Source Code extension

Carlos Santos

Jan 9, 2019, 11:47:05 AM1/9/19
to OpenOLAT
Dears,

I am working on my Bachelor Thesis in the University of Hamburg (Prof. Daniel Moldt).

My project is developing a game and use this game inside the OpenOLAT environment.

As I could see, it seems OpenOLAT uses Spring. I made the whole game with Servlets and jsp-Pages. Could you please tell me what could be the best way to implement the game for a easier connection with OpenOLAT?

I made some interactions with the source code and want to insert the game through the admin panel and also through the Authoring/MyEntries/Create Submenu. Unfortunately I cannot understand the whole code in order to make a fully insertion from the game.

quizEntry.jpg

quizAdmin.jpg

So what classes and interfaces are necessary to integrate my game into the OpenOLAT? Is there a documentation or how-to I could follow? Dr. Moldt said the University has a contract with Frentix for the support so I could also send the communication through our "Rechenzentrum" with the University e-mail address, if you prefer.

Thanks for your time and help.

Best regards,

Carlos Santos

Florian Gnägi

Jan 10, 2019, 2:59:52 AM1/10/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos

The way to go is to use the IMS LTI standard. OpenOLAT implements LTI 1.1.

It makes no sense to implement a domain specific game into a learning management system. The LMS is a generic infrastructure that must serve the general purpose of supporting elearning and not to domain specific solutions.

To integrate this domain specific tools, apps or games we support LTI. LTI stands for Learning Tools Interoperability. You can think of it as a way to authenticate users in your app via the LMS and a way to transfer data in a save manner. Technically it uses oAuth to sign a http header to securely launch your app from within an OpenOLAT course. In your app you can do whatever you want as long as you are technically LTI and legally GDPR compliant.

The advantage is, that your domain specific app is physically separated from the OpenOLAT code. This means: you have your own development and release cycles and your own runtime and deployment infrastructure. You can deploy your game on the productive OpenOLAT of UHH system just by using the standard LTI course element, no need to have project specific OpenOLAT installation. It makes development much easier, decoupled. You don’t need to know the internals of OpenOLAT at all, you can have your development stack of your choice: java, PHP, JS whatever, as long as you implement LTI 1.1.

See https://www.tsugi.org for many resources around LTI.

Cheers
Florian

Am 09.01.2019 um 17:47 schrieb Carlos Santos <carlos...@gmail.com>:

[...]

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
<quizEntry.jpg><quizAdmin.jpg>

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin