Insteon 2413U USB pass through with VMware ESXi?

Simon Bodger

May 3, 2015, 10:36:13 PM5/3/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I am looking at making the leap into OpenHAB and have it running on a Ubuntu VM running on VMWare ESXi. To get started, I want to add some Insteon dimmer switches, and my research so far indicates that I'm best off getting a Insteon 2413U as the controller. Can anyone validate this? Also, has anyone used one of these where OpenHAB is running on a virtual machine?

Bernd Pfrommer

May 4, 2015, 8:52:55 AM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
There are two routes you can go:

1) Buy an Insteon PLM 2413U and hope and pray you get the USB pass through to work with ESXi. If you have one of the cheap USB-to-Serial converters that are handled under by the linux ftdi driver, and you get that to work under ESXi, you are very likely to get the 2413U to show up under /dev/ttyUSB0 as well. Provided you get the modem to show up on the serial port, this is the best supported and tested option under openhab.
2) Buy an InsteonHub and connect to it via the network, using the insteonplm binding. Since it's a networked device there are no issues to worry about with the ESXi. BUT: the insteonhub binding does not work with the latest insteonhubs ("2014") anymore. Insteon plugged the raw tcp port that the insteonhub binding was using, so you need to use the insteonplm binding, which has experimental support for the 2014 hub, going through its http interface rather than the raw port. I tested it with my 2014 hub, but not thoroughly, and what I tested (simple switches) worked. However, to set up complex link relationships with my PLM modem I use HouseLinc, and that one DOES NOT work with the latest 2014 hubs, so functionality is limited with approach 2) for lack of suitable configuration tools.

Let me know which route you go and how you make out. I'd love to run openhab under a virtual machine, but I'm running XenServer and couldn't get USB pass through to work.

Nathan Stratton

May 4, 2015, 10:44:15 AM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Bernd Pfrommer <bernd.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I run it on KVM, I started to mess with USB and ended up going with option 2).  So far no problems other then not being able to figure out JSONPATH transforms.

Bernd Pfrommer

May 4, 2015, 10:49:27 AM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Just to confirm: you have an InsteonHub 2014 working with the InsteonPLM binding, and as far the InsteonPLM binding is concerned you have no issues? Mind telling us what Insteon devices you are controlling?

Thanks!

Bernd

Nathan Stratton

May 4, 2015, 12:18:11 PM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I am using insteonhub, the PLM will work with the hub also? Right now I have two dozen devices, but my house is still under construction so I will have at least 100 more.

><>
nathan stratton | vp technology | broadsoft, inc | +1-240-404-6580 | www.broadsoft.com

Bernd Pfrommer

May 4, 2015, 12:28:56 PM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Old hub: use InsteonHub binding, could potentially also use InsteonPLM binding.
New hub (model "2014"): must use InsteonPLM binding.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "openhab" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/openhab.

Nathan Stratton

May 4, 2015, 1:33:39 PM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 12:28:56 PM UTC-4, Bernd Pfrommer wrote:
Old hub: use InsteonHub binding, could potentially also use InsteonPLM binding.
New hub (model "2014"): must use InsteonPLM binding.

Any advantage of upgrading to the new 2014 HUB?

Simon Bodger

May 4, 2015, 2:29:39 PM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bernd! I'd actually prefer a ethernet connected controller/hub simply because it's a more flexible solution, but I'm hopeful the PLM 2413U would work after reading your reply and finding this. I think I'll just go ahead and order one.

Bernd Pfrommer

May 4, 2015, 3:33:51 PM5/4/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Quite the opposite: the 2014 hub is a big step in the wrong direction: they closed the raw PLM access and it can no longer configured with HouseLinc.

Nathan Stratton

May 11, 2015, 10:35:55 AM5/11/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Bernd Pfrommer <bernd.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Quite the opposite: the 2014 hub is a big step in the wrong direction: they closed the raw PLM access and it can no longer configured with HouseLinc.

I ask because it looks like no one is maintaining the insteonHUB binding so I wanted to be able to use PLM and it does not seem to work with my old (pre 2014) HUB.

Bernd Pfrommer

May 11, 2015, 11:17:01 AM5/11/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
1) There is actually a chance that the InsteonPLM binding may work with the old hub. We implemented and tested against the http interface of the new hub, which supposedly is the same as the old hub. But not having any test device I did not want to claim it's supported. Can you just try and configure it as a 2014 hub? Would love to know if it works.
2) The much more reliable and performant way of doing this is to use the raw tcp port that is available on the old hubs. The implementation should be fairly easy and I could do it in an afternoon, but I'd need a commitment from you to test the implementation.

