Startup error

Lang Sandra

May 12, 2020, 10:33:06 PM5/12/20
to OpenOlat
I followed the steps in openolat Another Installation document.However,there is a error after I start the tomcat. I cannot load into the http://localhost:8088 page. Please help me out!

Lang Sandra

May 12, 2020, 10:55:19 PM5/12/20
to OpenOlat
Lang Sandra於 2020年5月13日星期三 UTC+8上午10時33分06秒寫道:
15893388892333327528663137965517.jpg

Alexander Böckle

May 12, 2020, 11:28:39 PM5/12/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandra,

I cannot see any error from the provided screenshot. Are you sure http://localhost:8088 is correct?
By default port 8080 is used, so the address would be http://localhost:8080

Best regards,
Alex

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Alexander Böckle, Softwareentwickler
Okenstrasse 6
CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland

Am 13.05.2020 um 04:55 schrieb Lang Sandra <elovequ...@gmail.com>:

Lang Sandra於 2020年5月13日星期三 UTC+8上午10時33分06秒寫道:
I followed the steps in openolat Another Installation document.However,there is a error after I start the tomcat. I cannot load into the http://localhost:8088 page. Please help me out!

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
<15893388892333327528663137965517.jpg>

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 12:35:06 AM5/13/20
to OpenOlat
Alexander Böckle於 2020年5月13日星期三 UTC+8上午11時28分39秒寫道:
> Hi Sandra,
>

> I cannot see any error from the provided screenshot. Are you sure http://localhost:8088 is correct?
> By default port 8080 is used, so the address would be http://localhost:8080
>

> Best regards,
> Alex
>

>my firefox crashed
The second photo shows that 8088 can't be loaded.
YES,according to server.xml showed in the installation document.

> professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
> hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
>

> www.frentix.com | www.openolat.com

> frentix  GmbH
> Alexander Böckle, Softwareentwickler
>

> Okenstrasse 6
> CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland
>

> tel://+41-43-544-9000
> fax://+41-43-544-9009

> Am 13.05.2020 um 04:55 schrieb Lang Sandra <elovequ...@gmail.com>:
>
> Lang Sandra於 2020年5月13日星期三 UTC+8上午10時33分06秒寫道:
> I followed the steps in openolat Another Installation document.However,there is a error after I start the tomcat. I cannot load into the http://localhost:8088 page. Please help me out!
>
> --
> --
> Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
> Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
> Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
> an open...@googlegroups.com
> Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
> open...@googlegroups.com
> Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
> http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
20200512_212419.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 12:37:49 AM5/13/20
to OpenOlat

Lang Sandra於 2020年5月13日星期三 UTC+8上午10時55分19秒寫道:
88846.jpg

Oliver Kant

May 13, 2020, 2:07:40 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sandra

Can you please have a look at the catalina.out? ~/logs/catalina.out it
should be. There you will see if there are any fatal errors that keep
OpenOlat from starting or make it crash right away. If you see any such
errors, could you please provide us with the log, but only the entries
from the last attempt to start OO, not the whole logfile.

Cheers
Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 06:37 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> --
> --
> Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
> Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
> Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
> an open...@googlegroups.com
> Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
> openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
> Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
> http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openolat/8b1b8111-6c5a-4bd3-9871-2b0ce2699c73%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openolat/8b1b8111-6c5a-4bd3-9871-2b0ce2699c73%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 3:49:53 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Okay,thank you!

It looks like this.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openolat/4f851036-5eec-a79f-31bb-3f7a374c6d9d%40frentix.com.

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 3:55:52 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hello!It looks like this.

Thanks!

88971.jpg
88972.jpg
88973.jpg
88974.jpg

Oliver Kant

May 13, 2020, 5:43:01 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

can you please edit the file ~/bin/setenv.sh and change the
CATALINA_OPTS to look like this:

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m \
-Duser.name=openolat \
-Duser.timezone=Europe/Zurich \
-Dspring.profiles.active=myprofile \
-Djava.awt.headless=true \
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true \
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed \
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError \
-XX:HeapDumpPath=. \
"

The first line break right after the CATALINA_OPTS=" is seemingly
causing the problem and the option -Xss256k is not needed/working anymore.

I have already updated the install manual
(https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html) for reference.

Cheers
Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 09:58 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> [...]
> an open...@googlegroups.com <mailto:open...@googlegroups.com>
> Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
> openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openolat%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
> http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openolat/4f851036-5eec-a79f-31bb-3f7a374c6d9d%40frentix.com.
>
> --
> --
> Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
> Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
> Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
> an open...@googlegroups.com
> Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
> openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
> Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 6:51:06 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I think the problem still exist.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenOlat" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openolat/77d3c5ff-35cc-b2f1-9041-2cdc6b4d9a5a%40frentix.com.

