK ;-)

Karl Lew

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ११:०४:१५१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Michael, the more I look at your design the more I like it. The alternating up/down worm gear drives are ingenious!
And I really like that you have put yourself into the business of making us driver boards. I want one!

Why are the gears so large? They seem to be about 35mm OD. Would 18 mm work just as well?

And do you need any 2d or 3d parts that I could design for your cover tape cookie monster?

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, १२:१०:१२१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Regarding tape beards, I calculated about 20 meters for a 5k roll of parts at 4mm spacing.

Using a spool instead of pinch, if the cover (0.08mm thick) were to spool up on a receiver with a core diameter of 1cm, it would finish under 5cm diameter.
But besides the effective gearing change as it rolls larger, the take up spools would require emptying...

I should test the sand coated gear today, as well as gear to rubber roller.
Plastic on plastic requires a bit too much pinch force to gain the friction for my liking

Karl, the gear size was just eBay stock, smaller should work as well, but larger will have more area to increase traction..
Don't purchase the gears from the links I posted earlier, the worm is not m1 compatible as I've drawn it, the seller said he will be putting some m1 worms up today.

I will design the frame for cnc milling around the 9mm acyrlic I have in stock, but it should be equally translatable to 3d printing.
I think the design can have two windows for motors, where only one is populated to stagger.

For the controller, the T6817 is the cheaper part but is only stocked by digikey.
I think I will use the l293dd and the mcp23017, it will be a little more expensive but the design and programming will be simpler.

Michael Grant

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, १२:४२:५२१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

I suppose the controller should also have a push button input for each feeder.
The button would be on the feeder and would advance the tape manually for loading..

Perhaps this button can be multiplexed with the slot interrupt sensor, maybe the same.
If the button and the sensor were wired parallel, when pressed or dark sensed, the motor rolls until a low to high transition occurs.

Opto sensing is easy but it just occurred to me that capacitive sensing could also work.
And would be cheaper when using a chip like the AT42QT10xx.

Jason von Nieda

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, १३:०१:२६१३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

You are using a slot sensor to detect the holes in the tape, right? Keep in mind that some tapes are transparent. Richard Spelling ran into this with his feeders.

Jason

Paul Kelly

नपढिएको,
२०१३ फेब्रुअरी १३, ०४:२५:३११३/२/१३
प्रापक ope...@googlegroups.com

Actually, I just remembered another metric we’ve  calculated. It’s very relevant to the openPnP space (for some of you).

The stuff we make has between 30-150 components per board, with most board having <<100 components.

It’s all pretty normal gear: a micro, a power supply or two, a couple of special IC’s like RTC’s or amplifiers. Nothing exotic.

You’ve seen the video, our old girl runs at about 1000CPH.

We reckon it costs between $1000 and $2000 per hour in parts to run the machine. Ie that’s the dollar value of parts it places on a continuous basis. Now your boards may be different, but I’d bet they would still be in the high hundred$ per hour and remember, we have wholesale accounts with the big suppliers, so we get better pricing... Now, the machine produces between $5000 and $15000 of boards per hour, so I’m not (or at least my accountant isn’t) complaining..

In the context of that, a $2000-$3000 pick and place machine seems unnecessarily thrifty to me.

Not trying to demotivate, just a: explain where I’m coming from a little better, and b: point out that if an OpenPnP kit cost $5000 or $10000 (and came with feeders) then it would still be a bargain...