Open App Store - good idea or not?

Andrew Moist

Mar 20, 2012, 7:47:38 PM3/20/12
to open-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've just set-up the site http://open-app-store.org. Please take a look.

I first thought about doing an app store for the Raspberry Pi, but realised that there is no reason why it should just exist on one OS/device. That's why I've kept the project name very broad since the project has a lot of scope.

I think there's a few reasons why the RaspberryPi might benefit in particular for an app store:
  1. Currently discovering apps on Linux means using the package management system or "software centre". It's great if you know what you are looking for, but not so good for browsing and discovering stuff.
  2. If the RPi is to appeal to kids, there needs to be lots of interesting accessible content and apps.
  3. Cracking open the source code for anything you find using the package management system is pretty damm difficult. Ideally it should be as simple as "View source" is on a webpage. The easier the code is to hack, the more likely people will do it.
  4. If we want teachers in schools to get involved, they need to a) get access to good learning resources and b) participate and give back what they learn to help others.
Perhaps one of the more contentious points about this app store will be what programming languages will be supported. I'm going to focus on HTML & JavaScript apps since it's the most well-known cross-platform programming platform. For those that want to do more out-side the browser, I will support Node.js apps that can interact with the hardware.

I know the "official" educational language is python, so if anyone wants to help, I'd more happy to discuss how it could be supported in an app store.

What's your thoughts on this project?

Andrew

Andrew Moist

Mar 22, 2012, 5:06:39 AM3/22/12
to open-ap...@googlegroups.com
I've also posted about this on the Raspberry Pi forums:

Andrew

co...@colinmccarthy.co.uk

Mar 23, 2012, 4:02:13 AM3/23/12
to open-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew

I think this is a great idea.  I know Ubuntu are working towards turning their Ubuntu Software Centre into a more Apple like App Store.
A store that exists to cover all OS/Devices would be a good addition to the FLOSS choice we have.

Colin

Andrew Moist

Mar 25, 2012, 7:19:11 PM3/25/12
to open-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the tip about Ubuntu. They are definitely making good progress and it seems to be the best software installer available for a linux distribution. It's a shame that Ubuntu don't have any plans to support the Raspberry Pi.

After doing a bit more research I've learnt a few important points:
  1. Mozilla is working on their own cross-platform, cross-device HTML5 based app store.
  2. Trying to support native apps on various OS/devices in the same app store has many problems. Obviously binaries are not cross-platform compatible so that means all users don't get the same apps that are available in the app store.
  3. I'm not so sure an app store is necessarily the highest priority for the Raspberry Pi right now. A good online magazine/resources site would be the first step.
I don't want to compete directly with what Mozilla are doing. However, I can see that having an open-source app store would be worthwhile. Maybe Mozilla will be making it open source?

Obviously the main drawbacks (and perhaps advantages) of HTML5 apps is that you are locked into the browser. I'm not so sure I want to get into the messy business of installing native apps, especially on multiple OS's. I can see it would be very valuable getting all of the linux distributions uniting and moving in the same direction - unfortunately it's just a very slow process.

I think it's an interesting idea for installing native apps via a common web interface. Could that work?

If I see what's left with my original idea, it's the Node.js aspect of it that seems to stick right now. There isn't an easy way to find open source Node.js apps. It would be useful for Node.js developers to be able to find good examples they can learn by. I think it's a good starting point that could grow into something more.

Andrew