Fail: Can't deploy OpenOLAT

Wolfgang v. Ungern-Sternberg

Jun 18, 2013, 11:48:08 AM6/18/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello

When I start openolat in Tomcat, it gives the following error message:

Tomcat Web Application Manager

Message:
FAIL - Application at context path /openolat could not be started

Looking at $CATALINA_HOME/logs is not particularly illuminating either.
I've color-coded the messages from catalina.log below.

I'm stuck. Can anyone please help me on this?

I'll be at the OOTalks day tomorrow in Zurich.

Jun 18, 2013 5:32:08 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR

INFO: Deploying web application archive /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/openolat.war

Jun 18, 2013 5:32:35 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal

SEVERE: Error listenerStart

Jun 18, 2013 5:32:35 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal

SEVERE: Context [/openolat] startup failed due to previous errors

Jun 18, 2013 5:33:24 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal

SEVERE: Error listenerStart

Jun 18, 2013 5:33:24 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal

SEVERE: Context [/openolat] startup failed due to previous errors

localhost_access_log.2013-06-18.txt
catalina.2013-06-18.log
manager.2013-06-18.log

Florian Gnägi

Jun 19, 2013, 2:40:05 PM6/19/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wolfgang

Hope the meeting today with Matthai solved your issue!

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

<localhost_access_log.2013-06-18.txt><catalina.2013-06-18.log><manager.2013-06-18.log>

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT and OLATpro
 hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting

frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

skype:gnaegi  twitter:gnaegi  xing:Florian_Gnaegi

Wolfgang v. Ungern-Sternberg

Jun 20, 2013, 10:59:23 AM6/20/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian

Thank you so much, that was really exceptional - I checked and he patiently hacked around for about a full hour to get my messed up Linux-newbie server to run.

I *greatly* appreciate!

Now I'll dig my way on to find up how to connect Tomcat with Apache and set up the mail server connection.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

as...@o2.pl

Aug 27, 2014, 2:46:47 PM8/27/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have similar problem with OpenOLAT 9.42. After normal usage when I shut it down cannot restat.

Any help ? This is our production OLAT.

Artur Korol

INFO: Deploying web application archive openolat.war
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
sie 27, 2014 8:14:24 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
sie 27, 2014 8:14:24 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

SEVERE: Context [/openolat] startup failed due to previous errors
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
sie 27, 2014 8:23:23 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
sie 27, 2014 8:23:23 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

SEVERE: Context [/openolat] startup failed due to previous errors
sie 27, 2014 8:26:51 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/openolat] has not been started
sie 27, 2014 8:26:52 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig checkResources
INFO: Undeploying context [/openolat]

as...@o2.pl

Aug 27, 2014, 4:33:27 PM8/27/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
The problem was fixed:

enforce.utf8.filesystem=false

Wonder why it worked for several month without it.

Florian Gnägi

Aug 29, 2014, 3:47:29 AM8/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
hi

be aware that you create a big mess that can not be fixed later on when you start OpenOLAT once with an UTF-8 filesystem and once without! This is why we added the check and abort startup when it is not correct.

Are your sure you have no UTF-8 capable filesystem? Under unix this is most likely a misconfiguration. A usual trap is that the file system encoding is something that is configured by the LANG or LC_HOME variable of your shell. It can make a difference if you startup OpenOLAT manually on your shell as root or doing it with a sudo command with another users environment or if it is started automatically by the init process of your operating system. Unfortunately it is not possible to se the encoding from within Java, this is derived from the OS environment.

If your run OpenOLAT with UTF-8 before, you should shutdown the system immediately to prevent further damage and fix your startup process.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

as...@o2.pl

Sep 11, 2014, 2:14:43 PM9/11/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

But our Centos seems to be UTF-8 capable.

command:    echo $LANG
result:          pl_PL.UTF-8

I just start Tomcat manually by bin/startup.sh from root account.

We have used OpenOLAT in this enviroment for 2 years and no problem. Even 9.4 worked. But 8.42 complains about UTF-8 compability.

Now I have to set up new OpenOLAT and make sure file system is UTF-8 capable ...but OpenOLAT still complains.

Stéphane Rossé

Sep 12, 2014, 4:00:56 AM9/12/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi

As a Mac user, I have to set the environment variable LC_CTYPE = UTF-8 to start OpenOLAT. It something new with Java 1.7. Perhaps can you check if Centos is affected too.

Best regards
Stéphane Rossé