iscsi daemon in docker container

Serguei Bezverkhi (sbezverk)

Mar 8, 2016, 4:26:32 PM3/8/16
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As per Michael Christie suggestion, I am reaching out to a wider audience. I am trying to run iscsid inside of a Docker container but without using systemd. When I start iscsid -d 8 -f, it fails with "Cannot bind IPC socket". I would appreciate if somebody who managed to get it working, share his/her steps.

Thank you

Serguei

Ulrich Windl

Mar 9, 2016, 2:41:43 AM3/9/16
to open-iscsi
>>> "Serguei Bezverkhi (sbezverk)" <sbez...@cisco.com> schrieb am 08.03.2016 um
03:54 in Nachricht <bc52aa2052b94973...@XCH-ALN-006.cisco.com>:
What about stracing iscsid as a first step?

> Thank you
>
> Serguei

Chris Leech

Mar 9, 2016, 12:23:58 PM3/9/16
to open-...@googlegroups.com
You'll probably need to run it using dockers host mode networking, not
using a container specific network namespace. The iSCSI netlink control
code in the kernel is not network namespace aware, and can only be
accessed from the default/original network namespace (that's the IPC
socket). Not being able to use a new network namespace also means that
you can only run a single iscsid instance on the system.

I had the start of a kernel patch series to deal with this posted a
while back. I never finished the sysfs object filtering by network
namespace for iSCSI, particularly moving the flash node db sysfs code
from bus to class devices to allow for namespace filtering was still an
open issue.

- Chris

ayyan...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2017, 11:33:12 AM2/9/17
to open-iscsi, cle...@redhat.com
Hi Chris,

Do you any latest update on this?

Thanks.

The Lee-Man

Feb 8, 2023, 1:51:08 PM2/8/23
to open-iscsi
Hi:

I'm trying to update open-iscsi, using Chris' patches as a starting place, so that it's network namespace aware, and hence could work in a docker container.

I will soon (I hope) be testing it in a container. So far, it seems to work using "ip netns exec".

Please see the RFC for patches I posted.