Seth J Murray Esq, Lt in 12th/47th OVI?

Matthew Bowdish

Feb 23, 2011, 1:41:46 AM2/23/11
to Ohio in the Civil War
Hello-

I am trying to figure out whether my great(x3)-grandfather Seth J
Murray Esq of Georgetown, Ohio served in the Civil War or not. From
the Ohio Historical Society. I acquired several letters from Murray
and others in Brown County dated 1861-1862.

The first two are as follows:
"Georgetown, Brown County, Ohio
Gov Dennison July 28th, 1861
Sir, I would like to have an
order to raise a volunteer company of infantry for
immediate service. I am of the opinion that a
good company can be raised in Brown County
and will make the effort if I can have the proper
assurances that a company will be promptly
received when organized. You will receive this
through the poletrus of my friend Capt T Taylor
who I refer you to for such information as you
may define relative to my self. If you think
proper to issue to give the order to raise said comp
any, I also would request that you at the time
you send me the order and such instructions
as may be necessary for one to have to place the comp
any on a said basis
I am forever respectful,
Yours,
S.J. Murray"

"Georgetown Ohio
Oct 28th 1861

Dear Sir
Capt Taylors Company Col Posching
47th Regt has been reduced by a transfer of his
men until it now numbers only 46 men, The
Company is officered only with a Capt and 2nd
Lieut – the Capt is very anxious to have his comp
any filled up to the minimum number for a
company and for that proposes the 1st Lieuten
antcy was kept vacant as an inducement of
men to fill up the Co – The bearer Seth J Murray Esq
proposes to raise the requisite number of
men provided he can be commissioned
as 1st Lieut of said company, If consistent
with the rules of your appointment I would
recommend that his request be
granted.
Respectively Yours,
C.A.White, M.C.

To: C P Buckingham
Adj Genrl"

In one letter from his wife Margaret Murray dated 3-Dec-1861 to the
Adjuvant General of Ohio she wrote:
"Georgetown Dec 3rd 1861
To the Adjuvant General Oh
Sir yours of the 27 is received
I hasten to reply. Lieutenant
Murray has gone into service – he is
in the 12th regiment – Company – Thomas
T Taylor, Captain. He left with
his recruits some ten days ago.
Yours respectively,
Margaret Murray"

I have not been locate Seth Murray in any muster roles online for the
12th OVI or the 47th OVI, nor in any online pension databases. Any
help on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Matthew Bowdish
matthew...@gmail.com

Kenneth Kepf

Feb 23, 2011, 9:44:20 PM2/23/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
It has been my experience that not every soldier mustered into service will necessarily be listed in the Roster of Ohio Soldiers--therefore not 100% accurate.  Many were omitted even though they are on the "Regiment's descriptive Rolls" from the National Archives.  My suggestion would be for you to submit an application for military & pension records from the National Archives for the 12th and 47th OVI.  If not successful, doubtful he served at all.  Of course there were 2 rosters, one for the 3 months service and those serving for the longer service.  There were many lawyers and others of influence that were opportunistic during the war to raise companies and be commanding officers that never were successful and if served may have been ordinary enlisted for which he might have opposed to serve as.  Your grandfather (x3) would have been more successful in addressing the Ohio Adjutant's General Office rather than the busy Governor who no doubt received many letters from others to raise companies.  Your best bet is to submit request from the N.A. and if you come up empty then he very likely did not serve.

Regards,
Ken

Martin Stewart

Feb 23, 2011, 9:53:18 PM2/23/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
If your GGG Grandfather was alive in 1890, check the Veteran's census for
the County he lived in. That is an easy check to start with.

Martin

Hello-

Lieut - the Capt is very anxious to have his comp

any filled up to the minimum number for a
company and for that proposes the 1st Lieuten
antcy was kept vacant as an inducement of

men to fill up the Co - The bearer Seth J Murray Esq

proposes to raise the requisite number of
men provided he can be commissioned
as 1st Lieut of said company, If consistent
with the rules of your appointment I would
recommend that his request be
granted.
Respectively Yours,
C.A.White, M.C.

To: C P Buckingham
Adj Genrl"

-------

In one letter from his wife Margaret Murray dated 3-Dec-1861 to the
Adjuvant General of Ohio she wrote:
"Georgetown Dec 3rd 1861
To the Adjuvant General Oh
Sir yours of the 27 is received
I hasten to reply. Lieutenant

Murray has gone into service - he is
in the 12th regiment - Company - Thomas

Richard Lemmers

Feb 24, 2011, 8:33:02 AM2/24/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
I just did a quick check at www.footnote.com and found a Civil War soldier's pension record card for a John M. Murray, Company F, 12th Ohio Infantry.  Is it possible your soldier went by the name John instead of Seth when he served, since his middle initial was J.?

Matthew Bowdish

Feb 24, 2011, 10:20:22 AM2/24/11
to Ohio in the Civil War
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate your help.

