OERu (acronym definition= University or Universitas)

virtualMV

Sep 6, 2014, 9:50:08 PM9/6/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Was just trying to find the full expansion of the acronym OERu for a research paper, and realise it is actually very difficult to find ! (The web site pointed to in this discussion group is http://OERuniversitas.org/ ) however it links to  http://oeru.org/ ). I have been calling it OER university for ages.

On the OERu site http://OERuniversitas.org/  I am unable to find any expansion on any of the pages, and this is the case for http://wikieducator.org/OERu/Home

Surprisingly the only clue I had was on  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OER_University (which redirects to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OER_Universitas )

As this seems to be common in many places it would be good to have at least one expansion on the official sites!!

Not a biggy but something that would be useful for others referring to the collective

Regards

:: Associate Professor, School of Computing

Eastern Institute of Technology,

 Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

Jim Tittsler

Sep 6, 2014, 10:20:13 PM9/6/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM, virtualMV <mver...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Was just trying to find the full expansion of the acronym OERu for a
> research paper, and realise it is actually very difficult to find ! (The web
> site pointed to in this discussion group is http://OERuniversitas.org/ )
> however it links to http://oeru.org/ ). I have been calling it OER
> university for ages.

There is a bit of an an explanation in the FAQ 'Why does the OERu use
the lower case "u"?'
http://oeru.org/organisation-faqs/

http://oeru.org/news/the-oer-university-becomes-oer-universitas/

Niki Davis

Sep 7, 2014, 2:21:41 AM9/7/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hello and kia ora everyone

Very important that OERu (acronym definition= University or Universitas)
Is not University but Universitas, due to a New Zealand law. Wayne will explain in depth if that is needed.

Simply by the way, I find the OERu with the small u splits the intonation to fit with the meaning nicely, whereas OERU could change the intonation. It is also more memorable.

Best wishes
Niki

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.

Joyce.M...@esc.edu

Sep 7, 2014, 7:06:46 PM9/7/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
I understand the problem with the word "university"...it is a problem not only in New Zealand but many other places as well (including the US).  I, too, like the OERu  it is visually interesting and communicates the idea.  Joyce McKnight, Empire State College US

Sep 7, 2014, 8:42:19 PM9/7/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Since our inception and discussions at the very first meeting when the concept of the OERu was tabled in February 2011, we have used lowercase "u" referencing the original etymology of "universitas magistrorum et scholarium".  This invokes a broader definition of the cooperation of a community of scholars sharing information freely, rather than denoting the title of a formal teaching institution.

In December 2013, the Board of Directors of the OER Foundation, in consultation with the OERu Council of Chief Executive Officers took a decision to change the name to OER universitas retaining the OERu acronym to better reflect the growth of the OERu family with the inclusion of non-teaching institutions (national and provisional) joining the network and to avoid ambiguity or misinterpretation with the use of lower case "university".

Jim has already posted a copy to the official announcement on 18 December 2013.

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
UNESCO, COL and ICDE Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic & OER Foundation
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: Mackiwg

virtualMV

Sep 7, 2014, 9:16:37 PM9/7/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I seem to have confused the issue a little. My real concern was that the expansion "Open Education Resources - Universitas" is not easily found on any of the web sites !(e.g. is nowhere to be found on the http://oeru.org/ home page.)

Apologies for the confusion, and hope this clarifies.

Michael

Wayne Mackintosh

Sep 7, 2014, 9:34:46 PM9/7/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

... and that is intentional - "OERu" is the public "brand".  There is a FAQ on the OERu site explaining why OERu uses lowercase "u".

The detailed history and open planning of the OERu is documented on the planning portal in WikEducator. Here we keep keep public records of all our meetings, implementation activities etc.

Thanks for asking :-)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.