MS update for Kinect?!

Lorne Covington

Jun 21, 2012, 9:18:52 PM6/21/12
to OpenNI, openk...@googlegroups.com

My Win7 update just notified me that it wants to update the "Microsoft
Kinect Camera".

I don't have the MS SDK installed, and the only Kinects I have used on
this system (the only ones I own) are Xbox Kinects.

Whasup wid dat?!

- Lorne

Roee Shenberg

Jun 22, 2012, 1:26:08 PM6/22/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I think this is how they're trying to kill OpenNI by pushing their non-OpenNI drivers over windows update.

- Lorne

Carlos Roberto

Jun 22, 2012, 1:42:06 PM6/22/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Very strange. I never saw this message regarding to update Kinect on my machine.

Carlos Roberto, MSc
Software Eng. Consultant @ IBM
My Blog
My LinkedIn
follow me @ twitter
My YouTube videos

Jeffrey Kesselman

Jun 22, 2012, 2:52:51 PM6/22/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Will installing their drivers effect the functionality of the OpenNI drivers on windows?

It's always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.

David Menard

Jun 22, 2012, 3:21:30 PM6/22/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hey!
I just reformated my HDD and got the same thing. Now windows will automatically install the Kienct SDK Driver for the Kinect and use it. It's simple enough to use OpenNIs driver instead though:

1- Go in your device manager & find the Kinect device (should be listed as the MS Kinect not OpenNI device)
2- Right click on it select "Update Driver Software"
3- In the opened window, select "Browse my computer for driver software"
4- In the next screen, click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
5- Select the OpenNI driver! (the click next, etc etc...)

Tada! your done and everything works fine :)