Cell Providers

patrick

Oct 2, 2012, 7:19:36 PM10/2/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Is any one here familiar with the cell provider ting.com? I can't decide which I should go with Ting Republic wireless or virgin mobile. Any input is appreciated.

Dan Linder

Oct 2, 2012, 8:02:06 PM10/2/12
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM, patrick <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is any one here familiar with the cell provider ting.com? I can't decide which I should go with Ting Republic wireless or virgin mobile. Any input is appreciated.

When our contract with Verizon finally expires I'm going to look at Ting very closely, probably moving to them.  Their flexible plans and open tethering option are two big drivers for me.  Their data plans aren't the cheapest (1GB for $24, 3GB for $60), but again it's shared among the phones and tethering is allowed.

Plus their flexible plan feature - they will automatically go up and down as you use them - really entice me.

The only drawback is that the phones aren't subsidized so there is a big of a hit initially.  (But Ting is a Sprint MVNO so BYOD is coming...soon: https://ting.com/blog/byod-coming-soon-to-ting/)

Dan

--
***************** ************* *********** ******* ***** *** **
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Sam Flint

Oct 2, 2012, 9:44:57 PM10/2/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I know someone who was in the trial, he said he liked it.

Sam
--
Sam Flint
flintfam.org/~swflint

Tyler Swain

Oct 3, 2012, 9:16:41 AM10/3/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I use Virgin Mobile, and have been very happy with the service, and find the plans very reasonable.  I currently pay $35 a month for unlimited data, messages and 300 minutes.  Their network isn’t very large though, even though I believe they use Sprint’s network.  Often when I am traveling I find large areas where I receive no service, like the entire state of South Dakota.

Rob Townley

Oct 4, 2012, 11:49:57 AM10/4/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
i wonder if you can still buy accident/theft insurance with a BYOD.

Our Motorola DroidX2s have lasted 15 months and show no real signs of
wear. All of our previous smartphones would only last 6 months before
breaking. That makes buying the device upfront easier to swallow.

Kevin Fusselman

Oct 4, 2012, 11:53:58 AM10/4/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I know that NFM et al sell their own hardware insurance/warranty on phones bought from them, independent of the coverage available through the carrier...

Rick Rubio

Oct 4, 2012, 12:17:45 PM10/4/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Square Trade. The cover accidents (including toilet drops!), but I don't think they cover theft.

Sent from my iPhone

David Knaack

Oct 4, 2012, 12:24:25 PM10/4/12
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Me too. Had a couple of ereaders with squaretrade coverage. Broke one of them and had no trouble at all getting a replacement. Definitely worth it in that case