Re: [OpenOLAT] OpenOlat Installation in windows

Florian Gnägi

Oct 7, 2013, 9:24:48 AM10/7/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jai

Note that we do not support Windows. This means we do not develop, test or deploy OpenOLAT on windows at all. It might make it run on windows but it is not recommend for production and you will certainly run into issues because we do not test it at all under windows.

The most simple setup is to install Ubuntu and follow the install guide available here: http://www.openolat.org/fileadmin/adminwiki/QW5vdGhlcl9JbnN0YWxsYXRpb25fR3VpZGU=.html

For being able to help you, please always attach the output from the olat.log and catalina.out logfiles.

Cheers
Florian

PS: Please do not post the same question multiple times. It is enough to post it once.

Am 07.10.2013 um 15:10 schrieb Jai shankar:

Hi friends,
   I am new to this group. I have downloaded openOlat and installed in windows.
i deployed the war file in tomcat and configured server.xml and modified and copied olat.local.properties.

Tomcat server is running without any issues but the olat application is not working.

Can you guys please share any documents for olat instalation in windows.
Please help me to make this Olat application up and running
Thanks in advance.

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT and OLATpro
 hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting

frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

skype:gnaegi  twitter:gnaegi  xing:Florian_Gnaegi

Jai shankar

Oct 7, 2013, 11:02:46 AM10/7/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian,

  Thanks for quick response.
I am working in windows OS.
I am trying to explore different LMS systems for our internal training system for our organization.
I have already explored Sakai, a-LMS.i want to explore OpenOlat also to compare the features.
This is only for testing purpose.if it works in windows i can compare the LMS systems and prepare the comparison report to my management.
i understand that it is not supported in windows for production but for testing i can try in windows.

herewith i am attaching the log files.

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Jai.
catalina.2013-10-07.log

Christof Marti

Oct 7, 2013, 11:20:31 AM10/7/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay

If you have a look at the log-file yourself it is very clearly written, what the current problem is :
SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 145 column 166: The reference to entity "autoReconnectForPools" must end with the ';' delimiter.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/C:/home/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/conf/server.xml; lineNumber: 145; columnNumber: 166; The reference to entity "autoReconnectForPools" must end with the ';' delimiter.

Just look vor for lines starting with ERROR or SEVERE in the logfile to find these messages, fix the problem one by one and try again.
(Be aware, that one error can cause several followup errors in the logfile.

Cheers,
– Christof

<catalina.2013-10-07.log>

Jai shankar

Oct 7, 2013, 3:32:30 PM10/7/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   I have corrected that delimitter issue in server.xml. now i get this error

Oct 07, 2013 2:08:53 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine startInternal
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.42
Oct 07, 2013 2:08:55 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive C:\home\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\openolat.war
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Context [/openolat] startup failed due to previous errors
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:31 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\home\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\docs
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:31 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\home\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\examples
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:31 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\home\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\host-manager
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:31 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\home\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\manager
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:32 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\home\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\ROOT
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:32 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-8080"]
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:32 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-apr-8009"]
Oct 07, 2013 2:09:32 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 38675 ms

Thanks and Regards,
Jai.

Florian Gnägi

Oct 8, 2013, 3:18:45 AM10/8/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jai

The error is somewhere before those lines. Please attach the full catalina.out and olat.log files. Most likely the problem is caused by windows path problems. In windows, all path information in the olat.properties / olat.local.properties must be written using "\" while for Linux/OSX you use "/". Check your properties files and replace all the slashes.

Cheers
Florian

Jai shankar

Oct 8, 2013, 11:33:26 AM10/8/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  Please find the complete log files attached.

followed this document for configuration.

Now the tomcat server itself is not coming up. OpenOlat.war is not deploying properly if we have openolat.xml in the catalina/localhost folder

Thanks and Regards,
Jai.
localhost.2013-10-08.log
catalina.2013-10-08.log

Florian Gnägi

Oct 8, 2013, 3:04:05 PM10/8/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Please also add the olat.log. Normally this is found in your configured olatdata directory at olatdata/logs/olat.log.

Did you override all path information from the olat.properties in your olat.local.properties (replacing all / with \)?

Cheers
Florian

<localhost.2013-10-08.log><catalina.2013-10-08.log>

Jai shankar

Oct 9, 2013, 9:02:08 AM10/9/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
HI,

   Herewith i have attached the complete log files that was generated when the server was started.
i have done all the configuration that was mentioned in the installation document.
Also i have modified olat.local.propeties as you suggested.
I tried connecting to openolat db with stand alone java file. i was able to connect to my db with the user i created. with the same user only i m trying to connect through application.

please guide me to resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Jai.
Florian

openolat.zip

kiranku...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2014, 2:56:59 PM8/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jai, did you get this resolved?. from your log files, your db is not up and running or not initialized properly. Please follow the instructions in the distribution to setup the database using setupDatabase.sql.

thanks
Florian