Open Cog Properties

Piaget Modeler

Dec 12, 2017, 9:11:02 PM12/12/17
to opencog
I'm a newbie to Open cog, and I have some questions.

Of the following properties, which would you say the Open Cog system exhibits:

observation (ability to receive input),
coordination (ability to create inferences),
reminding (ability to recall observations),
reaction (ability to respond to incoming stimuli),
deliberation (ability to pursue goals),
motivation (ability to formulate goals based on
 needs),
simulation (ability to create forward models),
meta-control (ability to dynamically adjust its own processes at run-time),
regulation (ability to correct or reinforce behaviors),
compensation (ability to cancel or neutralize undesired outcomes),
experimentation (ability to try new actions to gain knowledge),
discovery (ability to formulate and test hypotheses),
consolidation (ability to forget or compress information).

Kindly advise.

Michael Miller (Piaget Modeler)

Ben Goertzel

Dec 12, 2017, 9:17:51 PM12/12/17
to opencog
If you mean, which of these is the OpenCog system *intended* to be
able to demonstrate, and can theoretically manifest according to the
design, then -- definitely all of them

If you mean, which of these can some openCog based system now
runnable demonstrate, it's a much more complicated answer, because a
lot of these things can now be done but in various limited ways, and I
don't have time to type all the details right now...

Over the next few months here in HK we are making a renewed push at
getting OpenCog to usefully control the Sophia robot (we did this sort
of work a year ago and then paused it to focus on various internal
improvements) ... once this work is all integrated and effectively
functional, then we will have a system doing all of these things in a
limited way in the context of controlling the humanoid robot head/arms
with speech and vision input and speech and movement output.... Nil
has finished a working PLN forward/backward chainer and we need to do
a little more work to connect it properly with OpenPsi, and then to
get all this working properly with our various visual perception tools
... once this is done all the things you ask will finally work in a
simple way with the robot, and we'll then work on making it more
complex/subtle/intelligent...

ben
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/54ba5ada-4686-4b70-b4c2-ed4e31f01663%40googlegroups.com.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

"I am God! I am nothing, I'm play, I am freedom, I am life. I am the
boundary, I am the peak." -- Alexander Scriabin

Piaget Modeler

Dec 12, 2017, 10:21:08 PM12/12/17
to opencog
Are there particular components or combinations of components in the architecture which
are responsible for providing these individual properties. For example observation means
taking information from the world and storing it (presumably as Atoms). Coordination means
making inferences (creating new atoms) based on existing or newly stored observations.
Reaction would be a component that gives a reflex response (high reliability) to incoming
information. Deliberation means a component responsible for generating actions that pursue goals,
and so forth...

Kindly advise.

Michael Miller

Linas Vepstas

Dec 13, 2017, 12:25:11 AM12/13/17
to opencog
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Piaget Modeler <piaget...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are there particular components or combinations of components in the architecture which
are responsible for providing these individual properties. For example observation means
taking information from the world and storing it (presumably as Atoms).

The robot has a super-crude vision system. It's nearly blind. It can see faces, locate them in 3D space.  It has an Intel realsense thingy that returns human body and hand position data, but its .. crude and inadequate.  The realsense is not hooked up to the atomspace at the moment. Perhaps we could steal some code or ideas from CogSketch or QSRlib.  (google those)

Sound: we have speech-to-text, via google.  It sort-of-ish works sort-of if you have a good microphone, and no background noise. Otherwise, its not so good.  It cannot tell if you are whispering, shouting, angry, serene. It cannot tell if there is an audience that is clapping, booing. It cannot tell if its in a crowded room or an empty room.

Turns out sensory input is a really hard problem.

Coordination means
making inferences (creating new atoms) based on existing or newly stored observations.

Yeah, got a bunch of these subsystems, all doing different things.

Reaction would be a component that gives a reflex response (high reliability) to incoming
information.

Yeah, we call that the "chatbot" it doesn't think at all. It just does bogus scripted responses.

Deliberation means a component responsible for generating actions that pursue goals,
and so forth...

We've got parts scattered about for that, partly assembled and partly disassembled.  Its PLN and the rule engine and attention allocation and other bits.

--linas
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opencog+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

"The problem is not that artificial intelligence will get too smart and take over the world," computer scientist Pedro Domingos writes, "the problem is that it's too stupid and already has."

Piaget Modeler

Dec 13, 2017, 4:27:27 AM12/13/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Linus. .. and the other properties?

Michael.

Ben Goertzel

Dec 13, 2017, 6:00:02 AM12/13/17
to opencog
> The robot has a super-crude vision system. It's nearly blind. It can see
> faces, locate them in 3D space. It has an Intel realsense thingy that
> returns human body and hand position data, but its .. crude and inadequate.
> The realsense is not hooked up to the atomspace at the moment. Perhaps we
> could steal some code or ideas from CogSketch or QSRlib. (google those)
>
> Sound: we have speech-to-text, via google. It sort-of-ish works sort-of if
> you have a good microphone, and no background noise. Otherwise, its not so
> good. It cannot tell if you are whispering, shouting, angry, serene. It
> cannot tell if there is an audience that is clapping, booing. It cannot tell
> if its in a crowded room or an empty room.

Actually we have code for recognizing emotion from face and voice which has
been used experimentally with OpenCog...

>> Reaction would be a component that gives a reflex response (high
>> reliability) to incoming
>> information.
>

> Yeah, we call that the "chatbot" it doesn't think at all. It just does bogus
> scripted responses.

There is also code for physical reaction to observations, e.g. blink mirroring,
facial expression mirroring, etc.

ben

Linas Vepstas

Dec 13, 2017, 11:31:13 AM12/13/17
to opencog
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Piaget Modeler <piaget...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Linus. .. and the other properties?

I'm not sure how to answer your question.  Yes, they are all important, yes, we've all thought about them at length, written about them, have specific solutions in mind, made plans to implement them.

I feel quite clear on the next steps to take, but the hours in the day, they are few.

--linas