What is recommended upgrade path from version v12.5.2 -> v14.2.18

Graham Conway

Nov 25, 2020, 5:51:13 PM11/25/20
to OpenOlat

Hi there.
We want to upgrade from OLAT v12.5.2 to v14.2.18

My question is do we need to upgrade incrementally through the minor versions one at a time? That is:

v12.5.2 to v13.0.3

v13.0.3 to v13.1.2

v13.1.2 to 13.2.8

v13.2.8 to v14.0.4

v14.0.4 to v14.1.7

 v14.1.7 to v14.2.18

Or is there a simpler path?

Thanks!

Graham Conway

Comfort Talk

Urs Hensler

Nov 26, 2020, 2:11:59 AM11/26/20
to 'Christian Schweizer' via OpenOlat
Hi Graham

You can straight upgrade to OpenOlat 14.2.8. All intermediate versions are included.

Depending on the size of your system, this update can take quite a long time.

Bye,
Urs

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

Graham Conway

Nov 26, 2020, 4:12:00 AM11/26/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uri,

Thanks for the quick reply. So is that the recommended way of proceeding?

(I was concerned about  complications with changes in data files structure, database columns, and perhaps  new properties in olat.local.properties )

Thanks!
Graham Conway

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenOlat" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openolat/CFE25A90-80F8-4BBC-B482-F78B1EFBFE06%40frentix.com.

Urs Hensler

Nov 26, 2020, 5:17:58 AM11/26/20
to 'Christian Schweizer' via OpenOlat
Hi Graham

The only relevant change I can remember is the switch to log4j2 in OpenOlat 14.0. Go to https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html, then open "Installation of OpenOLAT with PostgreSQL (recommended)“ and search for log4j. In the paragraph "Configure log4j2 for OpenOlat 14 and newer“ you will find how to configure log4j properly.

The standard process for the upgrade is:
- Stop Apache
- Make a Backup
- Replace the Logging Configuration File (log42)
- Deploy the OpenOlat WAR File
- Start Tomcat
- Have a look at the log file, if all upgrade scripts worked.

OpenOlat will automatically update data structures, database columns and new properties in olat.local.properties.

Have a nice day!
Urs

Graham Conway

Nov 26, 2020, 11:13:22 AM11/26/20
to OpenOlat
Thanks, that's great information.  Sorry to bug you with questions  ....   And if we were to go to the latest version 15.2, would it make sense to update straight to 15.2 from v12.5.2 (with the change to the log4j2 that you mentioned).

Thanks,
Graham Conway

Paul Senn

Nov 26, 2020, 11:36:13 AM11/26/20
to OpenOLAT
I think we decided to be more conservative due to low usage etc and stay in the 14 series unless you think we should revisit that

Urs Hensler

Nov 27, 2020, 1:42:19 AM11/27/20
to 'Christian Schweizer' via OpenOlat
Hi Graham, Hi Paul

Although I don't know your relations and considerations about the version, I recommend an update at least to OpenOlat 15.2.
- OpenOlat 15.3 is the current productive release.
- OpenOlat 15.2 is the productive LTS release.
- OpenOlat 14.2 is outdated.

Only OpenOlat 15.2 and OpenOlat 15.3  are in maintenance mode, i.e. in these versions bugs are fixed.

Bye,
Urs

Graham Conway

Nov 27, 2020, 5:05:52 AM11/27/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Urs,

Great information. We'll certainly bear it in mind in our planning.

It sounds like there are not that many differences in dependencies  (java, operating system, tomcat, log4j2) between 14.2 and 15.2. And that an update from the first to the second should not be expected to present many complications

Thanks,

Graham Conway

Urs Hensler

Nov 27, 2020, 5:35:14 AM11/27/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham

There are no differences in dependencies between 14.2 and 15.2.

15.3 requires Java 11 and Tomcat 9.

Bye,
Urs