OpenOlat 15.3 released

Florian Gnägi

Nov 11, 2020, 6:14:33 AM11/11/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Dear OpenOlat community

The OpenOlat 15.3 release is an iterative evolution of the 10 -15 release series. You can download it from here: http://www.openolat.org/downloads.html

The most important highlights are:
  • New module "Contact Tracing" to implement COVID19 protective concepts
  • New course element "Document" to embed office documents seamless in learning setups (read or read/write)
  • Thumbnail generation for office documents using the OnlyOffice adapter
  • User authentication using Microsoft Azure Directory (M365 login)
  • Support for disadvantage compensation for online exams
  • Many improvements in e-assessments such as formatted feedbacks, document feedback, question pool workflow enhandements and more
  • Fine granuar configuration of access to tools and information for user-to-user roles (e.g. mentor, employees), access via coaching tool
  • Automation of final deletion of learning resources that have been put into trash
  • Search courses by taxonomy
  • Grace period for manually re-activated users before the automatic deactivation is triggered again
  • Support for BigBlueButton online meeting rooms for the course element "Appointment scheduling"
  • Explicit consent then joining BBB meetints that have recording enabled (DSGVO requirement)
  • Optimized viewer for office documents, PDFs and other documents
  • Optimized tools in group management to find and delete unused groups
  • Update to Java 11 and Servlet 4 (Tomcat 9)
  • ...

Have a look at the detailed list below and check out release notes at

Also make sure you have seen the ooAcademy video tutorial in our YouTube channel that cover many aspects of this release:

OpenOlat 15.3 is the best and most secure OpenOlat release yet and we recommend installing it as soon as possible for all OLAT and OpenOlat users.

OpenOlat 15.3 can be downloaded from there: http://www.openolat.org/downloads.html

If you rather prefer cloning from the repository, make sure you clone from the 15.3 maintenance branch and not from master:

Thanks for the bugreports and code contributions made by the community, we appreciate those inputs a lot!
Enjoy the new release and send us your feedback!

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Okenstrasse 6
CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland

Graham Conway

Nov 16, 2020, 5:52:39 AM11/16/20
to OpenOlat
Hi,

Thanks for the new release.

Are there updated installation instructions for it?. The latest i was able to  find are  for Olat V14 ( https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html) but maybe i am looking in the wrong place.

We were wanting to know what are the dependencies (os system version , mysql version, shibboleth version etc.) and if there are any changes to the olat.properties and other configuration files.

Thanks,

Graham Conway

Oliver Kant

Nov 16, 2020, 6:03:44 AM11/16/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Graham,

there will be updated instructions soon, sorry, am a little behind.

From OpenOlat 15.3.x on you will need Java 11 and Tomcat 9. As far as
Operating System, take the most recent LTS Version of your preferred
Linux System, it should work just fine. We do recommend Debian and
Ubuntu LTS though.

There have been no changes in the required versions of MySQL/PostgreSQL
or other software.

Please make sure to remove the line

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed \

from ~/bin/setenv.sh

Cheers,
Oliver