The 7Cs of Learning Design

Grainne Conole

Jan 15, 2013, 6:57:27 AM1/15/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Use this discussion thread to post your thoughts on the 7Cs of Learning Design framework introduced in the presentation. What are your views on this? How does it compare to Instructional Design? How do you think you might use the framework in your design practice?

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Jan 16, 2013, 3:06:08 PM1/16/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know (or at least didn't remember the 7Cs) so I had to look it up: http://www2.le.ac.uk/projects/oer/oers/beyond-distance-research-alliance/7Cs-toolkit

I can't say I have an opinion yet - I have some homework to do on the matter :-)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Grainne Conole

Jan 19, 2013, 8:14:56 AM1/19/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Take a look at the Slidecaste on the 7Cs of Learning Design that should give you a better idea of what it is about!

Ebba Ossiannilsson

Jan 25, 2013, 1:36:53 PM1/25/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I found the 7Cs Slideshare presentation by Grainne Conole very useful and whish I could use this kind of reflctions from now on when designin learning activities

The very best since long time! Excelllent tool as such

Jane Nkosi

Jan 26, 2013, 3:56:51 AM1/26/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
This presentation on the 7Cs seems to piece together everything that has gone on in weeks one and two. I'm now everything fits in in learning design. I will review my course features in the light of this presentation. Thanks Graine.

Regards
Jane

Grainne Conole

Jan 26, 2013, 6:42:21 AM1/26/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Great so glad you found it useful. I am really pleased with the framework - I feel it provides a useful conceptual overview of the different aspects of design.

Grainne

Grainne Conole

Jan 26, 2013, 6:43:01 AM1/26/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant! Glad it makes sense Jane!

Grainne

Ida Brandão

Jan 27, 2013, 6:46:07 AM1/27/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Grainne,

I found your slideshare useful. I think that some of the approaches can be mingled, i.e. when I think of a constructivist approach, I think as well of situated learning and collaborative learning, or e-assessment as formative, peer feedback, eportfolio, reflective.

I think that Bandura's self-efficacy is also achieved when people are in an online learning and get the satisfaction and gain the confidence to work on something new and are successful in the learning outcomes - http://youtu.be/wrzzbaomLmc

Your storyboard organizer gave me the idea to adopt it to my project. I'm going to use Glogster.

Ida

Sheila MacNeill

Jan 27, 2013, 9:28:51 AM1/27/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grainne

The presentation and the 7Cs are really useful, in as you say, "puling everything together". I agree that making elements of the design process explicit is very useful, but I also think this is a huge challenge as implicitly a lot of practitioners/teachers will almost naturally multitask and work at several levels at a time. Again I think this is one of the reasons the card approaches exemplified by OULDI and Viewpoints work so well. They break things down and help the create explicit discussions.

From last week the "C" that has been on my mind is "context" which is perhaps more implicit in the 7C's approach. I've been thinking quite a bit of the learning environment/learner context in relation to Cloudworks ( see http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/sheilamacneill/2013/01/18/oldmooc-week-2-context-and-personal-learning-spaces/ and http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/sheilamacneill/2013/01/14/cloud-gazing-maps-and-networks-some-thoughts-on-oldsmooc-so-far/) and MOOCs, particularly this kind of cMOOC or p(project) MOOC. When designing for this type of course, I think that there needs to be more of an emphasis on the learners environment and the design choices for delivery of activities. How can we as designers ensure that there is continuity (another C) for the learning in terms of their comfort and confidence in interacting with a range of online spaces? I don't have any answers but I do think that the community/sharing elements of cloudworks could be really powerful in helping learners contextualise their learning and importantly their learning community.

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Jan 27, 2013, 12:44:38 PM1/27/13
to Sheila MacNeill, olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
The notion of explicitness, and educations doing certain things automatically, is quite interesting. It reminds me of the bootcamp course in instructional design that every instructional design students need to take at my institution. The model they use is the Dick and Carey model which is much more detailed than other models (especially the more "common" ADDIE).  Students in the program take Dick and Carey as "cannon" and try to use every single step explicitly  even when they are proficient designers, and this draws a lot of criticism (among students) in the model.  What they often miss is that Dick and Carey is more of a pedagogical model (or "my first ID model" if you will) that trains instructional designers on everything they should be looking for and examining. If they choose to use every step explicitly afterwards that is OK, but not necessary.  Then again, reading this commend also reminded me of my days as a computer scientist and the value of good comments in code.

