Comparison two simulated algorithms in different simulators, please help me

daniel

Jul 25, 2014, 11:30:37 AM7/25/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
hi all
i have a problem, i want to compare my algorithm with other algorithm, but there are very few works that are similar to my work and their simulator is omnet. can i compare my algorithm with other algorithm that is simulated in NS2 ? (two algorithms in the different simulator and with the same parameters . )
this comparison is valid? comparison results are correct?
please guide me, thanks a lot.

Ivo Calado

Jul 25, 2014, 7:23:11 PM7/25/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,
   in theory both simulators should present a nearly result for the same set of parameters, since they should modeling the same environment in a similar manner. Nevertheless, IMHO I prefer always to use the same simulator to compare two approaches since there are so many variables involved that could impact in results. For instance, lets suppose that you want to compare two routing protocols for wireless networks. Any difference in the behaviour of the physical layer will impact in the evaluation of the routing protocols, turning your experiment biased.

In short, as a rule of thumb, in my experiment, I always consider the same environment.

Best regards,
    Ivo

Ivo Calado

Putt's Law:
       Technology is dominated by two types of people:
               Those who understand what they do not manage.
               Those who manage what they do not understand.

Danial masoomi

Jul 25, 2014, 8:15:17 PM7/25/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
thanks a lot. yes, you are right, but my problem is that more similar works with my algorithm has been simulated with the NS2. That's why I'm a little confused.
Mr. Alfonso told me:
"In this case, you need to validate the results with a known algorithm in both simulators and extract the tendency, you can’t compare the exact results."
thanks Ivo. thank you very much
thanks dear alfonso.