TinyMCE Editor in IE8 & 9

Christof Marti

Feb 27, 2014, 6:29:48 AM2/27/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi

We have an OpenOlat installation running based on Version 9.3.1.
At the moment editing HTML documents is not working with IE9 (and IE8).
It works with IE11 and all other browsers.

Effect is, that the editor window is very small, contains only HTML source code.
It looks like TinyMCE is not loaded. (See image)

It works ok on community.openolat.org, which is also based on 9.3.1.
What could be the reason, that it is not working on our server?

Best regards
Christof
----
InIT Cloud Computing Lab
Institut of Applied Information Technology - InIT
Zurich University of Applied Sciences - ZHAW
School of Engineering
Phone: +41 58 934 70 63
Skype: christof-marti

Florian Gnägi

Mar 4, 2014, 2:43:22 AM3/4/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christof

Hm, strange. Maybe something is wrong with your mime types or your statics delivery is broken. Clear your browser cache and open the developer tools when you reload. I’m sure you will see an error there that tells you why it can’t load the tinymce resources.

Note that we updated tiny to the newest version in 9.3.2. We specifically tested with IE8 and 9 to make sure there are no issues.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT and OLATpro
 hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting

frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

skype:gnaegi  twitter:gnaegi  xing:Florian_Gnaegi

Christof Marti

Mar 6, 2014, 1:33:17 AM3/6/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Found the problem (& solution). In IE7/8/9 compatibility mode TinyMCE does not load in OpenOLAT. So it has to be configured to NOT use compatibility mode.
Problem with our site is, that IE7/8/9 can be configured by System policies to use compatibility mode (e.g. by default for ALL intranet and zhaw.ch sites). This is also the reason why it worked with the community server, but not the local one.

Solution was to add the  "X-UA-Compatible "IE=edge,chrome=1" header. This can be done in the HTML-Head
wich does not work in any case (depending on how the policy is defined)
or  you can add it directly as a HTTP head parameter. For example in Apache2 you can add the following to you config: (from StackOverflow)
IfModule mod_headers.c>
  Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=edge,chrome=1"
  # mod_headers can't match by content-type, but we don't want to send this header on *everything*...
  <FilesMatch "\.(appcache|crx|css|eot|gif|htc|ico|js|m4a|m4v|manifest|mp4|oex|oga|ogg|ogv|otf|pdf|png|safariextz|svg|svgz|ttf|vcf|webm|webp|woff|xml|xpi)$">
    Header unset X-UA-Compatible
  </FilesMatch>
</IfModule>
First priority is to use ChromeFrame (if installed). Edge means to the Browser to use the newest rendering engine available. Risk using 'edge' is, that new releases of browser could break if OpenOLAT is not yet adopted. Other option would be to set it to specific IE values (IE8, IE9, IE10, ...) I'm not sure if IE10/11 is still using the header.

Best regards
Christof

Florian Gnägi

Mar 6, 2014, 2:00:22 AM3/6/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christof

Thanks for sharing the info. We try to always support IE standards mode, no quirks or compatibility, that is crap. I think the solution to implement this in apache is the right way to go, I do not want to add such special stuff to every page we render just because MS invented those modes.

BTW: some interesting thing I noted is that the rendering mode of any frame/iframe is inherited by the main window in IE. IMHO this makes no sense because a frame is really some independent rendering unit, however tests showed that this is the case. So, sometimes pages that work perfect (e.g. because IE uses come compatibility crap) do not work when embedded in OpenOLAT within an iframe because the standards mode of the OpenOLAT window is also applied to the containing iFrame.

Could you please add this info to the apache config section in the install wiki on the community server? That’d be great!

Cheers
Florian