Configuration of Open olat 12.5

kevin ferguson

Jun 17, 2018, 6:05:43 AM6/17/18
to OpenOLAT
Hi guys

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with all new updates. Java 8 and Tomcat 8. All running well, got Tomcat running and could see web server ok. I followed the open olat guide https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html

When I came to start the ./start. I got errors. I have attached screenshot of the error.

When I run ./start I get ./startup.sh cannot find /home/blended/Tomcat/bin/setclaaspath.sh this file is needed to run this program.

One last question, should the open olat folder be moved to /opt/ ?

Thanks
Kevin
IMG_20180617_095204.jpg

Florian Gnägi

Jun 18, 2018, 3:09:34 AM6/18/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with all new updates.  Java 8 and Tomcat 8.  All running well, got Tomcat running and could see web server ok.  I followed the open olat guide https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html

When I came to start the ./start. I got errors. I have attached screenshot of the error.

When I run ./start I get ./startup.sh cannot find /home/blended/Tomcat/bin/setclaaspath.sh this file is needed to run this program.

This has nothing to do with OpenOLAT. Make sure you follow the tomcat installation instructions. However, it seems bogus to me that your tomcat directory is in /opt/tomcat while it searches your classpath file is in /home/blended...

One last question, should the open olat folder be moved to /opt/ ?

This depends on your philosophy. Some prefer having an openolat user and put everything in this users home, others have it in /opt or create a special mountpoint. This is the sys admins decision. I’d suggest doing it the same way how you manage all your other linux/java apps on your server to keep system maintenance (updates, backup etc) simple.

Cheers
Florian

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin

kevin ferguson

Jun 19, 2018, 3:48:40 AM6/19/18
to OpenOLAT
Hi Florian

Thanks for coming back to me. I spotted two errors caused by my configuration on my behalf, one was the .bashrc and setenvironment causing the setpathclass error. That is now corrected. I just need to setup open olat in the /opt directory.

Thanks once again.

Kevin