What should we do if there is no Approved Quantity while converting to order?

jkon...@soldevelo.com

Jul 3, 2017, 1:33:16 PM7/3/17
to OpenLMIS Dev
Hi all,

It is currently possible to disable approved quantity in a requisition template. Converting such requisition to order results in 500 error. What should we do in case that field is not present? We probably could either prevent the requisition from converting to order, use a different quantity such as calculated order quantity or requested quantity or treat it as 0. What do you think?

Best regards,
Jakub

Josh Zamor

Jul 3, 2017, 2:49:55 PM7/3/17
to jkon...@soldevelo.com, OpenLMIS Dev
Hi Jakub,

Not having the approved quantity field is a feature.  That’s my best recollection from previous versions of OpenLMIS at least.

The only option that I believe will be desired for the product’s functionality is the one where either the calculated order quantity or requested quantity are used.  Which one will depend on those field’s configurations, certainly.

This is really a question for the product committee, so lets see what they say here before we fix this bug.

What does concern me is where this error popped up.  You said it occurs on convert to order?  That’s a step where we transition from being in the Requisition service and move to the Fulfillment service.  The Requisition Template shouldn’t be known by the Fulfillment service.  When I look at the relevant JSON schema used when creating an Order (POST /api/orders):

I see all of these:
  • approvedQuantity (dispensing unit)
  • orderedQuantity (dispensing unit)
  • packsToShip (actual packages that are being ordered)
  • filledQuantity (what unit is this in?  dispensible?  packs?)

While we wait on product committee to verify the desired functionality, could someone give an explanation for why we have all these fields in the Order?  It would seem to me that we’d only need packsToShip, and filledQuantity would be something more like packsFilled or packsShipped.

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Jul 3, 2017, 8:43:06 PM7/3/17
to jkon...@soldevelo.com, Alpha Nnsaghurwe, Christopher Opit, OpenLMIS Dev, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com

Hello Product Committee members,

I have a quick request for input and feedback. Currently, and in previous versions, OpenLMIS allows a user to decide if the Approved Quantity column is displayed (or NOT) on the Report and Requisition via the Requisition Template.  Does anyone know if this flexibility was specifically requested by an implementer?

Do any of the current implementations NOT display an approved quantity in the R&R?

Can someone share a use case where a program wouldn’t want the approved quantity column show/used when approving requisitions?

If we still want to provide this option (display/not display), what do we do when we convert the requisition to order when there isn’t an approved quantity? Right now if approved quantities are not available, there will be an error when trying to convert to order (see Jakub’s initial question).

Please share your comments as soon as possible.

If we don’t have a reason for this flexibility then I’d suggest we do not allow users to unhide/use the approved quantity.  Right now the approved quantity is what is used for the order.

Thanks.

@josh – I will bring up your question on Friday during the Product Committee meeting.

Sebastian Brudziński

Jul 4, 2017, 4:03:37 AM7/4/17
to Mary Jo Kochendorfer, jkon...@soldevelo.com, Alpha Nnsaghurwe, Christopher Opit, OpenLMIS Dev, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

the Malawi implementation currently does not display approved quantity column for 3 out of 5 programs. This is because those programs won't be using OpenLMIS to order and only submit reporting information monthly (their RnR lifecycle ends at 'APPROVED' status).

In our use case, the initial issue raised by Jakub isn't a problem since we don't convert those requisitions to an order. It is technically possible to configure the system to do that though and this currently results in an error.

Best regards,
Sebastian.

Sebastian Brudziński
Software Developer / Team Leader
sbrud...@soldevelo.com

jkon...@soldevelo.com

Aug 2, 2017, 10:16:38 AM8/2/17
to OpenLMIS Dev, jkon...@soldevelo.com, nal...@tz.jsi.com, Chris...@zm.jsi.com, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

@Josh: I agree that we could remove some of these fields from OrderLineItem. For example, approvedQuantity doesn't seem to be used anywhere. I created a ticket to track this: https://openlmis.atlassian.net/browse/OLMIS-2932

@Mary: Did you have a chance to ask the Product Committee these questions? That would be really helpful.

Best Regards,
Jakub

Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Aug 7, 2017, 7:38:40 PM8/7/17
to jkon...@soldevelo.com, OpenLMIS Dev, nal...@tz.jsi.com, Chris...@zm.jsi.com, openlmis_prod...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jakub,

Yes, Chris and the team in Zambia provided additional information. No one indicated that a requisition is created without displaying the approved quantity amounts besides Malawi. Malawi doesn’t show the approved quantity in the requisition process because it is only using the reporting aspect of the requisition versus creating an order for fulfillment.

There was discussion around how there is a need for an order to be potentially split between two supplying warehouses, but that is new functionality versus currently implemented in version 3.  Zambia also added another order status which is converting a requisition that is not intended to be fulfilled and does not go to the supplying facility, it is called “released without order”. This happens when the requisition will not be filled for some reason.

Thank you for creating the ticket to track the conversation. I will update it with my comments.

Thanks,
Mary Jo

Sebastian Brudziński

Aug 10, 2017, 4:42:18 AM8/10/17
to openlm...@googlegroups.com, Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Hi Mary Jo,

based on PC feedback, what would be your recommendation for converting to an order requisitions that do not have approved quantity field enabled in the requisition template? Should there be a validation at the convert to order step and an error returned if there's an attempt to do so? We could also add a warning on the requisition template configuration UI, when disabling the approved quantity, something along the lines: "You will not be able to convert a requisition to an order, if approved quantity is not enabled".

A more advanced approach could be to fallback to calculated order quantity or requested quantity (in that order?) if you think that is more desirable.

Thanks,
Sebastian.

Sebastian Brudziński
Software Developer / Team Leader
sbrud...@soldevelo.com

jkon...@soldevelo.com

Aug 10, 2017, 11:41:29 AM8/10/17
to OpenLMIS Dev, maryjo.ko...@villagereach.org
Hi Sebastian,

We've talked about this with Mary and she says it makes sense to have some kind of validation. We could show up a meaningful error when the user tries converting such requisition to an order.

Best regards,
Jakub