OpenOlat tomcat error

Kelvin Ikome

May 15, 2020, 10:06:13 AM5/15/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Trying to setup Openolat using the installation documentation, I got stuck on the following error (in the screenshot).
Screenshot from 2020-05-15 15-04-25.png

Any ideas as to what caused this or how to solve it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kelvin

Hans

May 15, 2020, 10:52:01 AM5/15/20
to OpenOlat
There is something writen of insufficient memory. If you use a virtual machine increase the availible memory.
Regards
Hans

Kelvin Ikome

May 15, 2020, 11:41:32 AM5/15/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your response.

I have fixed the error. I'm now stuck on this other tomcat error: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name [jdbc/OpenOLATDS] is not bound in this Context. Unable to find [jdbc].

Screenshot from 2020-05-15 16-40-38.png

Kelvin

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

Florian Gnaegi

May 15, 2020, 1:44:32 PM5/15/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Am 15.05.2020 um 17:41 schrieb Kelvin Ikome <kvni...@gmail.com>:

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your response.

I have fixed the error. I'm now stuck on this other tomcat error: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name [jdbc/OpenOLATDS] is not bound in this Context. Unable to find [jdbc].

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOlat
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Okenstrasse 6
CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin

Kelvin Ikome

May 16, 2020, 4:04:55 AM5/16/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian,

Are you referring to the part on initializing database? If so, I have done already (following the documentation: https://www.openolat.com/fileadmin/adminwiki/_START_.html).

However, there's one thing I have noticed. Openolat.war seems to be deployed as $Tomcat/webapp meanwhile I deployed as $Tomcat/webapps/openolat

Could this be the issue?

Florian Gnaegi

May 16, 2020, 5:59:17 AM5/16/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
If you have OpenOlat configured to use jdbc for the connection pool you need to configure this in tomcat as well.

So, when you have in your olat.local.properties

db.source=jndi
db.jndi=java:comp/env/jdbc/OpenOLATDS

then you need to define the jdbc connection your server.xml. Tomcat will then manage your database connection.

Alternatively you can set

db.source=local
db.host=localhost
db.host.port=5432
db.name=olat
db.user=olat
db.pass=xyz

then your database will bemanaged locally by OpenOlat.

Note: for production, it is strongly recomendet to let tomcat manage the database. The local version is ok for a trial or local development.

Cheers
Florian

Kelvin Ikome

May 16, 2020, 12:32:41 PM5/16/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian,

Thanks a lot for your time.

I tried what you suggested and still had the same results. Here are contents of olat.local.properties

db.source=jndi
db.jndi=java:comp/env/jdbc/OpenOLATDS
installation.dir=/opt/tomcat8
server.contextpath=/openolat
server.domainname=localhost
server.port=8088
server.port.ssl=0
smtp.host=disabled
userdata.dir=/opt/tomcat8/olatdata
log.dir=/opt/tomcat8/logs

And server.xml

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<Server port="8085" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8088" protocol="HTTP/1.1" />
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">
      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps" />
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

Adding the other db.* variables to olat.local.properties gives the same results as well. Just to be sure I'm not doing the wrong thing, I have olat.local.properties in $Tomcat/lib directory. Is this the right location for the file?