Problems Using the OlaOutput external with Max 6

Maschinist

Feb 29, 2012, 3:51:49 PM2/29/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi to all the group :-),

i'm a newbie to Ola and so I'm not sure what went wrong with my setup and I could find anything in the group.
I want to use an Open DMX Ethernet (POE)-Device with Max6 on MacOsx 10.7.3 but Max will not run the OlaOutput printing the following Error in the Max-Window:
OlaOutput: unable to load object bundle executable
Error loading /Users/Limor/Documents/Max/Objects/externals/OlaOutput.mxo/Contents/MacOS/OlaOutput:
dlopen(/Users/Machina/Documents/Max/Objects/externals/OlaOutput.mxo/Contents/MacOS/OlaOutput, 262): Library not loaded:
 /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib
   Referenced from: /Users/Machina/Documents/Max/Objects/externals/OlaOutput.mxo/Contents/MacOS/OlaOutput
   Reason: image not found

With the Ola-Webinterface Everything works fine, so this should installed properly.

If anybody has clue what went wrong, it would be great to hear from you soon.

kind regards
robin

Simon Newton

Feb 29, 2012, 8:18:29 PM2/29/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Maschinist <robinatm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to all the group :-),
>
> i'm a newbie to Ola and so I'm not sure what went wrong with my setup and I
> could find anything in the group.
> I want to use an Open DMX Ethernet (POE)-Device with Max6 on MacOsx 10.7.3
> but Max will not run the OlaOutput printing the following Error in the
> Max-Window:
> OlaOutput: unable to load object bundle executable
> Error loading
> /Users/Limor/Documents/Max/Objects/externals/OlaOutput.mxo/Contents/MacOS/OlaOutput:
> dlopen(/Users/Machina/Documents/Max/Objects/externals/OlaOutput.mxo/Contents/MacOS/OlaOutput,
> 262): Library not loaded:
>  /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib
>    Referenced from:
> /Users/Machina/Documents/Max/Objects/externals/OlaOutput.mxo/Contents/MacOS/OlaOutput
>    Reason: image not found
>
> With the Ola-Webinterface Everything works fine, so this should installed
> properly.

How did you install ola?

What does

file  /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib

display?

Simon

> If anybody has clue what went wrong, it would be great to hear from you
> soon.
>
> kind regards
> robin
>

> --
> open-l...@googlegroups.com /
> http://groups.google.com/group/open-lighting

Maschinist

Mar 1, 2012, 4:28:44 AM3/1/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

I installed via MacPorts and the file /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib displays:

Last login: Thu Mar  1 10:08:04 on console
Machina:~ Machina /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
-bash: /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: cannot execute binary file
logout

[Prozess beendet]

when executed. Sadly I can not open the .dylib format and so far as I know it isn't possible.

Could it be a compiling error. (The System is 64bit)

Thank you for your fast reply.
Robin

Simon Newton

Mar 1, 2012, 4:58:06 AM3/1/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Maschinist <robinatm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I installed via MacPorts and the file /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib
> displays:
>
> Last login: Thu Mar  1 10:08:04 on console
> Machina:~ Machina /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
> -bash: /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: cannot execute binary file

You need to run

`file /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib`

(without the quotes)

If you installed with macports there shouldn't be a
/usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib . macports installs into /opt

Simon

Maschinist

Mar 1, 2012, 10:03:22 AM3/1/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Sorry my fault the file is as you said installed into /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib and when I open is with file /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib:
it displays:

/opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Thanks for your help.
Robin

/opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
Limor:~ Limor$ /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;

-bash: /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: cannot execute binary file
logout

Daniel

Mar 1, 2012, 2:10:57 PM3/1/12
to open-lighting
Hi Machinist-

Just a quick heads up - OlaOutput was built and tested against the Max
5 SDK only. I don't have the full version of Max; only MaxForLive,
which currently only uses the Max 5 editor. I don't have any plans to
upgrade to the full version of Max 6 (~$300), so I don't personally
have the ability to fix any issues if anything traces back to Max 6
being the culprit. It looks like your issue may not be within the Max
6 space, but I just wanted to let you know you are blazing a new trail
here, and we thank you in advance for sharing your experiences with
the community.