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 6:54:05 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Sorry,I think the problem still exists.

Also, my firefox crashes.

89004.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 6:57:44 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Plus I think my Ubuntu almost broke because of this..

It restarted several times.

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

May 13, 2020, 7:03:37 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi!May I ask you a technical question?

After install the openolat LMS, and edit my course, how can I let the others use it? Because I can’t use the localhost.Is it to apply a fixed ip?

Thank you

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 7:42:33 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Oh.I think I know the reson. -Xms512m not found.

Please help me out!!!

89007.jpg

Oliver Kant

May 13, 2020, 8:02:15 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello

It seems you didn't change the setenv.sh to look *exactly* the way I
have put it in the Manual and earlier in this mail. Please check that
once more.

Cheers
Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 13:10 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> Oh.I think I know the reson. -Xms512m not found.
>
> Please help me out!!!
>
> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Oliver Kant

May 13, 2020, 8:09:45 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sandra,

for this to work you will need a Server that is permanently connected to
the Internet, has an external IP Address and is secure and upddated on a
regular basis.

From what I see, I suspect that your experience in maintaining and
administrating Linux Servers is maybe not enough, requiring you to look
for a company or person to provide you with professional help.

Another way for you might be looking for a hosting solution. Have a look
at frentix, we do this for a living:
https://www.frentix.com/produkte/openolat-hosting/

Cheers
Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 13:06 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> Hi!May I ask you a technical question?
>
> After install the openolat LMS, and edit my course, how can I let the
> others use it? Because I can’t use the localhost.Is it to apply a fixed ip?
>
> Thank you
>
> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 8:30:32 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi

It seems that you provide two different versions.

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \

And the above photo.

After I change mine to the manual version, my server couldn’t work.

Ps. The lines above CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \

are different too, compared from the old one and the changed one. And you didn’t write it down on the email,thus,I don’t know which one is correct.

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

May 13, 2020, 8:40:35 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sandra

The manual looks right to me (please reload the page, your version is
the outdated one as it seems, the one with the line break). Another
thing that might be in the way is, that you did not install OpenOlat
using the user openolat in /home/openolat/ which makes everything a bit
harder. Have all paths been changed to reflect your exact situation?

Cheers
Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 14:33 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> Hi!
>
> It seems that you provide two different versions.
>
> CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \
>
> And the above photo.
>
> After I change mine to the manual version, my server couldn’t work.
>
> Ps. The lines aboveCATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m
> -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \
>
> are different too, compared from the old one and the changed one. And
> you didn’t write it down on the email,thus,I don’t know which one is
> correct.
>
> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 9:05:04 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi

It is my mistake that I started to follow the steps from “prepare home directory”

Would it affect the system if I put the files below /home/sandra?

It looks like right above.(the photos)

And my setenv.sh is on top too.

Thank you

By the way, it poped out many pid at below(the third photo) I hope it works

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

May 13, 2020, 9:10:32 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Okay,thank you.

So  I just need a external ip? But how does it do with my openolat. Any set up by my computer?

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

for this to work you will need a Server that is permanently connected to

the Internet, has an external IP Address and is secure and upddated on a

regular basis.

From what I see, I suspect that your experience in maintaining and

administrating Linux Servers is maybe not enough, requiring you to look

for a company or person to provide you with professional help.

Another way for you might be looking for a hosting solution. Have a look

at frentix, we do this for a living:

https://www.frentix.com/produkte/openolat-hosting/

Cheers

Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 13:06 schrieb Lang Sandra:

> Hi!May I ask you a technical question?

> After install the openolat LMS, and edit my course, how can I let the

> others use it? Because I can’t use the localhost.Is it to apply a fixed ip?

> Thank you

> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google

Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".

Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail

an open...@googlegroups.com

Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an

openolat+u...@googlegroups.com

Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter

http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 9:21:50 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Oh. It didit’t connect again. Do you know what is the problem and where is it at?

 Thank you

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

The manual looks right to me (please reload the page, your version is

the outdated one as it seems, the one with the line break). Another

thing that might be in the way is, that you did not install OpenOlat

using the user openolat in /home/openolat/ which makes everything a bit

harder. Have all paths been changed to reflect your exact situation?

Cheers

Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 14:33 schrieb Lang Sandra:

> Hi

> It seems that you provide two different versions.

> CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \

> And the above photo.