Nathan Stratton

May 11, 2015, 2:43:39 PM5/11/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Bernd Pfrommer <bernd.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
1) There is actually a chance that the InsteonPLM binding may work with the old hub. We implemented and tested against the http interface of the new hub, which supposedly is the same as the old hub. But not having any test device I did not want to claim it's supported. Can you just try and configure it as a 2014 hub? Would love to know if it works.

14:41:43.265 [ERROR] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  :352  ] - got exception in write thread:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 114
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1907) ~[na:1.7.0_79]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.poll(HubIOStream.java:166) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.write(HubIOStream.java:121) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream$HubOutputStream.flushBuffer(HubIOStream.java:279) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream$HubOutputStream.write(HubIOStream.java:274) ~[na:na]
at java.io.OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:75) ~[na:1.7.0_79]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.Port$IOStreamWriter.run(Port.java:333) ~[na:na]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.7.0_79]
14:41:43.266 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  :327  ] - writing (0): OUT:Cmd:0x69|
14:41:43.809 [ERROR] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  :352  ] - got exception in write thread:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 114
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1907) ~[na:1.7.0_79]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.poll(HubIOStream.java:166) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.write(HubIOStream.java:121) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream$HubOutputStream.flushBuffer(HubIOStream.java:279) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream$HubOutputStream.write(HubIOStream.java:274) ~[na:na]
at java.io.OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:75) ~[na:1.7.0_79]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.Port$IOStreamWriter.run(Port.java:333) ~[na:na]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.7.0_79]
Exception in thread "Thread-26" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 114
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1907)
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.poll(HubIOStream.java:166)
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.run(HubIOStream.java:205)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

2) The much more reliable and performant way of doing this is to use the raw tcp port that is available on the old hubs. The implementation should be fairly easy and I could do it in an afternoon, but I'd need a commitment from you to test the implementation.

Yes! On top of that I am happy to pay you for your time.

-Nathan

Nathan Stratton

May 11, 2015, 2:54:47 PM5/11/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
The log below is what happens when I try to turn on a light. Note, that this worked with insteonhub binding so I know my insteon network is good. Also I checked the user/pass on a static webpage and they are good.

14:51:56.482 [DEBUG] [.i.s.XsltTransformationService:89   ] - transformation resulted in '24.6'
14:51:56.482 [DEBUG] [.o.b.http.internal.HttpBinding:194  ] - transformed response is '24.6'
14:51:56.483 [INFO ] [runtime.busevents             :26   ] - Septic_Level state updated to 24.6
14:51:57.202 [DEBUG] [o.p.d.i.Db4oPersistenceService:117  ] - Stored item state 'Shed_Light' -> 'OFF'
14:51:57.203 [INFO ] [runtime.busevents             :22   ] - Shed_Light received command OFF
14:51:57.203 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:122  ] - Item: Shed_Light got command OFF
14:51:57.203 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.i.device.InsteonDevice:170  ] - processing command OFF features: 2
14:51:57.204 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.i.device.CommandHandler:154  ] - LightOnOffCommandHandler: sent msg to switch 24.33.B8 off
14:51:57.204 [WARN ] [o.o.b.i.i.device.InsteonDevice:339  ] - gave up waiting for query reply from device 24.33.B8
14:51:57.204 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.i.device.InsteonDevice:344  ] - qe taken off direct: GenericSwitch(1:1:4) OUT:Cmd:0x62|toAddress:24.33.B8|messageFlags:0x0F=DIRECT:3:3|command1:0x13|command2:0x00|
14:51:57.204 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.i.device.InsteonDevice:364  ] - next request queue processed in 2000 msec, quiettime = 2000
14:51:57.204 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  :327  ] - writing (500): OUT:Cmd:0x62|toAddress:24.33.B8|messageFlags:0x0F=DIRECT:3:3|command1:0x13|command2:0x00|
14:51:57.701 [ERROR] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  :352  ] - got exception in write thread:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 114
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1907) ~[na:1.7.0_79]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.poll(HubIOStream.java:166) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream.write(HubIOStream.java:121) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream$HubOutputStream.flushBuffer(HubIOStream.java:279) ~[na:na]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream$HubOutputStream.write(HubIOStream.java:274) ~[na:na]
at java.io.OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:75) ~[na:1.7.0_79]
at org.openhab.binding.insteonplm.internal.driver.Port$IOStreamWriter.run(Port.java:333) ~[na:na]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.7.0_79]
14:51:59.205 [DEBUG] [i.i.device.RequestQueueManager:129  ] - device queue for 24.33.B8 is empty!

