OCPAC - OK-POOP Museum—It’s Time to Flush

John Michener

May 18, 2015, 9:48:57 AM5/18/15
to ocpac...@googlegroups.com

Online version: http://eepurl.com/bnJ1Oj

1.  Speaker May 20:  Trent England

2.  OK-POOP Museum—It’s Time to Flush

3.  Housekeeping

1.  Speaker May 20:  Trent England

Trent originally hails from the Pacific Northwest, but do not let that fool you.  His political philosophy is grounded in the Judeo-Christian values of the Southern Plains.  Trent is an avid mountain climber.  After taking in the puny view from 10,000 feet on Mt. Rainier, he has set his sights on loftier heights in his new home state of Oklahoma.  He recently told me that he “summited our new state’s highest peak.”  I’m not sure if he meant one of our stomach-churning turnpike overpasses, or if he scaled the back of Lake Hefner dam, but either way, he is quite the adventurer.

Trent currently works for OCPA and hosts The MiddleGround Radio on AM 1640 The Eagle from 7-9 a.m. Monday through Friday.  I have been listening for several weeks, and I believe it to be the best conservative program we have in our market right now.

2.  OK-POOP Museum—It’s Time to Flush

Remember when famous Oklahoman Garth Brooks used to smash guitars on stage in his wildly entertaining, raucous concerts?  What if I told you that you could see, in person, an actual guitar that he smashed?  You could walk right up to a display and look at it.  What if I told you that in order to see this amazing, museum-quality piece of popular culture, we would need to build a $25 million museum in which to display it?  Would you want to see it at that price?  Our state legislature thinks you would, and by the way, if the legislature passes the bond issue, you will have to pay for the museum, even if you do not like country music or smashed guitars.  Welcome to society.

Senate President Pro Tempore Brian Bingman and House Speaker Jeff Hickman have coauthored SB 839 to provide funding for construction of the Oklahoma Museum of Popular Culture, known as OKPOP, or should we say OK-POOP?  Supporters of OK-POOP insist that it will make money.  Where have we heard this before?  Can anyone say American Indian Cultural Center and Museum?  Better yet, can anyone say boondoggle?

Boondoggle:  (noun) a project funded by government out of political favoritism that is of no real value to the community or the nation; (verb) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy; to deceive or attempt to deceive.

Anyone with an MBA can put together a slick business plan that shows a project sustaining itself or making money.  It is especially easy when you begin with investment capital that is borrowed or stolen from millions of people.

We have two major problems here, one practical and the other philosophical.  Practically, no one knows the future.  Taking business risks is what private investors and entrepreneurs are supposed to do.  They invest, or risk, the money on a business proposal.  If it works out, then they make money.  If it goes bust, then they lose the money, but at least they lost their money, not our money.  Legislators do not feel the risk that they should when they play with others’ money and budget to pay it back over several years, years when they will no longer be around to suffer the budget shortfalls.  Ironically, this proposal comes when the legislature is suffering from the shortfall of the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum, an ongoing financial disaster for the state for nearly two decades.

Philosophically, this museum proposal asks the wrong question.  Instead of asking if it will make money, we should be asking if our government should be in the museum business at all.  I believe, as is outlined in our founding documents, that the purpose of government is to protect people’s lives, property, and freedom.  A museum of poopular culture does not fit the mission statement of government.

The real answer, as usual, is the free market.  We hear that Garth Brooks and others are willing to donate $10 million worth of exhibits.  Who knows how much they are worth until someone agrees to buy them?  The state could auction them.  Then we would know how much they are worth.  The proceeds could be used to help close the state budget shortfall, and a private investor could try displaying the exhibits on his own dime or on the dime of his backers.

If our politicians cannot find it in their hearts to part with these treasures, then they could arrange to display them in our history center, at our capitol, in our court rooms, and in our agency lobbies.  If it is so important to share our heritage with everyone, then let us share it in our public buildings without going into to debt to build a new building that we do not need, cannot afford, and cannot justify under the mission of government.

Our current legislators have gone into the bathroom and found that previous childish legislators have left them with several little surprises.  Let’s not add more OK-POOP to the pot.  It’s time to do what any sensible parent would do in their situation:  FLUSH!

Contact your senator today and ask him to flush this off the senate floor.  Ask your representative not to let it in his bathroom at all.

3.  Housekeeping

For our Wednesday meetings, please remember to park in the west lot only.  The north lot by the pond is reserved for employees of Old Surety Life.  Also, after 11:30 AM you must choose the box lunch or the daily special.  There are too many people crowding in to order off the menu.  Thanks for your assistance.

The views expressed in this email are the personal opinion of John Michener and do not necessarily reflect the views of OCPAC, its leadership team, or its members.  We currently meet on Wednesdays at noon at Old Surety Life, 5201 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City.  To become a member of OCPAC, follow the instructions in the online newsletter:  http://eepurl.com/bnJ1Oj