> After I change mine to the manual version, my server couldn’t work.

> Ps. The lines aboveCATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m

> -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \

> are different too, compared from the old one and the changed one. And

> you didn’t write it down on the email,thus,I don’t know which one is

> correct.

> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google

Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".

Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail

an open...@googlegroups.com

Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an

openolat+u...@googlegroups.com

Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter

http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

89022.jpg

Oliver Kant

May 13, 2020, 9:31:02 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
According to the screenshots, you still have a line break there.

It has to be

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx1024m -Xms512m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m \

and not

Am 13.05.20 um 15:24 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> Oh. It didit’t connect again. Do you know what is the problem and where
> is it at?
>
>  Thank you
>
> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 9:46:20 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

It still doesn’t work… Did you try this yourself?? Do you want to teamviewer my labtop?

Oh.What is the problem?? I still think is the -Xms512 thing…

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

According to the screenshots, you still have a line break there.

It has to be

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx1024m -Xms512m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \

and not

CATALINA_OPTS="

-Xmx1024m -Xms512m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m  \

..

Cheers

89027.jpg
89028.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 9:48:30 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

OH. Or it is because I didn’t space one line between one line.Or because the “ thing

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 10:02:54 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

By the way I just a little different ./start

Anything to deal with the pid thing?

Plus my log/catalina doesn’t show something like “deploying the configuration descriptor /home/openolat/conf/Catalina/localhost/openolat.xml”

Would it be a difference if I use the user(openolat) as sandra file? And the openolat.xml as root.xml but the same content….

I suggest you teamviewer my labtop for a few minutes…

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 10:56:21 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hello

This might be helpful with the current problem .

Thank you~

89129.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 11:02:02 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Do you know what is going on now?

89135.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 11:05:50 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

I think it’s almost there. Do you know why it shows like this.

Can you look at this manual for a moment? Thank you!

https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/QW5vdGhlcl9JbnN0YWxsYXRpb25fR3VpZGU=.html

89140.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 11:08:32 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Oh.

These two are a little different. And I think I followed the first one

Please help me out!

https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/QW5vdGhlcl9JbnN0YWxsYXRpb25fR3VpZGU=.html

https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 11:23:11 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Or did I download the wrong versions of tomcat

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

Oliver Kant

May 13, 2020, 4:05:11 PM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Sandra,

please start over using the manual you can find at
https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html and choose
either the PostgreSQL or MySQL version. Use the user openolat who has
his home in /home/openolat/. A good idea would be, if this user did not
have a graphical user interface at all. Follow the instructions *to the
point* except for the minor versions of Tomcat and Java, those do not
matter. And you can and should use the newest version of OpenOlat.

That is what I did this morning and it did work flawlessly using Tomcat
8.5.55, the AdoptOpenJDK jdk8u252-b09 and OpenOlat Version 15.0.0.

Please keep in mind, that the manual is first and foremost for the
installation of an OpenOlat test server.

I do unfortunately not have the time to help with basic questions
regarding Linux server administration and I cannot help you using
TeamViewer either, sorry.

Cheers
Oliver

Am 13.05.20 um 15:49 schrieb Lang Sandra:
> It still doesn’t work… Did you try this yourself?? Do you want to
> teamviewer my labtop?
>
> Oh.What is the problem?? I still think is the -Xms512 thing…
>
> 发送自Windows 10 版邮件 <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 4:27:51 PM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I am new to this. Is it “sudo chown -R username:group directory” to change my sandra file to openolat?

Best Regards

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

May 13, 2020, 4:37:42 PM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

Error again. How can I fix it?

Best regards!

: Re: [OpenOlat] Re: Startup error

发送自Windows 10 版邮件<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>应用

89194.jpg
89195.jpg

Lang Sandra

May 13, 2020, 8:02:26 PM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Sorry that I don’t have basics. I dont know how to change the administration to the openolat file.

Oliver Kant <olive...@frentix.com> 於 2020年5月14日 週四 04:05 寫道:

Lang Sandra

May 14, 2020, 12:56:16 AM5/14/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

SorryI was so close. I didn’t know how to reach the bashrc file to edit the environment variables.I asked my teacher, and he doesn’t know either.

Best regards

发送自 Windows 10 邮件应用

May 14, 2020, 5:42:50 AM5/14/20
to open...@googlegroups.com

I am so so sorry. I followed all the steps from the manual, and this what my catalina.out says.

I don’t know if it has to deal with the java thing that what the person on the internet said.

Best regard!

89288.jpg
89289.jpg

Lang Sandra