Gmail server for mail configuaration

Rajib Rath

Apr 20, 2020, 5:18:50 AM4/20/20
to OpenOlat
Hi i am trying to use gmail for mail purpose but i am getting this error  (org.olat.core.util.mail.manager.MailManagerImpl - Could not send mail: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. v94sm12199022pjb.39 - gsmtp) when mail get triggered during registration.

following are the olat.properties file setting

smtp.host=smtp.gmail.com
smtp.port=587
smtp.user=*********@gmail.com
smtp.pwd=**************
smtp.sslEnabled=false
smtp.sslCheckCertificate=false
smtp.starttls=false
smtp.timeout=8000
smtp.from
fromdomain=
fromemail=*******@gmail.comfromname=Olat eLearning Server (${server.domainname})

adminemail=*****@gmail.com

Please help me this issue.

Thanks

Hans

Apr 20, 2020, 6:06:13 AM4/20/20
to OpenOlat
Dear Rajiib,
as I see in the error message Must issue a STARTTLS command first you should set smtp.starttls=true.

Good Luck
Hans

Rajib Rath

Apr 20, 2020, 6:53:44 AM4/20/20
to OpenOlat
Thanks dear. It worked.

Florian Gnaegi

Apr 20, 2020, 8:12:39 AM4/20/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I never tried Google as the SMTP for OpenOlat.

BUT: be aware that this might work for development, however it is pretty unlikely Google allows you to use this for production.

1) Google will not send emails in the name of non-google accounts
2) Google will certainly have limits how many mails you can send

Unless you have special arrangements with Google that cover the two points above I doubt that using the Google SMTP is a good idea for production.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOlat
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Okenstrasse 6
CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin