Anyone using OpenCV/PCL/RGBDemo to capture a hand-held object?

Chris Calef

May 24, 2011, 11:37:48 AM5/24/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm pretty new here, but am trying to figure out a way to track a weapon in addition to the user skeleton.  I just discovered PCL and RGBDemo, but am curious if anyone has been using it for tracking a fast-moving object in the scene... does it work?

Thanks!
Chris

Vahag

May 25, 2011, 2:46:15 AM5/25/11
to OpenNI
Hi.
If you are using Kinect, the max frame rate you can get, is 30 fps.
So, for very fast movements it can work not very correct.

Vahag

Radu B. Rusu

May 25, 2011, 12:07:10 PM5/25/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com, Chris Calef
We are building a 3D tracking infrastructure this summer into PCL. It would be interesting to know more about your use
case and the problem that you're trying to solve. Please join us on pcl-users@ for discussions.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
Point Cloud Library (PCL) - http://pointclouds.org

Chris Calef

May 25, 2011, 4:39:07 PM5/25/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the reply!  Email submitted to your list serve, awaiting acceptance.

Re: framerate, I think the 30 FPS will be plenty, I just want to be able to track a sword in realtime along with the NITE skeleton.  (I'm assuming using the NITE skeleton for the human is preferable to doing it yourself using PCL?)

The movement of the sword registers just fine in the sample user tracker - if I keep my arm more or less straight then the userGenerator can be convinced the sword is my forearm.  If it could just have one more joint added to the arm, it would work as is.  However, it would be even better if I could, using PCL, track it as a separate object, and hence be able to drop it, toss it, switch hands, etc.

Many thanks for all the great work so far, pointclouds.org made me drop my jaw!!!   =-)

Chris

ragav

Jun 9, 2011, 12:31:49 AM6/9/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys I am new to this group

May I know where can I get the PCL library files.

How to integrate openCV with PCL.

Please Let me know all these details...

Radu B. Rusu

Jun 9, 2011, 1:05:34 PM6/9/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com, ragav
Ragav,

http://www.pointclouds.org

> How to integrate openCV with PCL.

There's not much to integrate. The libraries are completely standalone and they should work well with your application.
Apparently, I gave a satisfactory response yesterday to a colleague of ours that was asking how are OpenCV and PCL
related. See here: http://point-cloud-library-pcl-mailing-list.967500.n3.nabble.com/OpenCV-or-PCL-td3036327.html