Open olat internationalization strings - Can't find some key strings!

Paul Senn

May 12, 2020, 9:11:13 AM5/12/20
to OpenOlat
Hello,  we are needing to improve upon the dutch translation (running Olat 12.5).  and have been able to find the strings in the nl_NL.properties file, but in certain places we are having trouble locating where the strings live.  Specifically, when you first log in and go to My Courses, cannot find the text for set of buttons at the top of the table (Favoriten, Catalogus, Suchen) , and for the buttons for start course (Infoseite, Starten),   Can you provide some pointers?  Also has the dutch translation been worked on since version 12?

Thank you!

Florian Gnaegi

May 12, 2020, 9:29:38 AM5/12/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul

We operate a translation server for this (OpenOlat has an integrated translation tool, no need to fiddle with files in the code!). You could help translate the missing keys from the 15 release and then upload that package to your server, that will probably work for most keys of your installation. Eben better: update to 15 right away ;-)

Let me know if you want to become an official translator, I will hand you over to the responsible person in our team.

Cheers
Florian

Am 12.05.2020 um 15:11 schrieb Paul Senn <paul...@gmail.com>:

Hello,  we are needing to improve upon the dutch translation (running Olat 12.5).  and have been able to find the strings in the nl_NL.properties file, but in certain places we are having trouble locating where the strings live.  Specifically, when you first log in and go to My Courses, cannot find the text for set of buttons at the top of the table (Favoriten, Catalogus, Suchen) , and for the buttons for start course (Infoseite, Starten),   Can you provide some pointers?  Also has the dutch translation been worked on since version 12?

Thank you!

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOlat
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Okenstrasse 6
CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on wire skype twitter xing linkedin

Paul Senn

Florian Gnaegi

May 12, 2020, 4:19:56 PM5/12/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
You don’t have to search in the code, just use the translation tool. There you can search for keys or values and you will easily find what you are looking for.,

Normally the translation tool is configured to be a language adaption tool. In this mode the modified translations will be saved to your olatdata/customizing directory as co called overlay language. When you update, everything stays the same. There even is a fancy inline-translation mode where you can translate many of the important keys directly in the UI. It does not work for everything, but it works for many things.

If you rather want to modify the language itself, fill our the following properties:

# note: when enabled the language customisation tool is not available! (only enabled or disabled allowed as values!)
is.translation.server=disabled
# Path to the CVS "olat3" project that contains the languages DE and EN
# During development this is normally /workspace/olat/src/main/java
i18n.application.src.dir=

In this mode the translation tool will save directly to your source directory and modify the code. Note when updating you will loose your translations.

The translation tool is launched from Administration -> Customizing -> Language adaption tool (or Translation tool).

Cheers
Florian.

Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

Paul Senn

May 13, 2020, 8:22:36 AM5/13/20
to OpenOlat
Thank you, this overlay method got us out of the woods.  Especially love the mode that allows you to hover over icons and see what key they are using, that is quite cool!
In non-interactive mode, I have not figured out how to set the tool so the source language is German and the adaptation is Dutch, it seems to want to always make the adaptation language the same as the source, so any quick pointers on that would be appreciated, probably something I am not understanding about how the UI works for that screen.

Florian Gnägi

May 13, 2020, 10:18:55 AM5/13/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
hm, did not think about this. After all is it meant for customizing in this mode. Maybe you have to reconfigure your system to be a translation server, then you can always compare to the default language.

Cheers
Florian

Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

Paul Senn

May 14, 2020, 10:38:37 AM5/14/20
to OpenOlat
thanks I think I understand but would rather not do that if possible.   With the current tool can I set the source language to Dutch and the adaptation to Dutch?  Not even sure how to do that, or if that is possible.  If it is not possible, can you consider that an enhancement request (without reconfiguring system to be a translation server)
Florian

Florian Gnaegi

May 14, 2020, 10:52:58 AM5/14/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
no you can’t. The whole purpose of the adaption mode is to adapt a language with a customized overlay. To have the source language be another language makes no sense in this mode. You have to configure it as translation server and then use a script to save your files to another place when done. This is simple. You can send us the files then an we will see if we can add them to the current release.

Cheers
Florian

Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

George Kirev

Dec 17, 2020, 12:58:21 AM12/17/20
to OpenOlat
Hi Florian,

could you give a short how-to on how configuring as a translation server goes?
I'm trying to run the OpenOLAT 15.3 from an exploded WAR (official build) while having the source alongside.

Here are the relevant parts of my olat.local.properties:

is.translation.server=enabled
i18n.application.src.dir=/openolat-src/src/main/java
olat.debug=true
i18n.application.opt.src.dir = ${i18n.application.src.dir}
project.build.home.directory=/openolat-src

When trying to start the translation tool, I get the following exception:

2020-12-17 02:16:54.007 [http-nio-8088-exec-10] WARN   ExceptionWindowController ^%^ I7-J127 ^%^ org.olat.core.gui.exception.ExceptionWindowController ^%^ 458752 ^%^ 172.19.0.2 ^%^ http
s://myhost/auth/AdminSite/0/translation/0 ^%^ Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36 ^%^ ExceptionWindowController<init>: Throwable occurred, logging the full stacktrace:
   java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 0 out of bounds for length 0
   at org.olat.core.util.i18n.ui.TranslationToolStartCrumbController.initLanguageSelectorElements(TranslationToolStartCrumbController.java:243)

Any pointers on how to configure the system as a translate server are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
George

Urs Hensler

Dec 17, 2020, 4:14:56 AM12/17/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi George

Probably i18n.application.src.dir  does not point to the correct directory. If you use the WAR file it should be something like <something>/webapp/WEB-INF/classes

The debug mode is not necessary, therefore
olat.debug=false

Kind regards,
Urs