Learning resources are corrputed after upgrade from Olat 7 to 12.5

korm...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2018, 5:12:32 AM6/14/18
to OpenOLAT
Hi!

I'm currently working the upgrade of our Olat 7.2 installation to the latest 12.5.
Everything went OK, db updates, tomcat config, deploy, ldap config, but after logging in, although in Authoring/search I can find my existing courses but after clicking on it I get the error message:
"The learning resource is corrupted and can not be displayed"
I copied the old olatdata folder into the new installation, it seems the Olat finds it, because before I copied the files the courses were not shown.

What can I do to save my old courses?
Or I missing some extra stept maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

korm...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2018, 11:59:38 AM6/14/18
to OpenOLAT
In the meantime I finally managed to get it worked - it was a config issue.
I can see the courses but the not the groups connected to them.
As far as I can see there's a lot of changes in the database stucture since 7.2 :)
So maybe the update scripts are missing something.
I figured out the the old groups are present in the O_GP_BUSINESS table. But the FK_GROUP_ID column are empty. So the new version cannot make a connection between the course and the groups.
I think it need some rows in the O_BS_GROUP and the O_RE_TO_GROUP tables.

Florian Gnägi

Jun 14, 2018, 12:17:20 PM6/14/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

Did you update in one step or did you update with intermediate steps?

In 8.2 some we changed the datastructures quite a bit, see also the corresponding hints in the update manual in that wiki for the 8.2 update. I’m not sure you can do the update to 12.5  in one step, I think you need to perform some intermediate updates.

Check your database update property:
auto.upgrade.database=true

Did you check the upgrade file in
olatdata/system/installed_database_upgrades.xml
olatdata/system/installed_upgrades.xml

If you have some entries <installationComplete>false</installationComplete> in there, you know where to search.

Also, make sure you read the first few meters of your olat.log after startup.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin

korm...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2018, 5:04:43 AM6/15/18
to OpenOLAT
Hello Florian!

Thank for the answer.
Yeah, I did it in one go. So that is clearly not working :)
All right so, I need to download all the war-s for the major releases and separately run each db upgrade scipts and deploy the wars with auto.upgrade.database=true property.

It means that not only the database upgrade scipts but the java side code is also doing some database upgrading/maintenance?
Because I cannot see any INSERTS int the sql files for these new tables for the learning groups.

Rgds,
Peter

Florian Gnägi

Jun 15, 2018, 5:37:07 AM6/15/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

Yes, we have an upgrade infrastructure that runs when you start the system and then does some cleanup or migration code. You certainly don’t need to install every single update, the upgrader code is also contained in later releases. I’ll ask Oliver if he can give you a clue which updates are the important ones.

Cheers
Florian

Körmöczi Péter

Jun 21, 2018, 11:23:19 AM6/21/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian!

Another question. Is it possible to somehow migrate from the old 7.2 Olat version, the tests and the documents uploaded under the course?
Because I'm thinking it's easier to just do a clean install of the new 12.5 and I can create the groups and users via the REST API. The only things we need is the tests and the uploaded documents.
Or should I just stick to the multi-step upgrade plan and hoping, that all my old data will be intact? :)

Thanks,

Peter

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenOLAT" group.

Florian Gnägi

Jun 26, 2018, 2:40:50 AM6/26/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

You can export your resources from your old installation and the import it into the new instance. Theoretically this should work. However, many people upgraded from OLAT 7.2 to  OpenOLAT, this can be done. I’d say it depends on how large your installation is. For a small installation it might be easier to export the resources and start from scratch, if you have a reasonable amount of data and don’t want to loose all the user data such as test results, forum entries, efficiency statements, then you must perform an upgrade.

Best Regards
Florian