Sure, you can write code without comments, but what if you need to hand your work to someone else to complete or maintain? Comments are invaluable then (heck, even if you come back years later to your code it's invaluable because we don't always remember our rationale for why we did what we did).  This is why I also think being detailed and explicit is a good thing ;-)

2013/1/27 Sheila MacNeill <s.mac...@strath.ac.uk>
Hi Grainne

The presentation and the 7Cs are really useful, in as you say, "puling everything together".  I agree that making elements of the design process explicit is very useful, but I also think this is a huge challenge as implicitly a lot of practitioners/teachers will almost naturally multitask and work at several levels at a time. Again I think this is one of the reasons the card approaches exemplified by OULDI and Viewpoints work so well. They break things down and help the create explicit discussions.

From last week the "C" that has been on my mind is "context"  which is perhaps more implicit in the 7C's approach. I've been thinking quite a bit of the learning environment/learner context in relation to Cloudworks ( see  http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/sheilamacneill/2013/01/18/oldmooc-week-2-context-and-personal-learning-spaces/ and http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/sheilamacneill/2013/01/14/cloud-gazing-maps-and-networks-some-thoughts-on-oldsmooc-so-far/) and MOOCs, particularly this kind of cMOOC or p(project) MOOC. When designing for this type of course, I think that there needs to be more of an emphasis on the learners environment and the design choices for delivery of activities. How can we as designers ensure that there is continuity (another C) for the learning in terms of their comfort and confidence in interacting with a range of online spaces?  I don't have any answers but I do think that the community/sharing elements of cloudworks could be really powerful in helping learners contextualise their learning and importantly their learning community.

Club Admiralty
Copyright 1996-2012
http://www.club-admiralty.com

Clare Gormley

Jan 27, 2013, 12:59:56 PM1/27/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grainne,

I think the the ‘7Cs of Learning Design’ framework will be very helpful in providing a set of guiding principles for approaching the overall learning design process. And I agree with the comments from Sheila and Apostolos that being explicit with design (which I read as being clear and open) can only be a good thing.

Re the 7Cs, I particularly like the emphasis on the “Conceptualise” phase for developing an overall vision of a course. To me, that is something which seems to differ from my experience of instructional design approaches which in practice, often tend to focus on what happens after the vision has been worked out (or not!).

By lucky coincidence, a colleague and I are currently planning a face-to-face workshop with a project team where the Course Features/Cards approach might be just what we need to kick things off. Two modules are being completely revamped for online delivery and to my mind, the two activities outlined should be very helpful in teasing out & prioritising the underpinning learning philosophy so that an overall vision for each module can be discussed and agreed. The prompts that the cards provide on principles, pedagogy, guidance & support, content & activities, reflection & demonstration, and communication & collaboration will hopefully help to focus our minds on the key aspects of each module right from the start.

Will let you know how it works out!

Thanks,
Clare

Grainne Conole

Jan 27, 2013, 1:16:00 PM1/27/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I agree the conceptualise phase is really important in terms of articulating what and why you are designing and for whom

Grainne

Kelly Edmonds

Jan 27, 2013, 7:38:49 PM1/27/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Wow, nice resource with so many samples and tools. It helped me rediscover the usefulness of audio and podcasts, and when/how to use them.

I really like order of the 7Cs and the layers of each. I mentioned before the Grainne that under capture we could also capture samples of work, say from former students, to model concepts. Modelling is a great way of learning.

Kelly Edmonds

Jan 27, 2013, 7:42:54 PM1/27/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Sheila, I have to agree with you about context. i have the challenge of designing and developing virtual learning for a large healthcare staff who are so busy and rushed. They mostly carry mobile phones and have access to the internet (between patient care) - designing learning for them will be quite helpful using the Ecology of Resources model. So glad I discovered that! Now to work through it.