APIs for translating addresses to Congressional District

Rob Thorne

Jun 6, 2011, 9:46:07 PM6/6/11
to opendems-discuss
I've been looking over Open Dems, and seeing what's exposed at this
point and what isn't. I work with Democrats Abroad, and am interested
in using stuff from the lab for their sites.

I quickly looked over the Precinct API, which does both more and less
than what I'd need. An ideal resource would be any way of translating
addresses into CD at the very least (getting state district data would
be good as well), since that would make it easier for DA's membership
to make a difference in races like last month's NY26 race.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Thorne
Torenware Networks

Nathan Woodhull

Jun 6, 2011, 9:53:44 PM6/6/11
to opendems...@googlegroups.com
This API should be able to help. I'm not sure that the DNC provides
exactly that service publicly.

http://congress.mcommons.com/

You'll need to geocode to get lat/lng first, and then feed the
coordinates into that in order to get CD back.

Nathan

Christopher Gill

Jun 6, 2011, 9:53:36 PM6/6/11
to opendems...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rob,

You should check out the API that Mobile Commons built:
http://congress.mcommons.com/ - it takes as input a latitude and
longitude, so you might need to use google's clientside geocoder
(http://code.google.com/apis/maps/articles/geocodestrat.html) or
similar to turn an address into a lat/long and then ping the Mobile
Commons API with that.

Hope that helps,
chris