OCPAC e-mail - My conversation with a liberal from San Francisco

Charlie Meadows

Dec 16, 2014, 10:45:35 AM12/16/14
to ocpac...@googlegroups.com
Members and friends of the Oklahoma Conservative Political Action Committee (OCPAC)

++  AGENDA FOR THIS WEEK’S MEETING
++  MY CONVERSATION WITH A SAN FRANCISCO LIBERAL
++  AL GERHARTS FOOLISHNESS CONTINUES
++  RACIST NARRATIVE VS. TAKING RESPONSIBILITY

++  AGENDA FOR THIS WEEK’S MEETING

Our 12 noon luncheon for Wednesday, December 17th 2014, will be held at Olivet Baptist Church, 1201 Northwest 10th street in OKC. I had hoped to have a panel discussion this Wednesday on racial issues and law enforcement relationships with minorities, especially since revolutionary organizations are doing all they can to foment anarchy. However, one of the key speakers for such a forum could only make the last 15 minutes of our meeting so we will reschedule the meeting for another date.

Therefore, this Wednesday we will view a newly produced DVD by the John Birch Society, called TRADING AWAY YOUR FREEDOM BY FOREIGN ENTANGLEMENTS. I received an early copy of this DVD as it will probably not be available to the general public until next month. It is about an hour long, so we will start right around 12 sharp. One more thing, we will be meeting Christmas eve, but not at Olivet as we want to give our volunteer kitchen crew the afternoon off. Therefore, we will be meeting at Chen’s Buffet in the Windsor Hills Shopping Center at northwest 23rd and Meridian, more on that in next week‘s e-mail.

++  MY CONVERSATION WITH A SAN FRANCISCO LIBERAL

Linda and I have now done an Alaskan cruise and then week before last a western Caribbean cruise. I do enjoy the ports of call and taking side excursions, but I also enjoy meeting and visiting with passengers from other places which is why we almost always join others during the meals as well as during other opportunities.

During this recent cruise we were seated with a couple from San Francisco. He had 35 years in with the postal service, I never did find out if she worked outside of the home. They were telling us they were about to retire and simply could not stay in the San Francisco area or California as the cost of living there was just too high. Therefore, they were searching for another state to move to and had narrowed their search to 5 states, all of them states without an income tax.

I remembered the recent OCPA lecture I had attended with Travis Brown, author of the book, HOW MONEY WALKS. The gist of his premise is the many convincing proofs about how people are moving out of high tax states and moving to low tax states. During the Q&A session of his talk a person asked if the liberals relocating to conservative states abandon liberalism and become conservatives? His answer was an empathic NO. Therefore, being a little ornery from time to time, even though I always do so with a smile on my face, I thought I would probe a little deeper with this couple to find out if they were conservatives or liberals.

I spoke up and said, if your are not a couple of liberals, I will extol the virtues of moving to Oklahoma, but if you are liberal, don’t even think about moving to Oklahoma. Wife proudly announced she was liberal and why was Oklahoma so conservative? I gave the cute 3Gs answer of our support for God, Guns and opposition to Gay marriage. I then suggested our Christian faith community was much of the source for our conservatism.

Wife’s eyes got big and I pressed the issue. Husband had already said their property was at an all time high in value and she was really wanting to cash in and move soon. I said, since you are a liberal, I won’t tell you that you can sell your current home, move to Oklahoma buy twice the home you currently have and have half of your money left over, because if you haven’t figured out it is the liberalism that has ruined your state then don’t move to Oklahoma and ruin our state.

I suggested they were looking at the wrong states to consider moving to. In your working years, states are no income taxes are vital, but in retirement years Texas would be a horrible choice as their property taxes are exorbitant compared to those in Oklahoma. I explained how low property taxes are vital to retired people, but then suggested if they moved to Oklahoma they would probably groan at all the conservatism that rules this state.

Husband asked great questions, wife just couldn’t handle the thought of conservatism, especially the Christianity part of our culture. We eventually found out she was Jewish. The game I was playing in our 45 minute conversation was to tell them one positive after another about Oklahoma and then to take it away by explaining the conservative principle behind the positives. We finally parted ways on a friendly basis and as happens so often on a cruise ship, we never saw them again. My comments about evaluating places on property taxes rather than income taxes was actually helpful to them as they are approaching retirement and leaving the more productive time of their lives.

++  AL GERHART’S FOOLISHNESS CONTINUES

I am of the opinion the tempest in a teapot over my commentary about Ferguson a couple of weeks ago was caused by Al Gerhart trying to tarnish my name and destroy OCPAC. Our organization is the largest and most active conservative club in the state, an organization I believe he is most jealous of since the Sooner Tea Party is not much more than Al himself.

Al’s recent felony conviction for trying to strong arm a state Senator into obeying him has now cost him a hefty fine and 5 years probation in which he has lost his voting rights and he can no longer legally own or carry a firearm. Be that as it may, Al is continuing with his foolish efforts to destroy me and the good people that make up the members and friends of OCPAC.

His latest effort is to send an e-mail to most if not all of the candidates we supported during the past election cycle. He is basically trying to pressure the candidates to make a statement of condemnation toward me and threatening them if they do not. Over the past few years, I have on occasion stated my belief that Al is delusional and much of his information he puts out is not reliable. I am going to re-publish the e-mail he has sent to the candidates and I will add the corrective commentary in brackets. Al has zero credibility with sitting lawmakers, my only concern is the newly elected lawmakers who might not know of Al’s tarnished reputation.

Following is his e-mail to candidates with my comments in brackets: