OCPAC – Pay No Attention to the Crook Behind the Curtain!

John Michener

Aug 7, 2016, 10:55:12 AM8/7/16
to Oklahoma Conservative Political Action Committee

Online version

1.  Program August 10:  Convention Delegates

2.  The Crook Behind the Curtain:  Transparency

3.  VAXXED Back for One More Night

1.  Program August 10:  Convention Delegates.  This Wednesday at noon at Mama Roja we will hear from delegates to the recent GOP convention in Cleveland.

2.  The Crook Behind the Curtain:  Transparency.  The best way to tell whether a legislator’s policy corresponds to his espoused principles is to look at the Oklahoma Conservative Index.  This is a comprehensive scorecard which rates our legislators’ implementation of the principles of good government.  It is created by The Oklahoma Constitution newspaper in conjunction with OCPAC.  You can reference the latest scores for your senators here and your representatives here

Over the last several weeks, we have looked at the way specific conservative principles are reflected in the Index.  We have covered individual rights, regulation, debt, and self-defense.  Part five of our series looking at Index issues will examine transparency.

In theory our government at every level serves at the will of the people.  That is, we delegate powers that are naturally ours as individuals to our elected representatives who perform those duties on our behalf.  We call government officials “public servants” because they are to do our bidding—do the jobs that we have assigned them.  Like a contractor who hires specialized labor, we have hired elected officials to manage our roads, manage our schools, and defend our property.  Like a contractor, we need to supervise our hired help to make sure they accomplish the job they were hired to do in the way we expect them to do it.  How can we supervise our help unless we see everything that they are doing?  That is transparency.

Unfortunately, power is a corrupting force, and when no one is watching, corruption grows all the more.  Remember the words of the wizard:  “Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!  The Great Oz has spoken.”  Too many times our officials hang up a curtain so that we cannot see beyond the dazzling government display.  Economic development schemes and glitzy athletic fields can make a government look good and the state look prosperous, but behind the curtain are struggling entrepreneurs burdened by the state and students who still cannot write too good.

The bigger an operation, and the more resources it demands, the more closely we should supervise it for waste, fraud, and inefficiency.  There is no bigger operation in our state than public education.  Fortunately, the job is broken down into smaller operating units—school districts—making it easier for taxpayers at the local level to supervise.

Financial reports of revenues and expenditures for each district fund are routinely shared at monthly school board meetings.  This legislative session, Sen. Gary Stanislawski (R-Tulsa) and Rep. Chuck Strohm (R-Jenks) proposed that these monthly financial statements be posted online for all to see within seven days after being presented to a local school board.  The measure passed the Senate 40-2, but failed in a tie vote in the House 40-40.  A Yes vote indicates that your legislator understands the importance of transparency.

Pay attention to the public servant behind the curtain!  From the water boy to the head football coach, from the police officer to the governor, watch how they spend your money and manage your affairs.  The people have spoken!

3.  VAXXED is Back for One Night.  If you missed it in June, here's your chance.  On August 16 VAXXED is coming back to OKC for just one night.  Invite everyone you know, but especially your legislators and medical professionals.  Purchase your tickets HERE.  All tickets must be purchased in advance online.  Tickets will not be available at the door the night of the showing.

Additional Notes

·         Join our Facebook group.

·         Become an OCPAC member with this form.

·         We currently meet on Wednesdays at noon at Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen.

·         The views expressed in this email are the personal opinion of John Michener and do not necessarily reflect the views of OCPAC, its leadership team, or its members.