FW: [OpenNI-dev] Re: Licensing issues with OpenNI

Moshe Blitz

Jun 29, 2011, 6:59:06 AM6/29/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

In terms of licensing, it is important to distinguish between OpenNI (an open source interface layer) and NITE (PrimeSense’ proprietary middleware for computer vision capabilities).

OpenNI and PrimeSense’ NITE middleware are 2 separate components that use different licensing schemes:

·         OpenNI – is published under LGPL3. The reason there are both LGPL and GPL text files is that LGPL is an extension of GPL and the license requires to attach both text files.

·         NITE – is released for free for commercial use, as long as it is operated with a PrimeSense empowered sensor. Other than that do whatever you want – PrimeSense have no interest in limiting the variety and creativity of content. The only obligation when distributing NITE-based application is to request the end user to sign a EULA provided by PrimeSense. The purpose of this EULA is mainly to protect PrimeSense in any case of malicious usage.

We hope that the explanation above helps to relieve your worries. Feel free ask in case you need further details.

Regards,

Moshe Blitz

Moshe Blitz | Support Manager | PrimeSense |

www.primesense.com |

From: Anurag Tolety <anur...@gmail.com>
Date: 29 ביוני 2011 00:02:45 GMT+03:00
To: OpenNI <openn...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [OpenNI-dev] Re: Licensing issues with OpenNI

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Can anyone of the Primesense
employees on this group help with this question?

Anurag.

On Jun 28, 3:53 pm, Amir Hirsch <a...@catalystac.com> wrote:

Go ahead and use whatever works for your project and don't worry, if you're

successful enough, someone will surely sue you.

Amir

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Anurag Tolety <anurag...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

What license applies to OpenNI binaries/middleware? When I go to the

download page on sourceforge, I see txt files of GPL and LGPL included

in the download folder? Which one applies to the source code? If you

download the installer without downloading the source code, do the

licenses still apply?

Regards,

Anurag.

openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com.