Daniel

On Mar 1, 7:03 am, Maschinist <robinatmachin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry my fault the file is as you said installed into
> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib and when I open is with file
> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib:
> it displays:
>
> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared
> library x86_64
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Robin
>
> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
> Limor:~ Limor$ /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
> -bash: /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: cannot execute binary file
> logout
>

> On Thursday, 1 March 2012 10:58:06 UTC+1, Simon Newton wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Maschinist <robinatmachin...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Simon,
>
> > > I installed via MacPorts and the file /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib
> > > displays:
>
> > > Last login: Thu Mar  1 10:08:04 on console
> > > Machina:~ Machina /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
> > > -bash: /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: cannot execute binary file
>
> > You need to run
>
> > `file /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib`
>
> > (without the quotes)
>
> > If you installed with macports there shouldn't be a
> > /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib . macports installs into /opt
>
> > Simon
>
> > > logout
>
> > > [Prozess beendet]
>
> > > when executed. Sadly I can not open the .dylib format and so far as I
> > know
> > > it isn't possible.
>
> > > Could it be a compiling error. (The System is 64bit)
>
> > > Thank you for your fast reply.
> > > Robin

Simon Newton

Mar 1, 2012, 5:16:23 PM3/1/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Maschinist <robinatm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry my fault the file is as you said installed into
> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib and when I open is with file
> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib:
> it displays:

That's the problem then. The max plugin looks like it was linked
against an ola library in /usr/local/

You need to rebuilt it.

Simon

Daniel

Mar 2, 2012, 3:44:14 PM3/2/12
to open-lighting
I can rebuild it, but last time I tried to build OLA, I couldn't even
get that to work on OSX Lion/XCode 4 (see thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/open-lighting/browse_thread/thread/ef50bd169ecf0955/f3e0ef04604908d7?lnk=gst&q=daniel#f3e0ef04604908d7).
Is OLA able to build correctly in 10.7 with XCode 4 these days? If so,
i'll give it another go. Once I get it building correctly, i'll verify
that make install puts the correct architecture of libola (that works
with Max) in the right place.

Simon, do both the macports version and the tar version (ran with
mac_build.sh) install libola into into /opt/local/lib/ ? I'm curious
as to why I have one in my /usr... directory.

Thanks, D

On Mar 1, 2:16 pm, Simon Newton <nomi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Maschinist <robinatmachin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry my fault the file is as you said installed into
> > /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib and when I open is with file
> > /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib:
> > it displays:
>
> That's the problem then. The max plugin looks like it was linked
> against an ola library in /usr/local/
>
> You need to rebuilt it.
>
> Simon
>

> > /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared
> > library x86_64
>
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Robin
>
> > /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
> > Limor:~ Limor$ /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib ; exit;
>
> > -bash: /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib: cannot execute binary file
> > logout
>
> > On Thursday, 1 March 2012 10:58:06 UTC+1, Simon Newton wrote:

> >> You need to run
>
> >> `file /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib`
>
> >> (without the quotes)
>
> >> If you installed with macports there shouldn't be a
> >> /usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib . macports installs into /opt
>
> >> Simon

Simon Newton

Mar 2, 2012, 8:01:13 PM3/2/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Daniel <akno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can rebuild it, but last time I tried to build OLA, I couldn't even
> get that to work on OSX Lion/XCode 4 (see thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/open-lighting/browse_thread/thread/ef50bd169ecf0955/f3e0ef04604908d7?lnk=gst&q=daniel#f3e0ef04604908d7).
> Is OLA able to build correctly in 10.7 with XCode 4 these days? If so,
> i'll give it another go. Once I get it building correctly, i'll verify
> that make install puts the correct architecture of libola (that works
> with Max) in the right place.

I use 10.7.3 with XCode 4.2.1 and it works fine.

