Step by Step server setup

Zunair Fayaz

Jul 28, 2014, 11:50:02 AM7/28/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I would like to add step by step instructions, if someone can help me out getting this up and running.

I'm stuck at tomcat... it says its 'tomcat is started' but I don't see it in netstat...
tomcat 7.0.54, jre1.7.0.65, ubuntu server 14.04.1 LTS x86 on virtualbox with bridge adapter

in catalina.out after this ...
INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor /home/openolat/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml
i get this org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal SEVERE: Error listnerStart

in olat.log I get
localhost-startStop-1 ERROR ContextLoader - Context initialization failed

... is there a way to verify all the steps in that link?
its been 3 days since I have been trying to make this run.. I just installed tomcat on windows and not really sure if we can use windows...

thanks for reading!

Florian Gnägi

Jul 28, 2014, 4:37:30 PM7/28/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
hm, normally it works out of the box. which version do you try to install? what database do you use? what errors do you get in catalina.out and olat.log? did you manage to run tomcat with the default contexts without deploying OpenOLAT'

cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT and OLATpro
 hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting

frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

skype:gnaegi  twitter:gnaegi  xing:Florian_Gnaegi

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 12:39:34 AM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Tomcat worked fine at one point... it never worked after I deployed the OpenOLAT webapp...

using MySQL
and latest OpenOLAT WARFILE 9.4.2
I also tried just deploying war file from Tomcat app manager... and it failed... (probably not suppose to work like that I guess)

Please let me know if you need access to my pc ... and maybe help me out.

not sure how to copy the full log files out from Linux server(shell) yet... i'll try to send it by tomorrow.
I did mention some errs above... but not all of it..

also just wana confirm something... in the instruction conf/server.xml
do we use appBase="webapps" or appBase="webapp"  ?

also in instruction this line: INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor /home/openolat/conf/Catalina/localhost/openolat.xml

I get localhost/ROOT.xml instead of localhost/openolat.xml
since we created ROOT.xml not openolat.xml

I do get all the msgs.... till INFO: Server startup in 16310 ms  ... but tomcat listener never starts...

ill keep you posted...

thanks for the help!

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 9:23:28 AM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
please see attached.

thanks you
catalina.out
olat.log

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 9:28:24 AM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com, heart....@gmail.com
1 more thing I wanted to make sure... or let u know...

the ROOT.xml... it was giving me errors at one point...
it was something about debug="0" ... the it was not defined or something... so I just removed it from XML and that error disappeared.

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 10:18:47 AM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
ok one more thing :D
in the beginning... on ./start I was getting Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME env var is defined... msg
seems like setenv.sh was not doing anything...

so I moved all that code from setenv.sh to .bashrc and that error disappeared...
now I removed it from bashrc.. reboot... and I get the same msg of course...

more info:
this vm was fresh install...
just had to install unzip

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 10:53:05 AM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I added JRE_HOME in .bash_profile
and CATALINA_Home in .bashrc
rebooted

now when I run ./start ... it runs tomcat fine...
but OpenOLAT is not running since the setenv.sh is not being processed...
so I will try to figure out why setenv is not getting called...

let me know if u have any idea...

thanks

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 12:14:56 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
ok so...

I figured why setevn.sh wasn't working...

the CATALINA_BASE needs to be defined in .bashrc or .bash_profile before we start tomcat... so tomcat knows where to look for setenv.sh...

so now I have
CATALINA_BASE
CATALINA_HOME
defined in .bash_profile
after a reboot ./start works again...
but still with errors... not sure what's qpoolService
see attached errors...

thanks

olat.log
catalina.out

Florian Gnägi

Jul 29, 2014, 12:26:56 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Are you sure your tomcat user has the permissions to write to your olatdata directory? The error says that the question pool module can not be initialized because /bcroot/qpool can not be written.

Make sure your olatdata directory is configured to a place where the tomcat user has the permissions to create files and directories, check the userdata.dir variable in your olat.local.properties file.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
<olat.log><catalina.out>

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 1:02:20 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
ypz I just figured that :D
I had missssssspeled userdata.dir as userdate.dir!

ok so server is up on the vm... :D thanks!

any idea why its not showing up in windows machine?
I tried lynx on the server... it takes its to ip:8088/dmz/ ... but its not working on windows

thanks for the help... ill try to make a full script so this can be installed in one shot.

Florian Gnägi

Jul 29, 2014, 1:19:07 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
We do not recommend running it under windows. Please search this group for “windows”, you will find several threads regarding OpenOLAT and Windows.

But anyway, I missed your Windows questions, I thought you just have the VM running under Windows and OpenOLAT would be installed under Ubuntu. Most likely it is a path issue, replace all / with \ in the olat.properties file.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 1:21:20 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Ok not sure why it doesn't work like that...
my vm is 192.168.1.6
my host is 192.168.1.2

when I try browsing 192.168.1.6:8088... it does not show up...

logged into router settings set up port forwarding to 192.168.1.6:8088 from all:80 ...
and OpenOLAT is now accessible from my ip...

thanks! looks like we have it working! just logged in...

i'll definitely doo this this again from scratch and make sure I document it all...

thanks!

heart....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 1:53:09 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
No no...

I have windows 8
with VirtualBox.. running Ubuntu server
Ubuntu has OpenOLAT running

what happened is... OpenOLAT loads fine now on the Ubuntu server using lynx browser.
but when I tired going to the site from my windows 8(host) machine... the website does not open..
then I did port forwarding to the VirtualBox(server) and now I can access the site from outside with my external IP... but not in the host machine (using virtualbox bridge adapter)
so i'm all good for now ... not really sure what's the issue is not being able to see the site on host.. yet... if I figure it out then i'll definitely update you.

thanks!

Florian Gnägi

Jul 29, 2014, 4:47:09 PM7/29/14
to open...@googlegroups.com