New unstable release! (OpenNI-1.5.4.0, Sensor-5.1.2.1)

Ziv Hendel

May 16, 2012, 7:12:43 AM5/16/12
to OpenNI
Hi all,

A new unstable release was uploaded into the www.openni.org site.
(OpenNI-1.5.4.0, Sensor-5.1.2.1)

This release includes a lot of bug fixes and updates from the past 6
months and it also improves compatibility with new operating systems
(Ubuntu 12 and Mac OSX 10.7).

The source code and a complete list of changes are already on GitHub.

Please note that you should recompile all existing sensor modules so
if you use a 3rd party module (like SensorKinect) you will need to
recompile it or wait for the binaries to be re-released...

Thanks,
Ziv.

P.S.
Sorry it's been so long since the last update!!

Longman

May 16, 2012, 9:36:28 AM5/16/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see an update again! Will NITE also be updated?

Ziv Hendel

May 16, 2012, 1:03:21 PM5/16/12
to OpenNI
I'm sorry but there are still some multi-sensor issues with this
release on Linux based hosts...
It's the same as the previous release so it's nothing new.

We can easily reproduce it now so we're going to fix it real soon!

Sorry again,
Ziv.

Ziv Hendel

May 16, 2012, 1:03:56 PM5/16/12
to OpenNI
There's no new NiTE at the moment... Sorry!

Ziv.

alex_karate_do

May 16, 2012, 5:40:51 PM5/16/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Updates are always welcome, thanks!

Ed Bolson

May 16, 2012, 7:02:37 PM5/16/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I've installed the new version, with the avin2 mods, on OS X Lion.  It appears to work as before, except:
1) I used to be able to output a "calibration file" with a saveSkeletonCalibrationDataToFile method.  Now there is an exception for "not implemented".  I didn't ever use the results, but did have the call in my code for possible later experimentation.
2) It takes a VERY long time to initialize and start imaging.  At least 30 sec and up to a minute.  Is this expected or could I still have a misconfiguration?

Thank you for keeping up the support.

Ed

alex_karate_do

May 16, 2012, 7:55:32 PM5/16/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Changelog says: " Added more joints " in the NiUserTracker.
Does it depend on the type of sensor used? I mean, I don't see more joints when I run the sample!

Ziv Hendel

May 17, 2012, 2:08:51 AM5/17/12
to OpenNI
NiUserTracker is just a sample viewer, it does not create the joints.

These new joints are reserved for future and internal NITE modules but
are not in use in the current released version...

Ziv.

Ziv Hendel

May 17, 2012, 2:33:02 AM5/17/12
to OpenNI
Hi Ed,

When using the no-calibration-pose skeleton (which is the default) you
cannot save or load the calibration data in the intial stage (usually
up to 15 seconds). During that time you should get "not implemented"
error. There was a bug in earlier versions which returned okay by
mistake - but it failed internally. The correct behaviour is to return
the error.

About the start up time - this shouldn't happen.

Can you tell me which sensor you are using and which sample are you
trying to run?
Are things behaving differently when you run the sample as root?
Is it only NITE samples that are slow to load or non-nite samples such
as NiViewer as well?

Here is what I measured on my machine MacOSX 10.7 Lion machine (with a
Kinect sensor)

Only SensorKinect installed:
NiViewer - 8 seconds to startup.
UserTracker - 9 seconds to startup.

With both Sensor+SensorKinect installed:
NiViewer - 14 seconds to startup.
UserTracker - 23 seconds to startup.

Ziv.