/etc .startup = automatic settings don't appear to make iscsid automatically log in, what do they do?

james harvey

Jul 28, 2016, 5:50:54 AM7/28/16
to open-iscsi
Am I doing something wrong to get iscsid to automatically login to certain nodes, or am I not understanding what the .startup = automatic settings do?

I was about to post about having trouble getting automatic login to work, but on the mailing list archives, I see some systemd services that run logins.

Now I'm confused.

I spammed automatic everywhere, thinking that would make iscsid automatically log into them.

iscsid.conf:node.startup = automatic
nodes/iqn.XXX/IP,port,1/defualt:node.startup = automatic
nodes/iqn.XXX/IP,port,1/defualt:node.conn[0].startup = automatic
send_targets/IP,port/st_config:discovery.startup = automatic

Should these be left as manual, and run a systemd service that uses iscsiadm to login instead?

darl...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2016, 12:58:08 PM7/28/16
to open-iscsi
Arch.  Kernel 4.6.4.  open-iscsi 2.0_873.

Oh boy, that might be my problem right there for one or both of my posts.  Is the latest open-iscsi release really from 2012?

Are there plans to tag another release, or is it just planned to continue git comits without tagging releases?

Chris Leech

Jul 28, 2016, 1:03:18 PM7/28/16
to open-...@googlegroups.com
The node.startup setting is handled by iscsiadm and not iscsid, and the
automatic setting just gives an easy filter (log into all vs log into
automatic) to use.

There should be an service that makes use of that, but I haven't looked
at what Arch ships. We should make an effort to standardize systemd
units across distros as much as possible, but Arch is also shipping old
open-iscsi tools (due to the lack of releases).

- Chris

Chris Leech

Jul 28, 2016, 1:03:59 PM7/28/16
to open-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 03:00:28AM -0700, darl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Arch. Kernel 4.6.4. open-iscsi 2.0_873.
>
> Oh boy, that might be my problem right there for one or both of my posts.
> Is the latest open-iscsi release really from 2012?
>
> Are there plans to tag another release, or is it just planned to continue
> git comits without tagging releases?

We/I should get back to tagging releases.

Thanks.

james harvey

Jul 28, 2016, 6:05:37 PM7/28/16
to open-iscsi, cle...@redhat.com

Thanks for clarification on which uses node.startup.

Arch's service just has "ExecStart=/sbin/iscsid", not even an ExecStop, and nothing for iscsiadm.

If a release gets tagged, if you'd like, I'd be happy to handle getting it and standardized systemd units into Arch's packaging.

It would help if the standardized systemd services were all in the git repo.  I see an iscsid.service is in there, but not the other service files discussed previous on the mailing list.