OpenHab Designer not opening configurations folder

Christopher Smith

Dec 8, 2013, 1:45:03 AM12/8/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
When running the 1.4 Designer I cannot open the runtime/configurations folder... The tool reports:

The chosen directory is not a valid openHAB directory. Please choose a different one.

The server runs the configuration just fine and I was able to open the configuration with the 1.3 designer.

This fails even when I copy the demo/configuration folder to the runtime/configuration  folder.

What criteria is used to determine a valid configuration directory?

Thanks for any help on this.

Chris

Kai Kreuzer

Dec 8, 2013, 6:07:42 AM12/8/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com

What criteria is used to determine a valid configuration directory?

The existence of the openhab.cfg file - please note that you have to create this for your personal settings.

Regards,
Kai

Christopher Smith

Dec 8, 2013, 12:06:36 PM12/8/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I renamed openhab_default cfg to openhab.cfg but it seems to require openhab_default.cfg as well. I added it back and was able to load the configuration. Try removing it and then reloading the configurations folder - you will (or at least I did) get the error. Once the configuration is loaded you can remove the _default cfg and it works fine. The service always ran fine without it as well.

RGL

Jun 27, 2014, 5:37:22 PM6/27/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Problem still seems to be existing in release 1.5 of the OpenHab Designer. I was unable to open my configuration (hosted on a Linux box) from my Windows box. Once I added the openhab_default.cfg to the directory the designer was able to detect this as a valid configuration directory. This seems to be an unnacessary requirement.

[openhab.cfg file was of course existing.]

Kai Kreuzer

Jun 28, 2014, 5:10:11 AM6/28/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Well, openhab_default.cfg is actually considered to be a system file that must not be deleted.
The installation instructions ask you to create a personal openhab.cfg, but not to remove the default one. The idea is that your openhab.cfg only needs to contain your personal settings and nothing more - so it is small and easy to read.
But anyhow, for openHAB 2, this file will anyhow have gone completely and you will instead see many single configuration files for the different purposes.

Regards,
Kai

Am 27 Jun 2014 um 23:37 schrieb RGL <gloeckn...@gmail.com>:

Problem still seems to be existing in release 1.5 of the OpenHab Designer. I was unable to open my configuration (hosted on a Linux box) from my Windows box. Once I added the openhab_default.cfg to the directory the designer was able to detect this as a valid configuration directory. This seems to be an unnacessary requirement.

[openhab.cfg file was of course existing.]

Dirk-Jan Uittenbogaard

Aug 8, 2014, 4:29:14 PM8/8/14
Thank you for sharing this info.

So if the openhab_default.cfg is required, why is this file not there by default?
    (not in the runtime zip, not in the demo zip)
Did I miss something?

Thank you!
DJ

Kai Kreuzer

froy...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 6:22:32 PM9/2/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kai,

For what it's worth, the 'openhab_default.cfg' file is not present when obtaining the openHAB runtime as a package using apt-get, for instance.
Not sure why, but there's a definite difference between the runtime packaged as a zip archive and the debian package in the openHAB repo.

Best regards,
-Fabien.

Thomas E.-E.

Sep 10, 2014, 4:35:06 AM9/10/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, froy...@gmail.com
Hi Fabien,

could you please have a look if there is a openhab.cfg available instead? It seems the packaging script renames the openhab_default.cfg into etc/openhab/configurations/openhab.cfg.

Thanks, Thomas E.-E.

Fabien Royer

Sep 10, 2014, 11:44:50 AM9/10/14
to Thomas E.-E., ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

The openhab.cfg file is there. I initially expected to find the 'default' one, according to the docs.

Thanks,

Best regards,
-Fabien.

Thomas E.-E.

Sep 12, 2014, 5:43:58 AM9/12/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, teic...@gmail.com, fab...@nwazet.com
ok, so please rename openhab.cfg into openhab_default.cfg and create a blank openhab.cfg.

Best, Thomas E.-E.