> Simon, do both the macports version and the tar version (ran with
> mac_build.sh) install libola into into /opt/local/lib/ ? I'm curious
> as to why I have one in my /usr... directory.

macports will install into /opt/local by default. mac_build.sh takes
the DEST_DIR as the first argument. If you build the usual way
(./configure, make, make install) ola will be installed into
/usr/local/

Simon

Daniel

Mar 3, 2012, 1:04:22 AM3/3/12
to open-lighting
Ok, that must have been why I got the /usr version. I think i'll try
the macports method as long as it gives me the 32 bit version (for
Max). Will it if i'm using the standard 'sudo port install ola' cmd
line, or will I need some flags?

Thx, D

On Mar 2, 6:01 pm, Simon Newton <nomi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Daniel <aknot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can rebuild it, but last time I tried to build OLA, I couldn't even
> > get that to work on OSX Lion/XCode 4 (see thread:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/open-lighting/browse_thread/thread/ef5...).

Simon Newton

Mar 3, 2012, 1:06:49 AM3/3/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Daniel <akno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, that must have been why I got the /usr version. I think i'll try
> the macports method as long as it gives me the 32 bit version (for
> Max). Will it if i'm using the standard 'sudo port install ola' cmd
> line, or will I need some flags?

Add +universal when installing ola.

Simon

Maschinist

Mar 4, 2012, 9:45:41 AM3/4/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel and Simon,

thank you for your response. Good to know. I thought in this direction and tried the Object in Max 5 on the same system with the same result. So the problem is not in the Max-Space at all, as you said. I figured out that the Object is looking for the libraries in the wrong place instate of d:/usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib the library is located under /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib when you installed OLA via MacPorts, as Simon mentioned. I thouged, I could fix this by myself, by changing this in the code for the object an recompile it via Xcodes. But it was harder then I expected, first I couldn't find the line of code responsible for loading the libraries and second I never tried to build my own Max-Objects before and so far just fooled around with Xcodes. So this is a new Path as well and I have some reading to do, with a lot of trial and error in between. :-) If you can help me with this, I would be happy to compile the code with the Max 6 SDK and run some test, maybe we can get a Max6 Version for the Object out of this :-). I will come back with questions in the next few days.

kind regards
robin

Simon Newton

Mar 4, 2012, 8:20:31 PM3/4/12
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Maschinist <robinatm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel and Simon,
>
> thank you for your response. Good to know. I thought in this direction and
> tried the Object in Max 5 on the same system with the same result. So the
> problem is not in the Max-Space at all, as you said. I figured out that the
> Object is looking for the libraries in the wrong place instate of
> d:/usr/local/lib/libola.1.dylib the library is located under

Um hang on, d:/ ? What are you running this on?

But yes, when this was built the preferred way to install OLA on a mac
was using a .dmg image that put the files in /usr/local. That has been
replaced by the macports system, which installs into /opt/local/. So
we need to update the Max plugin.

> /opt/local/lib/libola.1.dylib when you installed OLA via MacPorts, as Simon
> mentioned. I thouged, I could fix this by myself, by changing this in the
> code for the object an recompile it via Xcodes. But it was harder then I
> expected, first I couldn't find the line of code responsible for loading the
> libraries

The paths aren't in the source files so you don't need to edit
anything in the sources. Just rebuild and it will pick up the correct
path assuming your linker options are set correctly.

> and second I never tried to build my own Max-Objects before and so
> far just fooled around with Xcodes. So this is a new Path as well and I have
> some reading to do, with a lot of trial and error in between. :-) If you can
> help me with this, I would be happy to compile the code with the Max 6 SDK
> and run some test, maybe we can get a Max6 Version for the Object out of
> this :-). I will come back with questions in the next few days.

Daniel can provide you with instructions on how to build the plugin. I
can assist if you get any errors.

Simon

Daniel

Mar 5, 2012, 4:10:32 PM3/5/12
to open-lighting
I myself am having issues trying to get OlaOutput to build in XCode 4.
Once I do get it building in XCode 4, i'll commit the updated project
files, and will release another version of the external. I'll try to
spend a few hours this week to work on this. I would like to add build
instructions at some point, but free time is a minimum these days.
Thanks for your patience. - D