Checkbox Overview PDF without institution identifier

Christopher K.

May 12, 2016, 12:33:05 PM5/12/16
to OpenOLAT
Hey guys,

I am using openOLAT 10.4.11 to manage exercises at university. I use the checkbox course element to manage attendance of participants. The checkbox course element also has the nice feature to export a PDF with the list of participants and a column for signature (Button "PDF overview"). I was planning to use this PDF so students pass it around in the exercise and sign next to their name.
But unfortunately, I cannot find a way to hide the institution identifiers ("Matrikelnummern") in the exported PDF. Due to privacy protection rules of my university, I am not allowed to pass a sheet around that includes names and corresponding institution numbers. Therefore, I cannot use this sheet.

Is there a way to hide the institution numbers? Or is there some other way to achieve my goal? As a workaround, I exported an Excel sheet from the list of members and manually built a sheet for signatures based on the exported list. But I hoped I could get rid of all the excel sheets using olat... ;)

Greetings,
Christopher

Florian Gnaegi

May 12, 2016, 12:51:53 PM5/12/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher

You can’t. This is a system wide configuration, configurable in main/java/org/olat/user/propertyhandlers/_spring/userPropertiesContext.xml

Change:
<entry key="org.olat.course.nodes.cl.ui.CheckListAssessmentController">
<bean class="org.olat.user.propertyhandlers.UserPropertyUsageContext">
<property name="description" value="Table for check lists" />
<property name="propertyHandlers">
<list>
<ref bean="userPropertyFirstName" />
<ref bean="userPropertyLastName" />
<ref bean="userPropertyInstitutionalUserIdentifier" />
</list>
</property>
<property name="mandatoryProperties">
<set>
<ref bean="userPropertyFirstName" />
<ref bean="userPropertyLastName" />
</set>
</property>
<property name="adminViewOnlyProperties">
<set>
<ref bean="userPropertyInstitutionalUserIdentifier" />
</set>
</property>
</bean>
</entry>

to:
<entry key="org.olat.course.nodes.cl.ui.CheckListAssessmentController">
<bean class="org.olat.user.propertyhandlers.UserPropertyUsageContext">
<property name="description" value="Table for check lists" />
<property name="propertyHandlers">
<list>
<ref bean="userPropertyFirstName" />
<ref bean="userPropertyLastName" />
</list>
</property>
<property name="mandatoryProperties">
<set>
<ref bean="userPropertyFirstName" />
<ref bean="userPropertyLastName" />
</set>
</property>
</bean>
</entry>

If this is a problem in your university, it will probably make sense to change this for everybody.

But consider this: how would you differentiate two users with the name „Peter Müller“ on that paper?

Cheers Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on skype  twitter xing linkedin

Christopher K.

May 27, 2016, 5:06:29 AM5/27/16
to OpenOLAT
Hi Florian,

thanks for the configuration. I will ask the operators of our OLAT server if they would change this.

If this is a problem in your university

I think it is a problem for lots of German universities, if not all. At least I found multiple data privacy policies of other universities online that explicitly state that the combination of Name and Matrikelnummer must not be made accessible to other students:

https://dsb.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/haufig-gestellte-fragen/
"Die Kombination von Matrikelnummer und weiteren identifizierenden Merkmalen (Namen, Emailadressen) ist vertraulich zu behandeln ist und darf unter keinen Umständen gemeinsam bekanntgemacht werden."
http://verwaltung.uni-koeln.de/stabsstelle02.3/content/einzelthemen/aushang_auslage_von_listen/
"Das damit [Listen mit Matrikelnummern und Namen] verbundene Zugänglichmachen solcher Informationen über einzelne Studierende an Dritte verstößt gegen Datenschutzrecht und stellt eine unzulässige Übermittlung personenbezogener Daten dar.  [...] Verwenden Sie bei Teilnehmerlisten nur die Namen."
http://www.uni-wuppertal.de/de/universitaet/struktur-institutionen/behoerdliche-datenschutzbeauftragte/tipps-und-hinweise-zum-datenschutz.html :
"Namen und Matrikelnummern dürfen niemals gemeinsam angegeben werden!"
https://www.datenschutzzentrum.de/hochschule/handreichung-datenschutz-an-hochschulen-anlage.pdf
"Die Hochschulen sollten darauf hinwirken, dass im Studienverlauf seitens der Lehrenden ebenfalls sorgfältig darauf geachtet wird, dass die Matrikelnummern nicht mit den personenbezogenen Daten der Studierenden zusammen veröffentlicht werden."

But consider this: how would you differentiate two users with the name „Peter Müller“ on that paper?

I know that two students with the same name are a problem on this kind of lists, but this does not give me the right to break data privacy laws. A solution for OLAT would be that the list also includes the OLAT username, which is unique, known by the coach and the student, and not subject to any special data privacy rules.
What would be the setting for this?

Cheers,
Christopher

Florian Gnaegi

May 27, 2016, 8:04:10 AM5/27/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher

That is not correct. The username is a very private thing, actually it is part of your authentication process and not a public information at all. We have made the username disappear from the OpenOLAT UI wherever when can explicitly because of requests by German universities to be compliant with data privacy laws.. ;-). There are also institutions that use the Matrikelnummer as their login names...

Anyway, it is configurable, so I don’t see an issue in the code to be addressed.

Cheers
Florian