Packet format when extending existing simulation with INET ("cannot cast ... to type "EtherTraffic")

Thomas Weiß

Jul 28, 2014, 11:45:33 AM7/28/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I started implementing an HPC simulation in OMNeT++.
In a first step I modelled a submitter that sends jobs (messages) to a scheduler which passes them to compute nodes. These simulate computation and track metrics like CPU load, utilization, queue length etc.
Everything was connected via gates and there was no networking delay assumed.

Now I wanted to start implementing the network part with INET as I want to test different topologies, use switches, collect inbuilt statistics etc. without reinventing the wheel.
The nodes now extend StandardHost and communicate via channels between the ethg interfaces.
Using "packet" instead of "message" to describe the payload was not enough though.

Unfortunately I didn't find any tutorials on how to model the application layer and sending my own packet format over the network (without paying too much attention to all the low-level stuff).
Right now the submodule EtherMACFullDuplex complains about "check_and_cast(): cannot cast (Job *)SimpleNetwork.nodes[0].eth[0].mac.process1_0 to type 'EtherTraffic *'".
The tcpApp as configured in the examples only send synthetical traffic if I got that right. But I want to use my own payload because my computations depend on it of course.
I saw there is a encapsulate()/decapsulate() method in cPacket. Maybe that is part of the solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Weiß

Jul 30, 2014, 8:15:18 AM7/30/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
No ideas/tutorials/tipps on this one? It's quite urgent because I need it as part of my bachelor thesis.

I had a look at TCPBasicClientApp/TCPGenericSrvApp and saw there's a configuration option "dataTransferMode" but I didn't find out how to really modify the payload.
Generating random synthetic traffic is not enough for me as I mentioned above.
Copy&paste of TCPBasicClientApp and changing the part where GenericAppMsg is sent out also doesn't seem to be a good solution.

Best regards,

Thomas

Gustavo Troiano

Apr 8, 2016, 7:13:31 PM4/8/16
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi Thomas.

I have the same question as you. I am implementing a wi-mesh interacting with a power network (OpenDSS) and the data received from the electrical system must be encapsulated in a TCP packet.

Have you found a reasonable way to do that?

Thanks
Gustavo