Retrieve assessment results for authenticated user

helga.t...@bauing.uni-kl.de

Jul 21, 2016, 1:06:01 PM7/21/16
to OpenOLAT
Hallo,

we created a course, where students are supposed to successively unlock modules by solving tests. Now I want to design an overview page for this course, where a diagram links to the modules and visually shows the progress. I use SVG which works very well to link the modules. In order to color the locked and unlocked modules differently, I tried to use the REST API. Unfortunately, I do not find a way to get the assessments for ordinary course participants. Obviously this is not an intended use case. Would it be possible and feasible to return the assessment result for the authenticated user instead of an empty list (if the authenticated users is not allowed to see more results) for this call: /repo/courses/{courseId}/assessments/{nodeId} (https://olat.vcrp.de/restapi/api/doc#d2e8827). That would be an awesome improvement allowing to implement game-based learning scenarios with OpenOLAT.

Kind regards,

Helga

Florian Gnägi

Jul 21, 2016, 1:39:31 PM7/21/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helga

Sorry, we can not do this. Not in all cases it is desired that students have access to their scoring results. You can disable the efficiency statement and hide score of a test for a test, e.g when the test is a real assessment and not a self-assessment that needs manual correction and weighting of scores. This would create a security breach unless we implement all the same business logic here and this just takes more time than we have.

That said, we discussed during the oovisions meeting the options of badges. That would be a very different thing. Would batches also solve your problem? Another Idea is to implement a „High-Score“ course element or just a High-Score visualization option for all assessable course elements for peer-comparison.

The problem with progress is: due to to complexity of the access conditions it is not possible to tell what the 100% is. The rules are too dynamic. We absolutely see the need for this, however we first need to work on the datastructures for beeing able what a user really has to do to get the 100%. And this will cover also other course elements than the ones that generate a scoring information.

So, short term answer: no, unfortunately.

But: do you know the course database feature? This is actually quite cool, you can do a lot of stuff with that when you have some JS experience. I don’t know if the feature is enabled on your installation. It is a key-value store that you can access via REST API (e.g. JS), and you can also query the values you stored this way using the expert rules in the course. So you can for example create your own HTML5 app which saves some course db values which are then used to control the users learning path…

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on skype  twitter xing linkedin

helga.t...@bauing.uni-kl.de

Aug 10, 2016, 2:15:42 PM8/10/16
to OpenOLAT
Hi Florian,

thanks for the detailed answer! Looking at it this way, it totally makes sense to not simply expose the results.

The concept of badges sounds interesting. How would badges work? I imagine it like this: They would be awarded for the successful completion of a test or task and then used as a public (or course-wide) sign of your achievements as opposed to the confidential assessment results behind the badges. Is it something like this? Then yes, if the badges could be exposed via the REST API that would definitely solve my problem. If not, it depends on how flexible the awarded badges would be presented.

I thought about trying the course DB for this one, indeed, and checked out whether it is enabled in our installation (hurray it seems to be!). With the course DB it would also be easier to integrate minimal one-question tests in the course. However, I think it is not easily possible to hide the correct results from the students using only the course DB. I could only obscure the results, hoping there are no overambitious student out there trying to trick the system and sharing the tricks with their peers. That is why I decided to use ordinary OLAT tests for assessment and to unlock the single modules. But maybe I should give it another thought.

Cheers,
Helga

Florian Gnägi

Aug 16, 2016, 4:20:46 AM8/16/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helga

The concept of badges sounds interesting. How would badges work? I imagine it like this: They would be awarded for the successful completion of a test or task and then used as a public (or course-wide) sign of your achievements as opposed to the confidential assessment results behind the badges. Is it something like this? Then yes, if the badges could be exposed via the REST API that would definitely solve my problem. If not, it depends on how flexible the awarded badges would be presented.

Yes, it would be something like this. This is at the brainstorming level, nothing decided yet. And, there is no funding for something like this so far. If you see any possibility there, let me know.

BTW: we will add a „highscore“ feature for 11.1. This will compare the personal scoring to the scoring of the rest of the users. It will be available for each course element that offers scoring feature. It will feature 1) a podest like visualization for the gold-silver-bronce candidates, 2) a histrograph like visualization where the users sees how he compares to all the other users and 3) a listing of the top-10. Each of the features can be enabled or disabled.

I thought about trying the course DB for this one, indeed, and checked out whether it is enabled in our installation (hurray it seems to be!). With the course DB it would also be easier to integrate minimal one-question tests in the course. However, I think it is not easily possible to hide the correct results from the students using only the course DB. I could only obscure the results, hoping there are no overambitious student out there trying to trick the system and sharing the tricks with their peers. That is why I decided to use ordinary OLAT tests for assessment and to unlock the single modules. But maybe I should give it another thought.

Sure, if you want to do real assessment, there is no other way than using the integrated assessment infrastructure. SCORM is not an option neither, you can easily set your own score when using a SCORM assessment, there is no way to prevent this for any kind of assessment that runs on the client (Javascript or flash or something). The course DB is fine for simple check questions.

Cheers
Florian