Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Avraham Adler

no leída,
15 feb 2017, 2:41:3015/2/17
a OpenBLAS-users
Let me preface by saying I'm a happy and grateful user of OpenBLAS; thank you all for your continued support of the software!

My question is that it seems the most "advanced" features being used in OpenBLAS for Intel chips are those found in Haswell, as anything more advanced (Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake) are mapped to Haswell (and thus AVX2). Are there any plans to take advantage of newer features of the more recent chips? Are those advances not suitable or helpful?

Thanks,

Avi

Zhang Xianyi

no leída,
20 feb 2017, 21:56:1820/2/17
a Avraham Adler,OpenBLAS-users
We will get a sky lake server in a few days. Then, we can start to develop OpenBLAS on new architecture.

The Broadwell is the similar with Haswell. Therefore, it is OK to use Haswell kernels.

Xianyi

Jeff Hammond

no leída,
27 may 2017, 19:02:3927/5/17
a OpenBLAS-users,avraha...@gmail.com
Avi,

Broadwell is the tick for Haswell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-Tock_model) so I would not expect any need to change the OpenBLAS source. One is more likely to require an algorithm change between e.g. an 8-core and 18-core Haswell processor (for the multithreaded case) than e.g. a 16-core Haswell processor and an 18-core Broadwell processor.

Skylake Xeon processors with AVX-512 are definitely going to require code changes to perform optimally. However, the Core i[357] processors up to and including Kaby Lake do not support AVX-512 and thus can suffice with the existing AVX2 implementation that targets Haswell.  See https://ark.intel.com/#@Processors and look for "Instruction Set Extensions" for full details on on specific SKUs.

Assembly hackers may be interested in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-emulator, which allows one to run binaries compared for the latest architectures on other hardware.  For example, I run KNL AVX-512 code on my Haswell Core i7 with SDE.  It is an emulator and runs ~100x slower than native, but it is incredibly useful for debugging assembly code.

Full disclosure: I am an Intel employee.

Jeff

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:56:18 PM UTC-8, Zhang Xianyi wrote:
We will get a sky lake server in a few days. Then, we can start to develop OpenBLAS on new architecture.

The Broadwell is the similar with Haswell. Therefore, it is OK to use Haswell kernels.

Xianyi

Let me preface by saying I'm a happy and grateful user of OpenBLAS; thank you all for your continued support of the software!

My question is that it seems the most "advanced" features being used in OpenBLAS for Intel chips are those found in Haswell, as anything more advanced (Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake) are mapped to Haswell (and thus AVX2). Are there any plans to take advantage of newer features of the more recent chips? Are those advances not suitable or helpful?

Thanks,

Avi

Avraham Adler

no leída,