MSB

On Feb 24, 6:33 am, Richard Lemmers <gtnps.ranger_1...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I just did a quick check atwww.footnote.comand found a Civil War soldier's pension record card for a John M. Murray, Company F, 12th Ohio Infantry.  Is it possible your soldier went by the name John instead of Seth when he served, since his middle initial was J.?
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­--------
>
> "Georgetown Ohio
>
> Oct 28th 1861
>
> Dear Sir
>
> Capt Taylors Company Col Posching
>
> 47th Regt has been reduced by a transfer of his
>
> men until it now numbers only 46 men, The
>
> Company is officered only with a Capt and 2nd
>
> Lieut ­ the Capt is very anxious to have his comp
>
> any filled up to the minimum number for a
>
> company and for that proposes the 1st Lieuten
>
> antcy was kept vacant as an inducement of
>
> men to fill up the Co ­ The bearer Seth J Murray Esq
>
> proposes to raise the requisite number of
>
> men provided he can be commissioned
>
> as 1st Lieut of said company, If consistent
>
> with the rules of your appointment  I would
>
> recommend that his request be
>
> granted.
>
> Respectively Yours,
>
> C.A.White, M.C.
>
> To: C P Buckingham
>
> Adj Genrl"
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­--------
>
> In one letter from his wife Margaret Murray dated 3-Dec-1861 to the
>
> Adjuvant General of Ohio she wrote:
>
> "Georgetown Dec 3rd 1861
>
> To the Adjuvant General Oh
>
> Sir yours of the 27 is received
>
> I hasten to reply. Lieutenant
>
> Murray has gone into service ­ he is
>
> in the 12th regiment ­ Company ­ Thomas
>
> T Taylor, Captain.  He left with
>
> his recruits some ten days ago.
>
> Yours respectively,
>
> Margaret Murray"
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------
>
> I have not been locate Seth Murray in any muster roles online for
> the
>
> 12th OVI or the 47th OVI, nor in any online pension databases.
> Any
>
> help on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Matthew Bowdish
>
> matthewsbowd...@gmail.com

Matthew Bowdish

Feb 25, 2011, 12:06:17 PM2/25/11
to Ohio in the Civil War
Kenneth- I had made a request to the National Arcives previously but
did not have the letters and thus did not give them the regimental
numbers. I just placed another request yesterday.

Martin- I did look in the 1890 veterans schedule as per your
recommendation. I did not find Seth J Murray's name in there for
Brown County, OH or anywhere else via a global search. The tough part
is also that I do not know when/where he died. His wife moved to Los
Angeles, CA in 1889-1890 to live with her daughter and son in law. I
assume that Seth died before that. I last find him in the 1880 census
as a boarder in Georgetown, Ohio. So, I think he probably would not
be in the 1890 vet schedule because he likely died just around that
time.

Richard- I went back to footnote and found the record you mentioned.
In the 1880 census, Seth J Murray is listed as John Murry but I have
no reason to suspect that he usually went by "John" since much of his
legal work is done under Seth J Murray or S.J. Murray. I always
assume the 1880 census taker didn't hear "seth" quite right and just
wrote down his middle name. I did not see the same John M Murray in
the 1890 census schedule, so I guess it's possible.

Again, thanks for much for the suggestions. I suspect that if Seth J
Murray did raise a company and deliver it to the 12th or 47th OVI then
he might not have stayed with the company, especially since the dates
of the letters do not seem to correspond with when the 12th OVI was
trained and deployed. Interestingly, I did find Seth's son James A
Murray Esq listed as a private in Co F, 47th OVI under Capt. Thomas T
Taylor...But no Seth.

One last question. If someone had raised a company and delivered them
to training, and then became sick (the whole family did have TB) and
was discharged because of illness, would there be a record of this
somewhere? Again, may be the National Archives will be helpful.

Thanks again for all of your assistance. I really appreciate your
suggestions.

Best,

MSB

Martin Stewart

Feb 25, 2011, 6:48:35 PM2/25/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
Looking at Ancestry.com for Seth Murray:

Seth P Murray 143th Indiana Company G Sergeant Mustered out in Nashville
1865

Seth W Murray 129th Indiana Company I Private died June 29th 1864 in
Georgia

On Rootsweb found the below on Seth J. Murray - apparently he was a lawyer
and married in Highland County, Ohio in 1847. Being a professional would be
line with attempting to raise a regiment.

Note the unusual children's names. May help in your search.

1850 census shows them in Highland County and Seth born in New York about
1822 - wife and children born Ohio

1860 in Brown County listed as SJ Murry - 5 children

Guess you know most of this.

.ID: I2160
.Name: Seth J. MURRAY
.Surname: Murray
.Given Name: Seth J.
.Sex: M
.Birth: ABT 1822
.Death: UNKNOWN
._UID: 48F37198F6800F4DB894F08746020DA4D2E1
.Occupation: Lawyer
.Change Date: 5 Jul 2005 at 01:00:00

Marriage 1 Margaret Ann MCCLINTICK b: ABT 1825
.Married: 1 Jun 1847 1
.Event: Official in Sam'l Steele, Minister, New Market Presbyterian Chruch
Children
1. Luella MURRAY b: ABT 1848
2. Columbia MURRAY b: ABT 1850

Sources:
1.Title: Marriage Records of Highland County, Ohio 1805 - 1880
Author: David N. Jane N. McBride
Publication: Copyright 1962
Note:
Source Media Type: Book

Feb 27, 2011, 9:03:01 AM2/27/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
Hi Again,
I still believe the N.A. as your best bet but include the regiment.  I don't under rate your desire to know.  I know the blank walls of frustration encountered.  My only last ditch effort until N.A. contacts you is to check with your local library of historical society to see if any Georgetown newspapers during the Civil War preserved on Microfilm which may require inter-library loan.  There may be announcements in the paper for recruits for "xx" regiment.  If he had TB prior to enlistment he would not have been medically approved.  However many men did acquire TB while in service and would be on any Pension record from the N.A.  Or you may have to search after the war for any "obits" between the census years.  Hope this helps.  My mother's parents had TB in the 1930's so she and siblings went to an orphanage.  That was rough.  "Consumption" was the kiss of death unfortunately.  In the old days many went to California to heal--even after the war.
Regards,
Ken