><>
nathan stratton | vp technology | broadsoft, inc | +1-240-404-6580 | www.broadsoft.com

Bernd Pfrommer

May 11, 2015, 8:44:51 PM5/11/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,

While it would be nice to be able to access new and old hub through the http interface, it's just too cumbersome to debug, and the raw tcp/PLM access available on the old hub is plain superior, so let's put debugging this on the back burner for now.

Instead: here is the binding with support for the old hub:

https://github.com/berndpfrommer/openhab/tree/insteonplm

Make sure you grab the "insteonplm" branch, and that "git log" shows
commit 085ee5f83e3d50d4afb5edbe2c25531b79ad7a17

so:

git checkout insteonplm
git log
export JAVA_HOME=/whereever_your_java_is
mvn clean install

then find the .zip file and copy it to the runtime folder...

Then in openhab.cfg you need a line like this:

 insteonplm:port_0=/hub/localhost:9761

Since I don't have the old hub I tested by using ser2sock to convert my serial port PLM into a socket, and then connected to that.

Let me know how it goes.

PS: I don't take money but if the debugging gets too tedious I would appreciate if somebody could lend me an old insteonhub.

PPS: if you get the binding to work, try disconnecting your hub and reconnecting it to see how the binding handles that.

Nathan Stratton

May 12, 2015, 3:30:24 PM5/12/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Had a few issues building, but once I figured that out everything worked perfectly, even disconnect / reconnect!!!

-Nathan

Bernd Pfrommer

May 12, 2015, 7:14:45 PM5/12/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Great!

Thanks for turning around so quickly on the test! The importance of competent and diligent testers cannot be underestimated!

Greg EVA

May 13, 2015, 4:37:41 AM5/13/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 4 May 2015 14:52:55 UTC+2, Bernd Pfrommer wrote:

Let me know which route you go and how you make out. I'd love to run openhab under a virtual machine, but I'm running XenServer and couldn't get USB pass through to work.

I'd love to do this as well, as I've got all sorts of resources on my XenServer which I cannot use for OpenHAB.

Apparently XenServer does not support USB pass-through, at least since 6.2, and it does not seem that there are any plans to do so any time soon, despite the need for things like licensing dongles, cellular data modems, etc.

I wonder if a distributed OpenHAB system might be a good idea, where an interface OH has NICs plugged in, and then using the MQTT event bus interface connects back to a more powerful OpenHAB which handles rules, etc.

Bernd Pfrommer

May 13, 2015, 6:43:36 AM5/13/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
One possible workaround is using ser2sock, which is a local daemon that exposes a serial port as a raw tcp socket. You could run ser2sock on e.g. a raspberry pi to which all your serial ports are connected, and then from your vm-ware based openhab connect to the tcp sockets. At least for the InsteonPLM binding that is now an option.

The "socat" program supposedly allows forwarding of an entire serial port. It creates a local tty that mirrors a remote serial port. I have tried it for testing but never in a production environment.

Bernd

Mark Cornhill

May 13, 2015, 8:02:54 AM5/13/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Bernd, can you provide detail for the non-git savy please? My googling hasn't got me anywhere.

git checkout insteonplm
git log

Bernd Pfrommer

May 13, 2015, 8:16:24 AM5/13/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I can only give you instructions for gnu/linux type operating systems, since I don't do windows or mac:

In a bash shell, run thes commands:

cd build_directory  (substitute with your build directory)

cd openhab
 git checkout insteonplm

Now you should see that you are on the insteonplm branch:
git branch should return:
* insteonplm
  master

Now build:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk    (replace with location of your java jdk)
mvn clean install

(this will run a long while, and should build the entire openhab)

when done copy the insteonplm zip file into the addons directory of your runtime directory:

cd whereever_your_runtime_lives

cp build_directory/openhab/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.insteonplm/target/org.openhab.binding.insteonplm-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.jar addons/

then restart openhab

Mark Cornhill

May 13, 2015, 8:24:19 AM5/13/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the details, I'm running on Raspberry Pi 2 running Debian Wheezy, I'll let you know how I go.

Nathan Stratton

May 13, 2015, 3:37:23 PM5/13/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Bernd Pfrommer <bernd.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can only give you instructions for gnu/linux type operating systems, since I don't do windows or mac:

The only way to go!

In a bash shell, run thes commands:

cd build_directory  (substitute with your build directory)

cd openhab
 git checkout insteonplm

Now you should see that you are on the insteonplm branch:
git branch should return:
* insteonplm
  master

Now build:

I found that at least with Centos, you need to add:

export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk    (replace with location of your java jdk)
mvn clean install

Also, if you run use "mvn -T {num of threads} clean install" such as -T 8 for 8 core box it runs much faster.

