Conceptual model of Omeka tables

mdworak

Feb 1, 2012, 10:51:50 AM2/1/12
to Omeka Dev
Hi, all. My colleague and I are beginners when it comes to programming
languages and databases, and we're working a project that will display
metadata on small press serials publications. (The prototype we built
for our Database Systems class is here: http://dynamic.slis.uiowa.edu/mdworak/lmdb/.)
We're trying to see if we can create something similar through Omeka
(which already has the Dublin Core standards we want to use) or
Wordpress (which is a simpler system for us n00bs).

Part of our class was about the conceptual models that lay the
groundwork for our prototype, and I was wondering if Omeka has any
diagrams drawn up about how its database entities relate to one
another. I am able to see Omeka tables in PHPMyAdmin but am still new
to that tool, as well, and I haven't been able to use the diagram view
well.

The big dream is to develop a tabular data display plugin (see
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/database-plugin-for-wordpress for
the forum where we found a WP plugin and http://www.ecologicalevolution.org/publications/
for how the plugin displays). Seeing a conceptual model will help us
get a grasp on how the database works.

I look forward to hearing from one of you! I'm very optimistic about
what Omeka can do.

Best,
Melody

Jim Safley

Feb 1, 2012, 11:20:47 AM2/1/12
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Melody,

Here's an informal database diagram I whipped up several months ago:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/11nwcsuTu56NY7tbrVK4XQMUUcQzbn-7avSpeA1fUBh0/edit

It doesn't follow the layout of a typical ERD, but it does give a
general overview of the Omeka database. The arrows represent the
relationships between the tables: one --has--> many

Jim

mdworak

Feb 2, 2012, 8:09:06 PM2/2/12
to Omeka Dev
Thank you so much! I'll have to spend some time studying it over, but
this helps a great deal.

Best,
Melody