Deploy - fail Application at context path [/openolat] could not be started - Ubuntu 16.04

kevin ferguson

Jun 21, 2018, 4:33:51 AM6/21/18
to OpenOLAT
Hi Guys

I've done a fresh install using Ubuntu 16.04 I have Java 8 installed and Apache tomcat 8.5 installed and working ok.   I'm using the openolat943.war the instructions are easy to follow, my intention if all goes smoothly to upgrade.

I have renamed the openolat943.war to openolat.war  I upload it onto the server and get the following error Fail - Application at context path [/openolat] could not be started.  See attached first screenshot.  I have Googled it but not found anything relating to openolat.

I then go to http://localhost:8080/openolat/ hit return and get the following error, that's because openolat is not running (but thought I would give it a try anyway).  The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists.

At this point I looked in the /opt/tomcat/webapps/  the file is there  i believe the permissions are correct, I have to change so it matched the others folders.  See screenshot of directory from the commandline, I've also added gui screenshot too.

If I can get this working it would be great.

thanks
Kevin

olat not running.PNG
web_error_2.PNG
webapps.PNG
Webapps_gui.PNG

Florian Gnägi

Jun 26, 2018, 2:36:59 AM6/26/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin

Did you follow the instructions step by step as described here: https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html

The error is because the OpenOLAT could not be started. Look at the olat.log why this is the case.

I would not recommend using the tomcat manager app to deploy openolat, I would rather remove all the default apps from tomcat and configure it manually to have better control.

Best Regards
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
<olat not running.PNG><web_error_2.PNG><webapps.PNG><Webapps_gui.PNG>

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin

kevin ferguson

Jun 26, 2018, 10:22:45 AM6/26/18
to OpenOLAT
Hi Florian

I followed the guide from your site https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html

 You mention to configure it manually, is this doing it via the instructions from your website?

I have tomcat up and running no problem, but getting OLAT to work is a challenge, I'm trying to get this setup for work initially.  Once we have this working we can evaluate the product but we would want to host it ourselves.

Can the olat be run from /opt directory as a tomcat user?

Thanks Kevin