developing MC quizzes for multiple platforms

Brian Mulligan

Jul 22, 2014, 10:44:01 AM7/22/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
We wish to develop multiple choice tests that can be viewed in Moodle and also be used on the OERu infrastructure (And possibly other platforms).  How would you recommend that we go about approaching this?  Devloping them in Moodle and exporting to a neutral format (Aiken?).  We'd probably prefer if the developers could use a text editor but we'd like to include images (preferably URLs of the images).  I think we can achieve most of what we want to do with simple multiple choice and images.  Any opinions?

Brian

Mika Hoffman

Jul 22, 2014, 1:05:43 PM7/22/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by "viewed in Moodle"? Do you require the ability to score them automatically, too, or do you just want something that can be displayed? How will examinee answers be recorded? I have a feeling that you're not just talking about "viewing." With that in mind, have you looked at Hot Potatoes? It's old, and not supported, and I am not sure this still works, and it's not open-source, but it is free (developed by the University of Victoria in Canada), and it's not hard to use (or at least it wasn't when I last used it five years ago). So you might take a look: http://hotpot.uvic.ca

Mika

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Brian Mulligan <brian.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
We wish to develop multiple choice tests that can be viewed in Moodle and also be used on the OERu infrastructure (And possibly other platforms).  How would you recommend that we go about approaching this?  Devloping them in Moodle and exporting to a neutral format (Aiken?).  We'd probably prefer if the developers could use a text editor but we'd like to include images (preferably URLs of the images).  I think we can achieve most of what we want to do with simple multiple choice and images.  Any opinions?

Brian

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.

Joseph Thibault

Jul 22, 2014, 1:12:10 PM7/22/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Aiken or GIFT for Moodle would make very shareable files that can be uploaded. If you're looking for a place to share you can put them (after) at http://moodle.net/mod/data/view.php?id=3 to share with the community.

Depending on your Moodle enrollment settings students could also register and enroll to take the examination.

Moodle also is QTI compliant for importing. Exportable formats from Moodle are limited though: GIFT, Moodle XML and XHTML formats

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 23, 2014, 2:01:19 AM7/23/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

As Joseph has already indicated on the list, QTI is useful specification for importing MCQs into the LMS. Going the other way is harder.

In the OERu context, given that we do not incorporate summative assessment for the open versions of the courses for the free learners, we have less onerous requirements for tracking and authentication. Moreover, objective items are useful for formative assessment and learner support, particularly when providing "interactive" feedback for correct and incorrect answers. Given the structured nature of MCQs, it should be possible to develop a custom script for converting Moodle MCQs into the format we are using for these items in OERu course snapshots. This is something worth exploring imo, perhaps as part of our community source objective in the draft OERu strategic plan?

Looking ahead to the future, at the previous OERu partners meeting, Rory McGreal recommended that the OERu network should explore opportunities for automated assessment and how our network could leverage collaborative models. There are significant opportunities for the OERu network to generate impressive economies of scale using automated assessment approaches for challenge exams. Another avenue our partnership should be investigating imo.

Wayne

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Brian Mulligan <brian.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
We wish to develop multiple choice tests that can be viewed in Moodle and also be used on the OERu infrastructure (And possibly other platforms).  How would you recommend that we go about approaching this?  Devloping them in Moodle and exporting to a neutral format (Aiken?).  We'd probably prefer if the developers could use a text editor but we'd like to include images (preferably URLs of the images).  I think we can achieve most of what we want to do with simple multiple choice and images.  Any opinions?

Brian

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
UNESCO, COL and ICDE Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic & OER Foundation
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: Mackiwg

Brian Mulligan

Jul 25, 2014, 7:22:05 AM7/25/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice on MCQs.

Yes, Mika, I should have said delivered rather than viewed in Moodle.  I think that one or two people in our institution are using Hot Potatoes.  Actually that is more powerful than we are looking for as we really just want simple MC questions with images.

Joseph, do Aiken or GIFT support images or even better links to images?  If we create the simple questions in Moodle (with images) we should be able to export to GIFT - I'm hoping.

Wayne, if OERu does not support automated assessment for the moment, then this is not an issue.  We'll probably develop the questions in Moodle.  I would imagine that if we were to act on Rory's suggestion it might be best to do it via LTI and use an external question delivery system.

Thanks again, folks.

Brian

Joseph Thibault

Jul 25, 2014, 8:37:22 AM7/25/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Brian, yes they do, we actually host all of our images on AWS S3 so that even if we have the questions used in multiple courses there is only one image shared between them. GIFT works great for this since it's html-like code. Here's an example tutorial: http://www.moodlenews.com/2014/gift-format-for-quiz-items-with-images/

Brian Mulligan

Jul 25, 2014, 8:44:55 AM7/25/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Looks like GIFT will do the job.  Is it generally importable by other systems?

Regards,

Brian

Brian Mulligan http://brian.mulligan.googlepages.com/
Programme Manager mulliga...@itsligo.ie
Centre for Online Learning http://odl.itsligo.ie/
Institute of Technology Sligo, Ash Lane, Sligo, Ireland
Work: +353719137327 Mobile: +353(0)87 219 2070

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OERu" group.

Joseph Thibault

Jul 25, 2014, 8:49:59 AM7/25/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Not to my knowledge, but I believe you could export the course that a quiz is in as a Common Cartridge and that would make it importable to other LMSs (that would need to be tested though).

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 26, 2014, 7:43:29 PM7/26/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Brain wrote:

Wayne, if OERu does not support automated assessment for the moment, then this is not an issue.  We'll probably develop the questions in Moodle.

In our OERu model, summative assessment services are offered by our partner institutions and need to operate within local policies and systems for student registration, identity validation etc.

However, the centrally hosted OERu course materials do cater for objective item assessment (MCQs, quizzes, Close tests) which provides formative feedback for learners. So it would be possible to set up practice exams with formative feedback. We could explore developing a script for converting Moodle MCQs into the OERu format to support formative assessment.

Cheers
Wayne

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.

Brian Mulligan

Aug 1, 2014, 6:31:18 AM8/1/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com

On 27 July 2014 00:43, Wayne Mackintosh <mackinto...@gmail.com> wrote:
However, the centrally hosted OERu course materials do cater for objective item assessment (MCQs, quizzes, Close tests) which provides formative feedback for learners.

Apologies for the delay in getting back on this.  Are you saying, Wayne, that there is a way of doing MCQs on the OERu system.  Is this a special feature within Wikieducator?  If you have a minute you might point me to some information on this.

Brian

Wayne Mackintosh

Aug 1, 2014, 6:39:57 AM8/1/14
to OE...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Yes, we can accommodate cloze questions and MCQ-type questions with formative feedback on correct and incorrect answers - hence my thinking that we could potentially script a Moodle --> wiki conversion, but we haven't had the need to develop such a tool.

See for example Question 1  of the Case Study on Copyright in the OCL4Ed course. This is used for formative assessment purposes and we do not track student responses. This is the course snapshot view which is generated from this page in the wiki. (You van take a peek at the wiki syntax in edit view which uses a widget in combination with a nested bullet list.)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OERu" group.