Baking badges with new assertion spec

yuliya...@totaralms.com

Mar 18, 2013, 4:59:43 PM3/18/13
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We are currently rewriting our badge baking code to support new assertion specification and wanted to clarify couple things:

First of all, it is not quite clear any more what is being baked into badge. Earlier it was a keyword 'openbadge' with assertion url in tEXt chunk of png file. Looking at this page https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges/wiki/Open-Badge-Baking-Specification (which by the way hasn't been updated for 8 months), it looks like we should be switching to iTXt? Is it still correct? If it is, how then signed assertion information is baked into the badge now? New spec at https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges/wiki/New-Assertion-Specification has good JSON examples, but is still a bit confusing. For example, this assertion JSON from the page

{
  "uid": "f2c20",
  "recipient": {
    "type": "email",
    "hashed": true,
    "salt": "deadsea",
    "identity": "sha256$c7ef86405ba71b85acd8e2e95166c4b111448089f2e1599f42fe1bba46e865c5"
  },
  "image": "https://example.org/beths-robot-badge.png",
  "evidence": "https://example.org/beths-robot-work.html",
  "issuedOn": 1359217910,
  "badge": "https://example.org/robotics-badge.json",
  "verify": {
    "type": "hosted",
    "url": "https://example.org/beths-robotics-badge.json"
  }
}
Is this what is baked into badge? Or is it what assertion url should return? If this is information from assertion url, why then we need to include what kind of assertion it is and url to this assertion json? Shouldn't this be already in a badge file itself? Not sure if I explained it clear enough... Probably my main question at this point is what we are actually baking into badge file?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Yuliya

fayeh...@googlemail.com

Apr 26, 2013, 5:27:20 AM4/26/13
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
I would also like some answers on this, I am trying to hand bake a badge at the moment and I was under the impression that we should be using iTXt due to reading the same article, however I issued myself a badge using the Issuer API and then downloaded the image from my backpack then looked at the chunks using TweakPng: http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/ Looking at the downloaded PNG it appears that the badges created by the Issuer API are still using tEXt.

yuliya...@totaralms.com

May 19, 2013, 9:42:47 PM5/19/13
to openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Would be great if someone from Mozilla team could actually have a look and answer these questions... :(

Yuliya

Chris McAvoy

May 20, 2013, 12:26:26 PM5/20/13
to yuliya...@totaralms.com, openbad...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. It looks like our docs are out of step with the implementation. All of the baking / unbaking code moved to a separate repository, https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges-bakery. The baking spec has changed, but the docs haven't been updated. We'll get the docs in order asap. In the meantime, the bakery code is in production, so if you're comfortable with source, that's a good place to start.

We'll get the docs cleaned up...

Chris

@chmcavoy
http://lonelylion.com