(this will run a long while, and should build the entire openhab)

when done copy the insteonplm zip file into the addons directory of your runtime directory:

cd whereever_your_runtime_lives

cp build_directory/openhab/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.insteonplm/target/org.openhab.binding.insteonplm-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.jar addons/

then restart openhab

-Nathan

Nathan Stratton

May 14, 2015, 10:51:13 AM5/14/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Bernd Pfrommer <bernd.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great!

Thanks for turning around so quickly on the test! The importance of competent and diligent testers cannot be underestimated!

I wanted to thank you again for your work in the InsteonPLM binding. I did some more testing and found that it works better then the InsteonHUB binding did.  As an example, before I was able to dim the lights on the IOS App, but the icon would not show the state of the dim, but now it does. Feedback in general seams much better, I wonder if it makes sense to just get rid of the InsteonHUB binding and update the Wiki? It does not look like it is supported anymore and I think having two Insteon bindings especially when one is so deficient is just a confusion for users.

-Nathan

Bernd Pfrommer

May 14, 2015, 3:30:35 PM5/14/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,

You are welcome.

Yes, I noticed the original developer of the InsteonHub binding is no longer responding on the forums. Had I known what I know today (that it actually accesses the PLM modem inside the Hub) I would have probably modified the InsteonHub binding rather than writing the PLM binding from scratch. But that's rearview mirror.

The InsteonHub binding is older than the PLM binding, there could be many users out there. So removal is definitely not an option. Out of respect for the original developers and because I don't really know the binding, I don't want to claim the PLM binding is superior. For now the two bindings will coexist until there are enough users like you who have used both bindings and have concluded the PLM binding works better. If you want to update the insteonhub wiki page and mention the insteonplm binding there, feel free to do so.

Bernd

Mark Cornhill

May 14, 2015, 5:40:27 PM5/14/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Still working on this, issues with installing Maven on Pi 2. Hope to get it sorted asap.

Rob Nielsen

May 15, 2015, 8:42:48 AM5/15/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
An easier way is to use the latest build by CloudBees for the PR: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/pull/2590. It currently is: https://buildhive.cloudbees.com/job/openhab/job/openhab/2956/

Simon Bodger

May 15, 2015, 9:15:20 PM5/15/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Quick update on my original question ... :-)  I received my PLM 2413U and plugged into a Dell T320 running VMware ESXi 6.0 and passed one of the USB controllers through to my Ubuntu 15.04 Server VM with openHAB installed. I could see it labeled as FT232R USB UART. Fired up the VM and I see /dev/ttyUSB0 . So it all looks good so far. Now I need to buy some devices to control and configure openHAB for the real test...

Thanks for the comprehensive information. If it's useful for me to document this somewhere more fully or there's any testing you want me to do, let me know....

Simon Bodger

May 16, 2015, 12:16:48 AM5/16/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I may have spoken too soon, I'm seeing these messages in the openhab log file"

 [INFO ] [.service.AbstractActiveService] - InsteonPLM has been started
 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - config: service.pid -> org.openhab.insteonplm
 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - config: port_0 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - devices:   0 configured,   0 polling, msgs received:     0
 [ERROR] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  ] - got no such port for /dev/ttyUSB0
 [ERROR] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port  ] - failed to open port /dev/ttyUSB0
 [ERROR] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - initialization complete, but found no ports!

I will investigate another time....

Rob Nielsen

May 18, 2015, 8:57:24 AM5/18/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
What is the permissions for /dev/ttyUSB0? Mine is:

$ ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 188, 0 May 18 07:55 /dev/ttyUSB0

If you haven't already you'll want to add the user to the group that has rw permissions, in my case it's dialout.

Simon Bodger

May 26, 2015, 7:25:39 AM5/26/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I did a few things, including chmod'ing /dev/ttyUSB0 and it seems to work now. Just ordered my first Insteon light switch, so hopefully I'll be able to prove for sure it all works soon...

Thanks all.

Simon Bodger

May 27, 2015, 7:57:50 PM5/27/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I received a 2466S toggle switch today and replaced one of the regular switches in my home with it. I used a Windows install with HouseLinc to add it to the device database (I had to manually edit HouseLincs devices.xml for it to recognise the 2413U ....) and it all works fine.

So to summarize: I have an Insteon 2413U modem talking to a 2466S toggle switch via OpenHab 1.7 running on Ubuntu Server 15.04 on VMware EXSi 6.0

Thanks for the help guys :-)