OCPAC - Red Rose or Dead Rose?

John Michener

Jan 31, 2016, 7:31:41 AM1/31/16
to Oklahoma Conservative Political Action Committee

Online version

1.  Last Call for Banquet Reservations

2.  Red Rose or Dead Rose?

3.  Symbolism With Substance

4.  Program Feb. 3:  Matt Trewhella, “Obey!”

5.  Protect our Property

6.  Secular or Sacred Conference

7.  Right-Wing Raffle

1.  Last Call for Banquet Reservations

The caterer’s deadline for a headcount is this Tuesday, February 2.  If you plan to go, but have not registered, please reserve your tickets immediately here and pay for tickets here.  You may also bring cash or check to this Wednesday’s meeting or mail a check to PO Box 2021, Edmond, OK 73083, but you must pay in advance.  Tickets are $24 per person.

OCPAC Legislative Awards Banquet

Friday 5 February 2016 at 6:30 PM

Business Conference Center - Metro Technology Centers

Springlake Campus

1900 Springlake Dr., OKC, OK 73111

Dinner is served at 6:30 sharp.  Park in Lot E on the south side of campus.  Enter the parking lot directly from Martin Luther King just north of Metro Tech Dr.

2.  Red Rose or Dead Rose?

Last week the Tulsa World and The Oklahoman published this article in an attempt to start a fight between two pro-life groups where there is no fight.  Oklahomans United for Life and OCPAC applaud the efforts of the Southern Baptists in Oklahoma to celebrate life on Rose Day.

To the message that we should celebrate life, we add another one:  “Do not forget the dead.”  We hope that by having  dead roses presented to them, our legislators will be shaken from their routine responses of the last twenty-five years and look at this day and issue in a new light.  They need to hear from many different voices that the people have had it with the injustice and bloodshed.

We urge pro-life people across the state to participate in events at the Oklahoma Capitol on Wednesday, February 3 at 9:00 a.m.  Meet on the third floor.  Deliver a red rose, or deliver a dead rose, but one way or the other, please deliver a powerful message to your elected leaders that they must protect innocent life.  Protecting lives is the most important purpose of government, and it is the most sacred duty an elected official must perform.

3.  Symbolism With Substance

Speaking of symbolism, last week people expressed excitement and gratification over this article which claims that Oklahoma is the most pro-life state in the union.  “We’re number one!  We’re number one!”  But do we have anything to cheer about?

The Oklahoma Supreme Court strikes down any pro-life legislation which gets signed into law.  Practically speaking, anyone who wants an abortion in Oklahoma in 2016 will be able to get one.  We are likely to see another 6,000 innocent children fall to “private surgical procedures,” their bodies thrown out as medical waste.

If we want real change, we will have to do something different from what we have been doing in the past.  The incremental legislative approach allows the slaughter to continue, while the time spent futilely arguing cases in courtrooms merely cedes a power to the courts which they should not possess.  This year let us add substance to our symbolism.

First, the Legislature should regulate abortion out of business in the state.  That is the only moral thing to do.  Second, the Legislature should send a strong message to the Oklahoma Supreme Court.  One good idea would be to statutorily cut the number of Oklahoma Supreme Court Justices.  Just take away their jobs and their funding.  The court must receive the message that they will not be allowed to continue sanctioning murder by overturning properly passed legislation.  The Legislature has the power to do this.

4.  Program February 3:  Matt Trewhella, “Obey!”

Our speaker this Wednesday at noon at Mama Roja will be Pastor Matt Trewhella.  Christians must obey the government, right?  Is that not what Romans 13 teaches?  Pastor Trewhella will help us explore that part of Paul’s letter to the Romans at our weekly meeting.

5.  Protect Our Property

Sen. Kyle Loveless (R-OKC, Mustang) has authored SB 838 and SB 1189, both designed to protect private property from unjust seizure by law enforcement and other government agencies.  Our system currently is rigged in favor of Big Brother keeping your property without due process.  This must change.  SB 838 has been assigned to the Judiciary Committee.  Please ask Chairman Sykes to hear the bill.  SB 1189 needs to be assigned to committee.  Please ask President pro tem Bingman and Floor Leader Schultz to assign SB 1189 to the General Government Committee.

6.  Secular or Sacred Conference

Christian Heritage Academy (CHA) in Del City is hosting its second annual Christian Leadership Conference on Friday, February 5.  CHA is providing lunch, t-shirts, and resources to their students, teachers, and parents who attend.  Outsiders are welcome to attend, but you will have to find your own lunch and take notes.  Several fast food options are available within a few blocks of the school.  Here is the conference schedule, and here are some of the exciting topics:

·       “Poisonous Piety”  Should Christians Participate in Politics? by Matt Trewhella

·       “I Was Born This Way”  The Biology of Same-Sex Attraction by Stephen Black

·       “Danger Zone – Christians in College”  How to Prepare for the Challenges Ahead by Josh Blair

·       “The Real Cause of Homosexual Behavior”  Getting to the Heart of the Issue by Stephen Black

·       “Supreme Courts & Slavish Serfs”  Must Christians Always Obey Civil Leaders? by Matt Trewhella

7.  Right-Wing Raffle

OCPAC is in possession of a framed print of the Ten Commandments.  It is autographed by these ten people:

·       Roy & Kayla Moore, Roy is Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court

·       Phyllis Schlafly, founder of Eagle Forum

·       David Limbaugh, political author and Rush’s little brother

·       Bill Federer, historian & author

·       Joe Scarborough, U.S. Congressman & radio host

·       John Stormer, author of None Dare Call It Treason

·       Erika Harold, Miss America 2003

·       David Barton, founder of WallBuilders

·       Charlie Meadows, founder of Oklahoma Conservative PAC

The print will be awarded at the end of our banquet on February 5.  The winning ticket must be present at the banquet.  Yes, you may give your ticket to someone you trust who is going to the banquet if you cannot make it in person.  Raffle tickets are $2 per ticket, or $10 for six tickets, or $20 for fifteen tickets.  Tickets may be purchased at our lunch meeting this week or at the banquet.

The views expressed in this email are the personal opinion of John Michener and do not necessarily reflect the views of OCPAC, its leadership team, or its members.  We currently meet on Wednesdays at noon at Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen, 9219 Lake Hefner Pkwy, OKC.  To become a member of OCPAC, follow the instructions in the online newsletter.