Any OERu partners who have installed and trialled open edX?

Wayne Mackintosh

Dec 11, 2014, 4:37:41 AM12/11/14
to OERu planning, oe...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We're keen to explore an OERu course prototype using the Open edX platform as one of our "demonstrator" pilot projects exploring the interface between course content authored in WikiEducator and a variety of delivery platforms.

Have any OERu partners installed and run their own open online courses using a local instance of Open edX?

Let us know - we don't want to reinvent any wheels here and would like to share any relevant experiences.

Cheers

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
UNESCO, COL and ICDE Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic & OER Foundation
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: Mackiwg

Brian Mulligan

Dec 11, 2014, 8:25:00 AM12/11/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com, oe...@lists.oerfoundation.org, oe...@googlegroups.com
This would be too much of a challenge for a small organisation like ours, but we do have a high expectation of using mooc.org - I would be interested to see if anyone else has intentions on using that.

Brian

Wayne Mackintosh

Dec 11, 2014, 8:29:20 PM12/11/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com, OERu planning
Hi Brian,

I suspect that there are a few OERu partners who would be interested in using hosted services like mooc.org (or other providers) for hosting MOOCs using the Open edX platform.  For instance, one of our partners are working with EdCast (the Stanford StartX backed company) for hosting their MOOCs and another partner has a dedicated internal project exploring the Open edX platform.

Similarly, a number of partners are also keen to explore the use of Wordpress as an optional course delivery environment.

From the OER Foundation perspective we would like to promote solutions for learning pathways developed in WikiEducator to be easily integrated for reuse in these delivery platforms, but also to generate themable website snapshots which can also be integrated into the local LMS for offer to full-fee students on campus.

Early in the new year, I'm planning two OERu mOOC prototypes. One will be delivered using WordPress and the other using Open edX integrating materials authored in WikiEducator. In both cases, I will also set up a Moodle instance at Otago Polytecnic  to support full-fee students enrolled for the Graduate Diploma in Tertiary Education.  The Moodle instance will integrate materials which are generated from the wiki using the snapshot approach (note this is only a demo example illustrating the OERu website theme - so not all links are working.)

In short, we are planning a pilot project to illustrate how we can reuse one source of materials authored in the wiki for course delivery using 3 different platforms. This will also provide a valuable learning experience to explore the issues within an authentic open course environment.

Wayne

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.

Nagarjuna G

Dec 12, 2014, 4:45:28 AM12/12/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, OERu planning, oe...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday 11 Dec 2014 10:37:40 PM Wayne Mackintosh wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're keen to explore an OERu course prototype using the Open edX platform
> <http://code.edx.org/> as one of our "demonstrator" pilot projects
> exploring the interface between course content authored in WikiEducator and
> a variety of delivery platforms.
>
> Have any OERu partners installed and run their own open online courses
> using a local instance of Open edX?
>
> Let us know - we don't want to reinvent any wheels here and would like to
> share any relevant experiences.
>
> Cheers

We have been using Open edX at courses.metaStudio.org (LMS) and
coursemaker.metaStudio.org. If you like to explore and create courses to
check its suitability, please go ahead. We recently used this platform for
(Teach smarter with OER in collabration with NCERT and Commonwealth of
Learning (http://courses.metastudio.org/courses/NCERTX/OE-101/2014_T1/about)

If OERu would like to explore, please feel free to register and try.

--
GN
Nagarjuna G.vcf

Maria Droujkova

Dec 12, 2014, 5:47:34 AM12/12/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com, oe...@lists.oerfoundation.org
Once you find some people, it would be nice to put them on the Open edX site for others to see examples of the thing in use (screenshots and such).

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

Brian Mulligan

Dec 12, 2014, 9:38:38 AM12/12/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com, oe...@lists.oerfoundation.org
Hi Wayne.

This sounds very interesting and i would love if you could give a webinar on this when you have implemented it.

Seán Mullery and I are working on our open courses in Electronic Engineering and we hope to be able to load materials on to Wikieducator, Moodle and possibly mooc.org, and so the results of your work will be very relevant to us.

Brian

By the way, is the LTI standard relevant to this?  (Apologies for my technical ignorance on this)